Cruiser tank A10 Mk.1A *finished*

New project.

20230311-155542.jpg

this will be a more complex build. It has a full interior, a descent amount of PE and very tiny tracks that will have to be fully assembled. 

the number of sprues and parts:

20230311-155620.jpg

Nothing too overwelming.

This is my first kit from Gecko models so i'm very curious. I've read a lot of reviews on the brand saying it is very good and that the level of detail on the parts is great. We'll see. 

I want to do this vehicle in the Caunter scheme placing it in Libia in 1940 - 1941.

The kit comes with a figure:

20230311-155846.jpg

Looks decent. Maybe i'll order some panzer art figures in a summer dessert uniform. 

Since i know next to nothing about these light tanks it is also a good chance to learn a bit more about these Brittish AFV's. 

All and all looks like a lot of fun. 

Always welcome to tag along. Beer and snacks ordered 👍🫡

Edited by Maddoxx77
Typed decent wrong..... again 🤣
  • Like 10

43 minutes ago, PF Naughton said:

Hi, 

I think that I hav this kit in my stash too.  Can't wait to see how your build turns out.

Pat

Well.... let's say for now it's not a Tamiya like fit. A lot of small parts and soft plastic, wich makes cleanup a tricky buissiness. 

So far the driver/gunner compartement is done.

20230311-185850.jpg

20230311-185922.jpg

20230311-194142.jpg

• Like 6

This build proves to be a challenge. Absolutly no beginners kit. A lot of weird engineering descissions. Not unfixable but you have to check everything 3, 4 times to make shure the fit is correct. 

Bottom of the fighting compartement is done.

20230311-212137.jpg

Dryfitted in place it looks decent.

20230311-215214.jpg

Driver/machinegunner compartement is also done.

20230311-215221.jpg

And then i started on maybe the most complex running gear i have ever came across.

20230311-223826.jpg

20230311-223840.jpg

Suspension is movable but in this case it's a disadvantage. The spring is of very thin plastic and will snap when you look at it wrong.

Anyhow, one down 3 to go. 

Oh and the figure got assembled. Poor quality, lots of flash and seamlines and a poor fit so lots of filling is needed. 

Still enjoying this kit so far. Nice to have a bit of a challenge after some easy builds. And it's a great warmup for the future Stug builds. 😉

• Like 10

I can't believe how much progress you've made already Maddox .... you'll have this done by next weekend! 

Do I order more snacks I wonder? 🤔 

No doubt it will be another top build from you. 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keeff said:

I can't believe how much progress you've made already Maddox .... you'll have this done by next weekend! 

Do I order more snacks I wonder? 🤔 

No doubt it will be another top build from you. 

Keith 😁 

I made the most of the spare time i had. Altough it seems there is a lot of progress, there is so much more to be done. And this wiĺl be a build/paint/build kit so that will slow things down. 

Keep the snacks coming and don't forget the beer 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A great start on this one, I have looked at this kit in the past but not yet succumbed to temptations!

You are working your magic already here and will take a seat and watch quietly from the corner - beer ordered

Stay safe            Roger 

• Like 1

Hi Maddoxx,

A very interesting subject, I really like these tanks, you can get a lot out of them with weathering. Very good progress so far, and that is a complicated kit.

The figure you show strongly reminds me of the ones that ITALERI included in their Crusader kits, I don't even know what year, but most likely in the 70s or even before. I have a soldier like that, I think, in a (super-vintage) spare parts box, though it would be hard to find. It is a surprise that this brand includes something like that in its offer...🙄

Cheers and TC :popcorn:

Francis.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx,

A very interesting subject, I really like these tanks, you can get a lot out of them with weathering. Very good progress so far, and that is a complicated kit.

The figure you show strongly reminds me of the ones that ITALERI included in their Crusader kits, I don't even know what year, but most likely in the 70s or even before. I have a soldier like that, I think, in a (super-vintage) spare parts box, though it would be hard to find. It is a surprise that this brand includes something like that in its offer...🙄

Cheers and TC :popcorn:

Francis.👍

I'm guessing this is an old figure. These days resin figures are the benchmark. Brands like Alpine or Panzerart make great quality figures. The only brand i know that can compete with them quality wise is Tamiya with their new figure line. And that is quite the achievement considering they use slidemolding in stead of 3d resin printing.

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 2

On 11/03/2023 at 23:11, Maddoxx77 said:

This build proves to be a challenge. Absolutly no beginners kit. A lot of weird engineering descissions. Not unfixable but you have to check everything 3, 4 times to make shure the fit is correct. 

Couldn't agree more. I've got this as one of my (many) shelf queens, so will watch how you tackle it.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Couldn't agree more. I've got this as one of my (many) shelf queens, so will watch how you tackle it.

John.

I think most of the problems will be with the interior, altough i've read a buildlog were there were issues with the fit of the turret. I'll have to see how it goes. First i have to finish the running gear. 

Just taking it one step at the time. 

• Like 1

I've got the German version of this in my stash. Every now and then I look at the instructions, and then put it away again. It does look like fun, but I know that I would struggle to finish it.

Go Go Maddoxx!

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, Maddoxx77 said:

I'm guessing this is an old figure. 

The figure in the kit is not old, it is from a set of British Tankers that was released by Gecko a few years ago. I have the same figure constructed and built ready for painting.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/gecko-models-35gm0022-tank-crew--1197788

It is just a typical injection moulded plastic figure but with some seam scraping and detail enhancement with a no.11 scalpel blade it can be made to look great.

The figure should be the perfect accompaniment to your completed build Maddoxx which is coming along nicely if I may say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely loved this kit (I built the “German” version with one of the British marking options. Everything was well done and in the end, it turned out well above average in my opinion.  

Gecko Cruiser A10 Mk I Gecko Cruiser A10 Mk I

There are two inaccuracies with the interior.  The first is that the bow MG gunner’s seat is wrong-it is not the same “chair” as the driver’s seat, but more of a flat folding seat with a back pad mounted on the bulkhead separating the driver’s section from the fighting compartment.

The second issue is the turret basket floor, which should not be the as-represented wood planks-that was added to the floor during a much later restoration of the Bovington tank used to create the model(s).  

The actual floor had a rubber mat over a steel floor.

52747707169_7669baa304_b.jpg 52746935047_2d3b2ea737_b.jpg 52747458801_c84de85274_b.jpg 52746935042_cb732df2a4_b.jpg

Both are relatively easy fixes.

Here are schematics for the gunner’s seat:

52747998070_b77fa9b973_b.jpg 52747059632_2e6246f3ed_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, f matthews said:

I absolutely loved this kit (I built the “German” version with one of the British marking options. Everything was well done and in the end, it turned out well above average in my opinion.  

Gecko Cruiser A10 Mk I Gecko Cruiser A10 Mk I

There are two inaccuracies with the interior.  The first is that the bow MG gunner’s seat is wrong-it is not the same “chair” as the driver’s seat, but more of a flat folding seat with a back pad mounted on the bulkhead separating the driver’s section from the fighting compartment.

The second issue is the turret basket floor, which should not be the as-represented wood planks-that was added to the floor during a much later restoration.  The actual floor had a rubber mat over a steel floor.

52747707169_7669baa304_b.jpg 52746935047_2d3b2ea737_b.jpg 52747458801_c84de85274_b.jpg 52746935042_cb732df2a4_b.jpg

Both are relatively easy fixes.

Here are schematics for the gunner’s seat:

52747998070_b77fa9b973_b.jpg 52747059632_2e6246f3ed_b.jpg

That's a really nice looking build! Thanks for the extra info.

• Like 2

Little bit of progress...

The assembly of the weel sections is done.

The part count for these sections:

20230316-204404.jpg

A lot of small fiddly bits that needed a lot of cleanup.

3 of the 4 springs had to be repaired after cutting them ( oh so gently ) from the sprue.

But... after some dutch cursewords they were done.

20230316-212050.jpg

20230316-221746.jpg

I damaged all the rubber on purpose. I know from experience that rubber weels on tanks are easely damaged by driving on rocky roads ( like in Libia ) so this gives the tank a more used look.

After a short break i assembled various parts on the hull. 

20230316-233814.jpg

20230316-233832.jpg

I'm constantly checking and dry fitting parts to make shure everything fits. Often the attach points are very small and shallow so there is much room for crooked assembly. 

So far everything fits and is alligned.

20230316-233758.jpg

Next stop will be more parts of the outside of the lower hull and assembly of the upper hull.

I'll keep the parts seperate because i first have to paint and weather the interior. 

That's it for now.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 12

Nice to see you're making progress Maddox!  I feel your frustration of tiny and fragile parts at the moment!! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f matthews said:

A tip I found useful for cleaning fragile springs like these- I cut a length of sprue and inserted it into the spring and it was much easier to cut the burrs off of the springs without breakage.

52753941240_cf54582ac0_b.jpg

With the 4th spring i had sort of the same solution with a wooden skewer.

Something to remind for future builds.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 19:43, f matthews said:

A tip I found useful for cleaning fragile springs like these- I cut a length of sprue and inserted it into the spring and it was much easier to cut the burrs off of the springs without breakage.

52753941240_cf54582ac0_b.jpg

It would be great if model makers added a few of extras of those extra fragile parts for test and try.

• Like 5