JG300 Fw 190A-8/R2

Four of my builds are now entering the final furlong and there are still six weeks left in the groupbuild.  So what's a boy to do?   :shrug:  Start another one, obviously! :lol:  

I have already built one of these kits in this GB, albeit the Profopack version.  This is a Weekend boxing.  I was surprised at just how well the new Eduard kits go together so it didn't take much persuading for me to build another.  This will also be in the standard mid-war colour scheme but this time in the markings of JG300, with blue/white/blue RV bands and a yellow panel under the nose.

spacer.png

Sprue shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

So what's a boy to do?   :shrug:  Start another one, obviously! :lol:  

I’m up to my neck in other GB commits so I’m gravitating back to my four Salty Seadog builds. But I’d I manage to get to my distant model shop ( I don’t have a local one) one or two FWs might be on the cards…

• Like 1

The engine bay and tailwheel bay were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-504 RLM 02.  The cockpit interior used Lifecolor UA-133 RLM 66.  As this is a weekend kit, there is no pre-coloured PE supplied so I used the decals, which are perfectly adequate.

spacer.png

The mainwheel bays were assembled and sprayed with Lifecolor UA-504 RLM 02.

spacer.png

Fuselage and wings closed up and ready for assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Main assembly complete.  This one went together very well indeed with just a tiny touch of Mr Surfacer needed on the port wing root.

spacer.png

I applied a coat of lacquer and then grey plastic primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

I then sprayed the RV bands and yellow panel.  As the white and yellow are sprayed from rattle cans, I prefer to do these before the main colours.  I find that spraying from a rattle can to a masked area tends to leave a ridge of paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I masked off the yellow panel and RV bands and then gave the undersurfaces and fuselage a coat of Xtracrylix XA1208 RLM 76.

spacer.png

Now for the camouflage colours.  I usually photograph this in stages, showing the masking process and the application of the different colours.  However, with Luftwaffe camouflage there is no masking so the whole process gets done in a frantic hour or so, usually with some liquid assistance. :beer: 

spacer.png

Like so.  The camouflage colours are Xtracrylix XA1206 RLM 74 and XA1207 RLM 75.

spacer.png

I have noticed that I neglected to fit the outer gun bay covers, so that's the next job.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Nice work Enzo. It’s always good to have some liquid refreshments!

Youve made a nice job of the mottling with the Xtracrylics. I’ve never been able to mottle with true acrylics and found I only get half decent results with lacquers. 

James

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:32 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I then sprayed the RV bands and yellow panel.  As the white and yellow are sprayed from rattle cans, I prefer to do these before the main colours. 

Prefer to work like this too. Beats firing up the compressor. Reds and blacks work well from a can too.   You don't mention what blue you used?

On 19/03/2023 at 10:50, FalkeEins said:

You don't mention what blue you used?

Lifecolor UA-542.  It is Finnish Light Blue.   I didn't have any RLM 78 to hand but this is exactly the same colour as the Lifecolor RLM 78.

Masking removed and a bit of detail painting completed.  I used Vallejo Metal Color 77.713 on the panel behind the exhausts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...