1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Special Hobby in 2023

KRK4m

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I am glad that I only bought 2 Sword boxes a few days ago ..

I hedged my bets too, even though I knew nothing of the SH announcement!! 🤣

Out of interest has anyone received their Sword kits yet and can give a quick run down on what they look like in the box? I won't get mine till club meeting next Weds as I now have to order surreptitiously through a club friend to stop 'er indoors spotting them...!! 

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

We are, of course, already blessed with excellent Belgian,

Is that the multiple Daco sets? If so are they re-releasing them do you know, as it seems one or two are never readily available? Glad Dutch Decal are doing some! 

As others have said, thanks for doing that magnificent build of the old Airfix kits to bring us a feast of up to date kits of one of my fave cold war jets! 

Now do I sell my Kinetic 48th one to finance another couple of SH ones....?? :hmmm::)

Keith

11 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

We know the price of the Sword kit, we don't know the price of the SH kit.

And the release date.;)

I have five Swords and will get the SH when released.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Out of interest has anyone received their Sword kits yet and can give a quick run down on what they look like in the box? I

Yes, mate. They look pretty much like the RF-84F - same inclusions, same exclusions, same level of detail. The SH images show a kit that is in another league

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

We know the price of the Sword kit, we don't know the price of the SH kit. However based on previous SH kits, I'd expect both kits to be not too different in price

Local availability will of course also steer each modeller's choice.

It should be pretty much like the SMB2 in price terms, I guess

On 3/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In 1/48th please 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:
On 3/13/2023 at 2:52 AM, RidgeRunner said:

After this they should re-design and re-issue the F-86H :)

In 1/48th please 

Absolutely!

• Like 1

A little bit side question but - do I get it right that there is an open market now for straight wing Thunderjets as well? Tamiya's F-84G seems to be OOP and there are no any other decent alternatives. Moreover Tamiya was never covering earlier variants of F-84 and camera equipped reconnaissance options (although scratch conversion is not impossible).

Should SH be looking in that direction maybe?

38 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

A little bit side question but - do I get it right that there is an open market now for straight wing Thunderjets as well? Tamiya's F-84G seems to be OOP and there are no any other decent alternatives. Moreover Tamiya was never covering earlier variants of F-84 and camera equipped reconnaissance options (although scratch conversion is not impossible).

Should SH be looking in that direction maybe?

Academy also released an F-84E Thunderjet that stands up well in comparison to Tamiya's. I've no idea as to its availability, but it's usually cheap in most markets I think. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

Academy also released an F-84E Thunderjet that stands up well in comparison to Tamiya's. I've no idea as to its availability, but it's usually cheap in most markets I think. 

The Academy is one of their better kits and builds as either an E or a G, all external differences being nicely catered for.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hook said:

The Academy is one of their better kits and builds as either an E or a G, all external differences being nicely catered for.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks, Andre, I'd forgotten that the Academy kit could be built as a G too. From memory, the Academy provides internal detail for an open ventral speed brake, something Tamiya doesn't offer. Also, for a quick build, there is the Hobby Boss kit, which might suit those primarily interested in lots of different Thunderjet schemes; being mainly focused on painting and decaling. I suspect the old Heller kit is pretty decent if you don't mind raised surface detail. I don't have time to check now, but it's bound to have been reboxed by half a dozen or so other brands. I've ignored the old 1950s Frog kit as it is more of a collectable these days.

Four 1/72 kits ranging from quite decent to very good is not bad for a mid-1940s jet that served through the 50s and 60s, and no doubt the 70s somewhere. 

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

There are plenty of lovely colour schemes for F-84A thru D which would alone justify a range of 'short' Thunderjets. Do any of the 1/72 kits feature the non-reinforced canopy?

The Academy kit has earlier canopy without the extra framing.

I wish a lot of lovely colour schemes is justification for producing a new kit, but I don't think that's how a manufacturer looks at it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

There are plenty of lovely colour schemes for F-84A thru D which would alone justify a range of 'short' Thunderjets. Do any of the 1/72 kits feature the non-reinforced canopy?

The Academy.

Edit Tbolt beat me to it.

Edited by Hook

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Despite its age that is a good book to have. It not only shows the range of operators but also many early USAF machines too. 

Martin

18 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

The Academy has this. The kit is actually very good, even when compared with the Tamiya. Maybe SH will stretch themselves to adding to the Kartveli range ;) 

• Like 4

From the SH website linked above:

"And we do believe that this model becomes as popular with you as our other 1/72 releases like the SMB-2, Mirage F.1, Mirage III or the Vampire. At least one boxing of this model is to be released this year, kit no. SH72395."

Yes, yes, YES!!!!

Form an orderly queue behind me

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Late to the party here, but the release of this by Special Hobby is very good news indeed. I'm also with you Martin @RidgeRunner on the idea of SH re-tooling their F-86H to a better outline release - we wish?

I need to check out your proposed STGB Martin!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...