1/72 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by Special Hobby in 2023

KRK4m

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Whatever it was it worked! I reckon i will start my SH F-86H now ;) 🤞

Things usually are my fault! Only saw the tail end of this thread yesterday not realising what it was really about. Only gone & paid for four Sword kits! 😆 Well I guess this Special Hobby kit won't be available until late 2024 - that's my guestimate! 

• Like 1

I like what I see with one slight reservation but we'll come to that.

The positives for me:

Great surface detail

Canopy options

Two types of ejection seat - Republic and MB.

Nuclear shape

Rockets (very common NATO fit)

Do I see a tall and short fin options?

The negative:

I only see the early, smaller parabrake housing, no option  for the more commonly fitted large one (unless I've missed it)?

On the whole though, colour me happy!

One more question, when can I have mine?  I want it now!!!!

Thanks to @RidgeRunner for fettling the Airfix kit to produce a lovely model but in turn obviously prompting SH to bring us this modern kit.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

To my eyes the small fairing is fitted to the kit, with the larger one shown as a separate item with the drop tanks?

Yes, besides the canopy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

Is it only me or does this vertical tail look too sleek and too tall indeed?

I see what you mean but looking at the sprues the fin parts look okay. It could just be wide angle photography.

Martin

We now need the decal manufacturers to give us lots of lovely options :) . We are, of course, already blessed with excellent Belgian, German and Greek sets. I see that Dutch Decal are issuing a set :). Come on Kursad @CaracalModels ;) give us a US selection too!

• Like 5

Is it me or are we being a bit picky? I think it looks awesome, and even if there are a few tweaks needed here and there, it's still awesome, and tweaking is what we do!

Just be happy we got two 1/72 F-84Fs this year!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Is it me or are we being a bit picky? I think it looks awesome, and even if there are a few tweaks needed here and there, it's still awesome, and tweaking is what we do!

Just be happy we got two 1/72 F-84Fs this year!

Absolutely! Only a few months ago there was nothing on the horizon. I’m just thankful :) . Also, based on other recent releases SH has shown that it produces comprehensively accurate kits.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely! Only a few months ago there was nothing on the horizon. I’m just thankful :) . Also, based on other recent releases SH has shown that it produces comprehensively accurate kits.

I'm glad someone's happy: the F-84F is a favourite and I imagine I'll get both the SH and Sword kits, for different aspects of modelling pleasure. And also out of idle curiosity to see how alike or different they are. ;)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I'm glad someone's happy: the F-84F is a favourite and I imagine I'll get both the SH and Sword kits, for different aspects of modelling pleasure. And also out of idle curiosity to see how alike or different they are. ;)

And its not just the subject aircraft but it looks like SH have considered every aspect of it - fins, drag chute housings, AAR receptacle, HVARs, tanks, seats, etc, etc. :).. 

• Like 4

Good morning 

I am also very pleased with what I see , I also hope that a RF version will follow ..

I am glad that I only bought 2 Sword boxes a few days ago ..

Best regards 

Patrice 

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

That looks fantastic to me! Will be great if an RF follows.

To my eyes the small fairing is fitted to the kit, with the larger one shown as a separate item with the drop tanks?

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, besides the canopy 

I missed that earlier, thanks chaps.

I've just noticed they're also giving both the early and late Republic seat configurations - WELL DONE SH!  They truly seemed to have covered everything.

• Like 2

Well, if we already have sprue pictures and test builds I guess the kit is not far away, I'm very excited about this !

The only downside is that I feel a bit sorry for Sword, a manufacturer that has given us a lot of interesting postwar subjects over the last few years (and quite a few interesting Spitfire variants too...): they just released a kit of the same aircraft and this will now face some serious competition. I feel that many will go for SH based on what I'm seeing and the recent kits from the same company. Of course this is good for us modellers as we now have more choices

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The only downside is that I feel a bit sorry for Sword, a manufacturer that has given us a lot of interesting postwar subjects over the last few years (and quite a few interesting Spitfire variants too...): they just released a kit of the same aircraft and this will now face some serious competition. I feel that many will go for SH based on what I'm seeing and the recent kits from the same company. Of course this is good for us modellers as we now have more choices

I'm sure a lot will depend on cost: if there is a large difference then  Sword still has a market.

34 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I'm sure a lot will depend on cost: if there is a large difference then  Sword still has a market.

We know the price of the Sword kit, we don't know the price of the SH kit. However based on previous SH kits, I'd expect both kits to be not too different in price

Local availability will of course also steer each modeller's choice.