Dambuster Lanaster query

ST1371

Hello all, 

I'm about to start the dambuster Lanc and I wondered if the bombsight should be added or left out?

I watched the film and it's not there (I realize that films aren't accurate) but wouldn't the sight bi in the way for the bombaimer to use the handheld sight?

No, I don't think they did - I remember reading this recently (that is, that the regular bombsights were both not needed for the use of the Upkeep mines and in fact hindered how they were aimed) but can't find proof ATM. 

(They did use a large bomb-aimer's blister, and have observation blisters on each side of the cockpit glazing.)

A helpful reference is the recent Wingleader Photo Archive 18, which is part 3 of their Lancaster books and includes Type 464 and the B.I (Special) planes - it only has a few pages of captioned photos on Type 464, but all 12 of them are gold! (From this, while not exactly answering your question, on p62 a photo caption reads: "...AJ-N is seen after after Chastise ...Although now sporting a SABS bombsight the aircraft is still in Upkeep configuration...).

Like all their books, it's interesting while also easy and quick to read, and affordable. 

Have fun with your model. Will you post progress reports, please?

Matt

Mark Postlethwaite also co-authored a book focusing entirely upon the Lancasters used in Chastise.  He confirms that all the bomb aiming equipment was removed, and the larger blister was fitted. The Wingleader book cited by Matt above describes how some bomb aimers used the wooden y shaped device seen in the film to determine the release point, where others drew lines on the perspex blister itself.

HTH

SD