PZL P.11g „Kobuz” 1:72 IBG Models

Kriss

While doing some cleaning, I came across another model started years ago. There are still quite a few of them in my closet and the studio is also swamped with them and it's high time to finish them too. That's just for the record. Coming back to the model, I have a model of the Polish fighter plane PZL P.11g "Kobuz" in 1:72 from the IBG Models offer (cat. no. 72523). This is the last version of the P.11 and was built in one copy. The outbreak of war prevented further work on it. There are no photos or plans of what it looked like, so a model will be built based on what IBG Models offers in its kit. This will be such a hypothetical (what-if) version. The kit comes with a choice of two engine covers as well as two undercarriage options, wheels alone or in covers like the PZL P.24. There are two types of propellers on the frames too, two-blade and three-blade. In the manual, IBG included three paint schemes, two of which are the typical gray/haki/blue and the third is camouflage, and these are the ones I chose. On the PZL P.11g "Kobuz" Lt. pilot Henryk Szczęsny scored two air victories on September 14 and 15, 1939. Returning to the model I had the interior ready, but the fuselage not yet closed. Of the extras, I used products from Yahu Models, which I thank for providing them. And they are these kits:
YMA7212 Instrument panel
YSM7227 Accessoriess

JCygFCY.jpg

dsKPoTJ.jpg

mlaF08S.jpg

7GesYyf.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Kriss,

it looks like you made a good start on the cockpit area! I'll be following as I've yet to build an IBG kit and I've got their PZL P-24 in my stash.

I'm looking forward to your next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 17:05, Graham Boak said:

If you search this site, you should be able to find a considerable discussion on the differences between the P-11 and P-24 aircraft, which should be relevant to this aircraft..

Thanks for the info, I have a variety of materials and this is also where I was looking for information.

On 14/03/2023 at 12:21, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Kriss,

it looks like you made a good start on the cockpit area! I'll be following as I've yet to build an IBG kit and I've got their PZL P-24 in my stash.

I'm looking forward to your next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

I already have a few models on the shelf and I recommend IBG, their models are very bespoke. There are also a lot of interesting extras for them from different manufacturers. I have more chequerboard models planned to build, I will post reports here.

• Like 1

"Kobuz" prepared for painting is already there. I know the photo is a bit blurry but I think you can see everything. It's just the way it is with me that I take a photo and don't always check how it came out and I keep building the model.

3txCUjs.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kriss said:

I already have a few models on the shelf and I recommend IBG, their models are very bespoke. There are also a lot of interesting extras for them from different manufacturers. I have more chequerboard models planned to build, I will post reports here.

Their range of Polish aircraft have been tempting me for quite a while, so I can foresee a few more of their kits ending up in my stash! :D The PZL P-24 kit I've got is for the Greek scheme, possibly for the Southern Europe Group Build later this year. I quite fancy an FW.190D as well..... Oh, dear!

Your build is really coming along - the cockpit looks fantastic in the closed-up fuselage. What do the long etched brass strips represent - strengthening plates of some sort? I'm looking forward to seeing the colour go on. What paint will you be using?

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 10:17, 2996 Victor said:

Their range of Polish aircraft have been tempting me for quite a while, so I can foresee a few more of their kits ending up in my stash! :D The PZL P-24 kit I've got is for the Greek scheme, possibly for the Southern Europe Group Build later this year. I quite fancy an FW.190D as well..... Oh, dear!

Your build is really coming along - the cockpit looks fantastic in the closed-up fuselage. What do the long etched brass strips represent - strengthening plates of some sort? I'm looking forward to seeing the colour go on. What paint will you be using?

All the best,

Mark

These PE strips are reinforcements for the hull. And for painting I'll use HATAKA paints dedicated to Polish aviation, but in case I need to I'll write in the post what I'm using at my place that all the planes from the 1939 defensive war are in the plans first and the others too. I have a few P.24s but I will show them soon too.

Edited by Kriss
  • Like 1

For painting I used a kit from "HATAKA" dedicated to the 1939 Polish Air Force, HTK-CS01 from the orange line. The underside and top are already in colours and I am trying to do the camouflage that IBG proposes. For easier painting the model is in parts. Masking done and I only have the green camouflage colour left to apply.

crwaxt8.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to apply the decals to the corrugated surface of the wing from the top and I'm having an even harder time on the underside due to the reinforcing strips. So decal liquids and forward, nothing else left for me.

gDakgDO.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

After a long break it's time to get back to work on the "Kobuz", I have a model lying around that I've started and I'm a bit annoyed by it. I have too many of these started models and I need to build them to completion too. But getting back to the model I have been dosing decal softening liquids all day and have managed to get them very nicely on the wavy surface of the wings. I'm pleased with it myself. This is how it worked out for me I am curious to hear your opinion, Decals offered by the manufacturer IBG Models. I thought about masks but in the end I gave the decals.

So2oJ7O.jpg

XcxZ7Ti.jpg

• Like 6

The antenna is done, so another stage of the work is completed. Just the cab cover to go and there will be another miniature on the shelf for the collection.

C1J4ylk.jpg

• Like 6

In the IBG kit there is a traditional injection-moulded cab cowl as well as an option to make it from sheet metal, the film is also included. The injection-moulded cowl is very transparent and you can see everything nicely through it in the closed option. If you want to make an open cockpit, then the thickness of the walls in 72 is unfortunately too visible; I want to show the inside of the cockpit in mine, so I'm making an open cowl. I will use the injected one as a coping for stamping the new cowl as well as for shaping the cabin frame. Another dilemma is how did the cabin open on the PZL P.24 aircraft? I based my decision on the fact that it is impossible to open it to the side because of the wing, in the literature it is stated that it was broken and there are photos of Greek machines, so I relied on them. The cabin frames are already prepared and painted.

VEZVVB2.jpg

• Like 3

The last workshop post from the construction of the PZL P.11g "Kobuz" model, this is how it looks. The rest of the photos in the gallery, feel free to visit.

DL7cxoW.jpg

• Like 3