Royal Navy Type 45 Destroyer : HMS Daring (1/350 Trumpeter)

Faraway

Still plodding on, albeit a bit slow.

This is the first time I've used these pens properly, much easier then a paint brush. @ColonelKrypton used them to fill in the window and add the wiper track above them.

Just need to add a thin wash of, probably, grey to the windows.

p?i=1356e53a4b317b7c801a97e5b9b2efdb

The superstructure is slowly taking shape, bit of paint came away with the masking tape, but not a problem.

p?i=a79efd788604b8ef637229677ad53628

Just lots and lots of tiny parts to fit, once I've painted them, probably on the sprue.

Jon

• Like 7

The superstructure is now attached to the hull, just need to fill the seam between it and the hull.

I've also added the decals to the flight deck, now need to give it a coat or two of matt varnish, as I gave the deck a coat of gloss varnish.

p?i=127b0d6700baf236a6c842015900e545

Then just for fun I assembled the Phalanx guns.

p?i=23ae48af8ef54808462a68e1e2cee132

And now I'm making a start on the 'mast', or aerial.

p?i=45b14801c5f548eb29f0f33e89704e49

My next task will be to paint all the remaining parts prior to fitting them to the deck, in their various positions. 

Jon

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Col. said:

More fine work there Jon.

Thanks. Although I must admit, I’m struggling to keep my motivation going on this one.

Funny how some builds just draw you in. Whereas others just don’t have the same effect. I think, deep down, I prefer the older ships. They seem to have more character, more soul, these modern ships just seem to be quite sterile.

Jon

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Faraway said:

I think, deep down, I prefer the older ships. They seem to have more character, more soul, these modern ships just seem to be quite sterile.

Gidday Jon, me too actually, WW2 being my forte. I would also like to do some WW1 battlewagons sometime. And while I agree that the modern warships seem somewhat sterile it doesn't alter the fact that you (and others) do very good models of them.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Everything I'm adding now is small, so it's often difficult to tell what HAS been added. 

p?i=92f8ac4d5787b24e66ee0c42871a53a2

But progress is being made.

p?i=43c020d973db6da3b6dd903d857099a0

And the end is just over the horizon.

p?i=c4d3b84766fb42c3130b54318f907106

But not quite in sight yet.

p?i=6c04a9fda1f3096e60f6ff67fd9bf722

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Everything I'm adding now is small, so it's often difficult to tell what HAS been added. 

Gidday Jon, the slow fiddly stage, been there with most of my model ships, as no doubt you have too. Those four bonsaid torpedo tubes on the foc'sle look very similar to what @JohnWS was enquiring about in his HMCS Regina build (page 14) in the Maritime WIP section. Are they NIDS launchers? (Apologies if you've mentioned them earlier and I missed them). And I lurve those Vulcan Phalanx guns. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, the slow fiddly stage, been there with most of my model ships, as no doubt you have too. Those four bonsaid torpedo tubes on the foc'sle look very similar to what @JohnWS was enquiring about in his HMCS Regina build (page 14) in the Maritime WIP section. Are they NIDS launchers? (Apologies if you've mentioned them earlier and I missed them). And I lurve those Vulcan Phalanx guns. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff.

Sorry mate, I’ve no idea. I’m struggling to find accurate references to weapon systems aboard. One thing I do know, the weapon systems seem to change quite regularly.

Jon

• Like 1

Gidday again, they look very similar. They were not something I'd heard of until the other day. It seems that they're a self-inflatable radar decoy, fired directly outboard from a horizontal tube, like a torpedo. Another member pretty much identified them on his thread. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, they look very similar. They were not something I'd heard of until the other day. It seems that they're a self-inflatable radar decoy, fired directly outboard from a horizontal tube, like a torpedo. Another member pretty much identified them on his thread. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

And that’s what I like about this forum, there is always something to learn.

Jon

• Like 2

All done.

Not, as I mentioned before, my favourite build.

Don't know why, it went together well and the detail was good, but it just didn't get the old mojo going like some others.

Anyway, a few pieces in the gallery.

Jon

• Like 4