1/48 Tamiya F-16C Viper - RSAF 143 Squadron

Hot off my workbench is this 1/48 Tamiya Viper done as a Block 52 of the Republic of Singapore Air Force's 143 Squadron "Phoenix". I used the Thunderbird boxing as the basis for this build.

Mainly built out-of-the-box with Fine Molds seatbelts and ScaleNutz decals as the only aftermarket used. To represent a RSAF bird, some details had to be scratch-built including the plate-mounted AIFF antennae, HMCS sensor on the canopy and GPS receiver on the spine.

The model was painted primarily with Mr Color lacquers. Weathering was done with a mix of AK Interactive, Ammo by Mig and oil paints. I also played around with some new techniques to give it a more weathered appearance.

Loadout depicted is typical for a peacetime intercept mission consisting of 2 AIM-120C AMRAAMs, 2 AIM-9M Sidewinders, 2 370 gallon wing tanks and a AN/AAQ-33 Sniper XR pod on the right cheek station.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

spacer.png

52739933284_9f4e974947_k.jpg

52739164517_e75f13a9b1_k.jpg

52740095190_9e1fcd3dc9_k.jpg

52739682866_098fde35c1_k.jpg

52740095165_5b879b6a9c_k.jpg

52739682846_7e6032d81a_k.jpg

52739933144_d0e9629e96_k.jpg

52739682716_42958a0fab_k.jpg

Mark

• Like 62
  • Thanks 3

Good show of skills there Mark 🙂

Peeps have their own views on weathering but its certainly needed to some extent (after all, monotone subjects can be ...er...monotone!). Just need to decide on how much artistic license you wish to use.🙂

Here is a shot of sister ship 615

RSAF F 16

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice build and weathering.

Although a Singapore Air Force F-16 squadron deployed to our base in Canada I recall they kept there jets absolutely spotless. I recall one time I leaned on one of their jets and they took a spray bottle to the spot I put my hand and scrubbed it clean.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone!

On 3/12/2023 at 8:48 AM, Scooby said:

Nice build and weathering.

Although a Singapore Air Force F-16 squadron deployed to our base in Canada I recall they kept there jets absolutely spotless. I recall one time I leaned on one of their jets and they took a spray bottle to the spot I put my hand and scrubbed it clean.

RSAF aircraft are generally well maintained and I’ll admit I got a little carried away with the weathering. However, spotters here have photographed local birds getting rather ratty especially if they’re due for depot-level maintenance so I decided to go that way. 

In any case, it was good practice in using oils and enamels for weathering. 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work! I really like all the small details in your build, especially the sensor on the canopy for the Scorpion (?) helmet mounted sight. Yes, it`s a bit weathered, but it`s your take on the RSAF F-16C. I call it outstanding work!! A bit jealous of your skills!

On my way to Singapore on Friday, by the way!

Check Six and build something!

John