Tamiya 1/35 KV-2 #35375

Steve147

I'm currently building the above model.  The final suggested paint for Version A (Red Army, Unit unknown, Russia 1941) is a 1:1 mixture of XF-4 & XF-58.  I'm not keen on mixing large amounts of different paints, as I either don't make enough (and then the next mix is a slightly different shade to what I had before), or, I make too much, which is really a bit of a waste, even if I manage to store it, as I doubt there would be enough for the next kit that needed that mix.

I looked up the Tamiya KV-1 (which I built previously) to see what color that was, but couldn't find the suggested color leaflet that came with the kit (annoying as I have kept all the instructions to the kits I've built). I then looked up Trumpeter's KV-3.  This gave Russian Green (1) (Mr Color #135), which I don't have.  The only comparison paint I have is Revell 36161 (Emerald Green), but this looks a bit too bright (Modelshade gives a 4star comparison). 

I'm probably ordering some more kits next week, so could wait and order the MrColor then.  However, is there another paint that is more akin to  this mix, (Humbrol, Vallejo, Hataka, Life Color, etc.) which I could order at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

This color should be similar to Interior Green

Target: 1:1 mixture of XF-4 & XF-58, RGB: #696E4F (L*=44.59, a=-4.63, b=15.99)
    DE00: 1.95 - #6A6C4B - Humbrol - AB0226 | No 226 | Interior Green - Matt | GU 2.3 (L*=43.92, a=-3.44, b=17.82)
   100x100100x100 

Or less good matches
    DE00: 3.12 - #687257 - Army Painter Warpaints - WP1110 | Army Green | GU 2.1 (L*=46.05, a=-6.43, b=13.42)
   100x100100x100
    DE00: 3.61 - #666841 - Vallejo - 71.137 | US Light Green | US Verde Claro | FS34151 | ANA611 | GU 3.1 (L*=42.32, a=-4.03, b=20.81)
   100x100100x100

The mixture color simulation is on the left, on the right are similar paints from Humbrol, Army Painter Warpaints and Vallejo that I have personally measured. Humbrol is closest. I cant rule out decent matches for Hataka or Lifecolor. Vallejo I am only having 123 paints measured. But I am sure there is nothing on Revell - I have sampled full range of them.

ModelShade uses RGB information from manufacturers website, which is usually not even close to reality. It also mentions CIE94 which is rather old color comparison algorithm, I use CIE2000 and real spectrophotometer measurements instead.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Steve147 said:

The final suggested paint for Version A (Red Army, Unit unknown, Russia 1941)

is 4BO green.   This is the basic standard Soviet tank green.

see

http://www.4bogreen.com/colors

as the link shows, it varied.   

see also

One suggested Tamiya colour is XF-76 Field grey, which is a pretty green,.  this has been used by Steve Zaloga.

Note suggested mix is Xf-4 yellow green and XF-58 Olive green.  which gives a light olive green

or, I make too much, which is really a bit of a waste, even if I manage to store it, as I doubt there would be enough for the next kit that needed that mix.

If you make too much, just add some more paint,  the colour varied so it will mimic this natural variation.

However, is there another paint

There are plenty of model paints of 4BO, so pick one you like.   If you google image 4BO green you get an idea.

HTH

• Like 1

@Troy Smith

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I managed to find that Vallejo #890 (Refractive Green), which I have, came up as a possible paint I could use.  As stated, the color on the tanks varied by who made it, batch, weather conditions, etc., so I guess it won't make much difference as long as its close. 

I might make the Tamiya mix on a palette and see how close it is to the Vallejo.  Another paint was MrColor #512, which is described as Russian Green 1947.   

As said, I did find a number of paints that were described as 'Russian Green 4BO', so I'll see.

Life Color do a paint (UA239) but apart from one company, the paint is only available in sets. (Postage will probably cost more than the paint itself!).

@Casey

Sorry, but I do not know what 'DE00' is. I do have a couple of 'Interior Green' paints by other manufacturers, so might see how they compare against the palette mix.. Annoyingly, I've run out of Humbrol #226 and was going to order it. 

Thank you for the info.

Hi

Vallejo do a 4bo in their model air range.

71.017 is the code. I use a fair bit as I build quite a lot of Russian armour in 1/72.

56 minutes ago, Steve147 said:

but I do not know what 'DE00'

it's a measure of difference from the target colour.   anything with a DE00 = less than 2 is a reasonable match.

56 minutes ago, Steve147 said:

I managed to find that Vallejo #890 (Refractive Green), which I have, came up as a possible paint I could use.

see

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/paint_conversion.php/manufacturers_id/1/page/3

VAL890  Model Color - Reflective Green =    Humbrol 102,  Tamiya  XF65, Model Air  017, Revell  45 , RAL 6003, RLM  80 

which strikes me as pretty broad spread of matches...  possibly a bit grey.   I note that @badger mention Model Air 017,  I think I have this.

Its not going to be horribly wrong though! 

@badger

Thanks for the link.

So, all in all, it looks as though any of the above will do.  As I've mentioned before, I don't show off my models, it's just something I like doing in my retirement (slowly running out of room to put them though). So whether the color is an exact match or near enough, I doubt anyone will actually notice and say.  

Thank you all for links, comparisons, etc.  

• Like 1

**Update**

I made up a small amount of the Tamiya mix and put some Vallejo #890 next to it for comparison.  From what I could see, there was no real discernible difference between the two.  So I have made a note on my paint list for future reference.

Thank you

• Like 1