PR XVI - finished!!

Ouch! I see we’ve started!! (As has the Draken STGB that I signed up to).  Well I originally said I thought I might do the Mighty Hunter, but common sense says that needs to wait till I have more time.  Then this arrived in the post 

52740702603_ce9d9e02a9_b.jpg

so I’m in with this.  More to follow soon

• Like 5

I won’t bother with too much of a mini kit review as Mike has already done one here: 

But here are a couple of spruce shots:

52739696652_0987c69a3e_b.jpg

52740624480_ff80660d9b_b.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what I can do with these:

52739696637_e97eaa6700_b.jpg

I think the tread block maybe a little over scale, but with a little gentle “wear”, they should look good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 6:52 AM, CliffB said:

Are you going with that colourful box art scheme Roland (once you can get the paint to stick :()?

Well it’s a choice between a SAAF aircraft or a USAF aircraft, and I’ve always had a thing for the SAAF 😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally, now I’ve finished my 0/400 in my own personal group build, I really need to crack on, particularly as I’m in 3 current GBs and 4th has just started!!

After the last fiasco with attempting to paint the  interior, I decided to give the kit a good wash in warm water and washing-up liquid.  I also washed the Airfix B.XVI (which will be going into another GB) so whilst they were drying in today’s glorious sunshine, I took some shots of both sprues.

52914569648_10926d5100_b.jpg

This shot shows the key components for both the PR and B

52914116401_a85a3dd6fb_b.jpg

As both of these will be on the workbench at the same time, I’m very pleased that Airfix have used slightly different coloured plastics, with the B bits a slightly lighter colour, otherwise confusion would reign!!

Just for fun, here’s a shot of both boxes:

52914569678_04307dc8fd_b.jpg

Managed to acquire some new paint to try at last weekend’s de Havilland Museum Model Show at Salisbury Hall (well worth a visit by the way).  This is AK’s latest Air range, which gives great coverage and seems a pretty good match for interior green.

52914878281_07bce3ac63_b.jpg

It did take me a while to get the paint to the right consistency, it can be thinned quite a lot.  I did about 25% thinner, but I think it would have been better to thin to 50%.

The good news is, it covers really well and I’ve redone the dodgy previous attempt

52913534867_c82d845382_b.jpg

And finally, construction gets underway, PR on the left and B on the right.

52915323375_d695589e58_b.jpg

Wish me luck!!

• Like 4

Well despite quite a lot of other stuff on this weekend, the bank holiday Monday morning did allow some “me time” and to make a little bit of progress!  

The cockpit is coming together quite nicely, just needs a bit of weathering and fingers crossed that the ejector marks aren’t too obvious once everything comes together

52935265224_d1b5d01e1b_b.jpg

The instrument panel decal works surprisingly well.

Some excellent detail on the cockpit side walls needs some careful painting and a bit of weathering. Sadly my poor time management when it comes to GBs, means I may not really have the time to do justice to this 🤦🏻‍♂️

52935503815_7cb515528c_b.jpg

Getting to the point where it’s time to close up the fuselage when you notice that Airfix ask you to drill a 3.2mm hole!!  Who has a 3.2mm drill bit?  What angle do I drill at? 90 degrees to the skin, or parallel with the horizon?

52934514852_8721645dbb_b.jpg

Decided to go with parallel with the horizon using a sanding bit and it actually worked quite well!!

52935503745_e5fa7bb697_b.jpg

Even managed to get it to stop sanding/drilling at about 3.2mm!!

52934514517_956fd663c9_b.jpg

The Airfix transparencies are crystal clear, but this part needs to be added from the inside and before painting - seems a shame to put it in place now, but what choice?

52934514717_cf2ef1bd8b_b.jpg

The positioning of the ID lights is brilliant, but again, inserting the clear lights, before painting, is going to be a complete pain later!  Before:

52935112236_f86c0439bf_b.jpg

And after:

52934514527_46c1d5300b_b.jpg

Anyway, the cockpit is coming together nicely, everything is sanded ready for fuselage closure, just some light weathering required.

52935503910_5ee8baa0b1_b.jpg

• Like 2

A little more progress on the PRXVI thIS evening with the fuselage halves glued together

52938192816_f3bea55b93_b.jpg

then sanded back and a bit of Mr Surfacer applied along the seams

52938929875_d7ef78a3ac_b.jpg

And finally a bit of wash/weathering applied to the cockpit (also managed to make some progress on the BXVI) not that much can be seen with cockpit closed up.

52937941557_1662940847_b.jpg

Well we are into the closing month already, where has this year gone??  Panic starting to set in, so time to crack on.

Managed to get some sanding done on the fuselage to clean up the Mr Surfacer.  In hindsight I probably didn’t need to go as thick and broad as the seams on this kit are pretty tight anyway.  Also added the tail parts, also an amazingly accurate fit, with no filling required at all

52944169948_5316d567a1_b.jpg

Then started on the wings and we have something starting to look like a Mossie

52944095015_e407c04a4e_b.jpg

This also meant the first empty sprue of the build

52943707876_36f127f021_b.jpg

I have to say that Airfix really have put an extra level of thought into this kit.  At first I thought I’d lost a sprue as I couldn’t find the wingtips, but then I realised that the sprue I was looking for was the clear one.  There definitely won’t be any joins to fill between the navigation lights and the wing!!  But this is going to make identifying the gaps between clear and grey plastic a bit more challenging.  I hope they are minimal as it would be shame to sand the navigation lights whilst cleaning up the wingtip/wing join!

52943107142_3019490e80_b.jpg

The use of the landing gear mounting points as a jig for the undercarriage is simple but very effective

52943707741_e251fcb3c1_b.jpg

As I say, lots of thought gone into the design of this kit; well done Airfix 👏 

• Like 1

@Roland Pulfrew the wingtip fit is quire good, but if you do find or feel that the joints need filling just slap a couple of pieces of masking tape over the lights and then fill and sand with (near) impunity.

Is your AK paint suitable for hairy stickery or is it for scare brushing only?  Asking for a fiend who can't find a good replacement for old school Humbrol 78.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

Is your AK paint suitable for hairy stickery or is it for scare brushing only?  Asking for a fiend who can't find a good replacement for old school Humbrol 78.

@stever219 I’ve used the AK paint with a hairy stick, but only for touching up parts.  It goes on quite well, but I think it would benefit from mixing it with a touch of water before you start.  It seems to dry quite quickly if brushed on straight from the bottle.  As I mentioned, I thinned with about 25% AK thinner when I airbrushed, but I probably could have gone further (disclaimer: absolutely no accuracy when I’m thinning paint, so percentages all a guess).

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Mrs RP and EasyJet, a late night collection from the airport (made even later by a delay - thanks EJ) meant an evening to myself 😇. Made a little more progress on the PR.XVI, with the first engine nacelle complete and some spraying of minor parts.  

The nacelles are made up of 17 parts alone, but the finished product looks good, although some of the panel fasteners are a little over scale.  I’m not going to sand them back though as I’d probably remove them completely. 

52946191702_f44096c900_b.jpg

The exhausts are lovely, but painting the nacelles now they are fitted is going to be a real pain.  Sadly you cannot add them towards the end of the build. I think I may have to paint the nacelles before fitting them to the wing.  

52946934824_79faa17171_b.jpg

The undercarriage is also beautifully detailed and comprise 6/7 parts with a further 4 parts for the wheels.  Have to say a huge thank you to Airfix for the design of the wheels with separate tyres and hubs - that’s made painting sooo much easier!!

52947177235_58a2f49851_b.jpg

52947194800_8a927a76b8_b.jpg

Again the thought put into the build by Airfix (I promise I don’t work for them) is excellent, with the wing mounting points used as a jig to get the undercarriage to set into the correct shape before it’s final attachment, so simple but very effective. 

I also smeared a bit of filler onto the wingtips just in case, and it looks like it was a good, but almost unnecessary decision.  The fit is pretty good.

52947177265_f456920d22_b.jpg

Having praised the fit of the parts, I did need a bit of filler round some of the camera window parts, not sure if that was me misaligning the parts, or some slightly undersize parts (probably the former), but all now sanded smooth as befits the skin of the Mossie.

52947251718_9f8b98316b_b.jpg

Having completed both of the nacelles, I’m still wondering about painting first and then attaching, so I thought I’d have a go with the 3rd Gen AK Air series PRU blue.  I thinned this a little more than I did with their interior green and I have to say it sprays well, giving a lovely even and very matt finish.  However, this is the first time I’ve ever built anything in PRU blue and I’m not too sure.  This is it under fluorescent light:

52950027060_63edcf91e9_b.jpg

and in natural light

52949793444_ed0dca95cd_b.jpg

too my eye, it looks a bit dark, any PRU experts out there like to comment?  

I’m going to try a bit of Hataka PRU as a comparison.  Also added a bit of “dust” to the wheels for a bit of early and subtle weathering.

52949576993_31205124ae_b.jpg

Possibly too subtle!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Also decided to have a little tidy up of the desk, these are some of the “chads” that have to be removed from the parts 😄

52949815984_41e2c8323b_b.jpg

Pity there isn’t anything they can be used for

How about dissolving them in a bottle of liquid cement to make filler?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Having completed both of the nacelles, I’m still wondering about painting first and then attaching, so I thought I’d have a go with the 3rd Gen AK Air series PRU blue.  I thinned this a little more than I did with their interior green and I have to say it sprays well, giving a lovely even and very matt finish.  However, this is the first time I’ve ever built anything in PRU blue and I’m not too sure.  This is it under fluorescent light:

52950027060_63edcf91e9_b.jpg

and in natural light

52949793444_ed0dca95cd_b.jpg

too my eye, it looks a bit dark, any PRU experts out there like to comment?  

I’m going to try a bit of Hataka PRU as a comparison.  Also added a bit of “dust” to the wheels for a bit of early and subtle weathering.

52949576993_31205124ae_b.jpg

Possibly too subtle!!

The wheel weathering's fine, but I share your concern about the PRU Blue.  My Humbrol 230 doesn't appear to be a very good match either and I've not yet cracked open my Colourcoats yet to do a comparison.

8 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The wheel weathering's fine, but I share your concern about the PRU Blue.  My Humbrol 230 doesn't appear to be a very good match either and I've not yet cracked open my Colourcoats yet to do a comparison.

Just to add to the confusion, I dug out an old tin of Xtracolour, who used to be my go to for RAF colours.  This is a shot of an old, half used tin, the Hataka, the AK and an unopened but several year old tin of Xtracolour

52950214318_59a1e95b4b_b.jpg

admittedly still drying as I painted it on quite thickly, but that’s just added to the confusion.  Mrs RP, who is an artist, thinks Hataka looks best in comparison to printed pictures in a book, but I’m drawn back to the new tin of Xtracolour. I think the AK is too midnight blue.

That said, this is the tail plane with Hataka (on the left) and AK (on the right) in natural sunlight.

52950214288_a3e6d0b860_b.jpg

Aargh!

5 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Just to add to the confusion, I dug out an old tin of Xtracolour, who used to be my go to for RAF colours.  This is a shot of an old, half used tin, the Hataka, the AK and an unopened but several year old tin of Xtracolour

52950214318_59a1e95b4b_b.jpg

admittedly still drying as I painted it on quite thickly, but that’s just added to the confusion.  Mrs RP, who is an artist, thinks Hataka looks best in comparison to printed pictures in a book, but I’m drawn back to the new tin of Xtracolour. I think the AK is too midnight blue.

That said, this is the tail plane with Hataka (on the left) and AK (on the right) in natural sunlight.

52950214288_a3e6d0b860_b.jpg

Aargh!

Strewth!!  I have no idea how the colour balance/tone is set on my phone just now but on the swatch the new Xtracolour looks closest in hue but is rather dark.  However on the tailplanes the Hatake looks closest but maybe a bit too blue.

• Like 1

Uh oh! Only a few days left until the deadline, is this going to be another GB where I follow in my tradition of starting and failing to complete a build by the deadline??!  

After all the help in trying to work out what PRU Blue looks like, I decided to go with my old fallback of Xtracolour (even though I hate the clean up after using enamels).

A little bit of progress in getting some colour on to the Mossie and hopefully we are closing in on the final assembly stages:

52966156503_497cce2559_b.jpg

Now to get on with the rest of the airframe 

A bit of Halfords white sprayed on ready for the invasion stripes 😳 I’d forgotten about them, that might delay things!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

52966201648_9442dc2058_b.jpg

And a bit of weathering on the engine nacelles, whilst they are easy to spray. 

52965883664_23078dafc8_b.jpg

Pity I didn’t attach, even temporarily, the bay doors 😕

• Like 2

A little progress tonight, probably not enough to meet the deadline, but I’ll try.

Cockpit masked, installed and painted. Black first then top coat of PRU.  Rear fuselage prepared for the black stripes - god I’d forgotten how much I hate try to get straight lines on curved surfaces!!

52969522687_1e09263aaa_b.jpg

Anyone got any top tips on how to do this easily??

Finally added a bit more smoke to the nacelles, with the undercarriage doors fitted (may have overdone that), but I’ve still got to add some grey “lead” over the top, so not too worried about that - yet.

52970259269_55704f331c_b.jpg

Any top tips regarding the best colour for the leaded soot?  

Trying to get it to look something like this: https://www.alamy.com/de-havilland-mosquito-pr-mark-xvi-ns645-p-at-alipore-india-image68617954.html

• Like 3

Coming along nicely.

For the straight lines I just do the first one by eye, then I cut several pieces of tape the same length for the spacing to the next line, then put them next to your first lines and run the tape around the end of these pieces to give you the second line.

• Thanks 1