Can’t see images

Hi Mike @Mike,

Has something changed on the site over the past 24 hours that would stop my ipad showing any images and preventing me from typing in any text boxes? It is strange because yesterday it was fine during the day and, in fact, i was looking at one of my threads with images with no issue. Then, without any changes in my ipad settings i suddenly couldn't see anything. I also could not write anything? Very strange. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Martin

Hi @Mike,

I have discovered this morning that I have the same issue.  I have swapped to my laptop to write this but would usually use my iPad on the forum.  Unfortunately now I cannot reply as I cannot fill in the textboxes and cannot see images as per @RidgeRunner above, not even my own.  I don't think there was Apple update last night and as a precaution I have restarted my I pad but I am guessing something has changed somewhere..

Seventeen hours ago there was a forum update, according to a post elsewhere. That’s likely what’s done it. I had the same issue with a previous update which prevents me from seeing images and posting using my admittedly elderly computer.

It seems that Invision (?) is firmly committed to forcing all users of its software and viewers of forums supported by it to upgrade to the very latest browsers on the very latest computers and tablets, something that is financially out of reach for many of us, especially those on Social Security (U.S.) or the local equivalent.

So far the change hasn’t affected my iPhone, but I haven’t checked to see if my iPad is affected. But if these persistent “upgrades” continue to cause problems with participating in Britmodeller, I may have to just leave altogether, a decision I would greatly regret, as it is the best, most informative, and most entertaining of the modeling forums that I frequent.

53 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I may have to just leave altogether, a decision I would greatly regret, as it is the best, most informative, and most entertaining of the modeling forums that I frequent.

And that would be sad :(. I imagine that many BMers fall in to the same age and financial bracket too. I have noticed that even the quote function is not working either!!! 

I am writing this with my iphone, by the way! Oddly, it is older than the ipad! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

And that would be sad :(. I imagine that many BMers fall in to the same age and financial bracket too. I have noticed that even the quote function is not working either!!! 

Quote seems to be working for me on this iPhone 6s+.

35 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Quote is working on my Microsoft Surface Go.  Ditto images.  

I know that saying this won't be thought quite "nice", but after many years of putting up with the condescending attitudes of Apple users willing to spend more money than their contemporaries on computer kit, it is a bit odd (and unconvincing) to see such now pleading poverty.  Schadenfreude? 

No reason for not wishing to see the problems fixed as soon as possible, nor to disagree with the opinions expressed above regarding expectations of cutting edge systems and overlooking the needs of those on "legacy" systems.

Cannot help but notice that the commonality here is that you are all using iPad for browsing, and then state that it works fine when using another device either a laptop, or iPhone. I suspect therefore that the problem lies not with the forum software, but rather with the software on your tablet device not being the most up to date. Apple does have a habit of not allowing the most recent software updates on their older devices. As explained in the earlier threads, when companies (like invision) do major updates of their software, they deprecate support for older standards that may have been proven to be detrimental to security of internet connected devices, or are just so old, that most modern browsers/devices no longer use them, and so are just not worth the cost of support any more.  And one can hardly blame them, why put resources into something that a minority (eg less than1%) when that may have a larger cost burden (eg 20%) because of the amount of work it takes to keep those old protocols functioning. 

Have you tried different browsers on your iPad? Are you using the default Safari browser? Have you updated your iPad system software? All need to be taken into account or tested and tried before the fault can be truly fixed firmly on the shoulders of the forum software.

Gents I’m posting this from my iPad using their safari browser and it’s fine here, I’ve checked threads with images and they are fine.

@Mike any idea if something changed in the last update?

However, ive since tried in on my much older Ipad 2 which does not update to the lastest IOS and yes I cant see images in Safari or Chrome, and cant post either :( 

So looks like the newer version of the Forum software does not support older versions of IOS.

We will have to see what invision say about this.

20 minutes ago, Julien said:

However, ive since tried in on my much older Ipad 2 which does not update to the lastest IOS and yes I cant see images in Safari or Chrome, and cant post either :( 

So looks like the newer version of the Forum software does not support older versions of IOS.

We will have to see what invision say about this.

Cheers Julien, I suspected that might be the case.  See what they come back with.  BTW for info my older iPad Air is at v12.5.7.

Now - off to throw some paint at a Fulmar...

Edited by Grey Beema

I suspect it’s one of two things. The first could be the promised update of the Theme isn’t yet applied. That will be an easy fix when it turns up in my inbox if it’s the case. 

the second and very much more likely option is that it’s your iOS is no longer being updated by Apple, so your stock browser, Safari, also isn’t being updated with the new technologies that are constantly coming on stream to improve the lot of most people. If your device is no longer being supported by Apple, it’s just a matter of time before it will become a useless browsing tool, because eventually all sites will use the newer technologies. This isn’t to make you spend money (at least to an extent), it’s just the way IT works. If the majority of people have iOS/iPadOS 16, then developers code for the masses. Because you’ve been lucky that your old device still works, you eventually become unsupported. 

For example, I’ve just renovated and upgraded an old Lenovo T61 laptop to run Windows XP, which has been unsupported for several years now. I tried to post on the forum the other night (before the update), and couldn’t. It would be unreasonable of me to expect it to work after all these years, so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. I was in the lucky position of not needing it to browse, as I’ve made it to use with my ALPS printer, which is of a similar era. 

Going back to the subject in hand, the development of browsers is a very expensive and time consuming process, so to expect companies to continue throwing time and money at operating systems with a diminishing user base is unreasonable, although sometimes people will try to make browsers that work for older OSes as a hobby project. There was one for XP, but I think that’s dead now. There may be one for older versions of iOS. Have a look. 

It’s possibly an oversight from Invison and easy to correct - don’t get you hopes up though. I’ll contact them and ask, but if you could let me know the following, it would help:

• Device name
  • iOS version
  • Browser name and version 

I can’t promise anything, but we can ask. :) 

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

I suspect it’s one of two things. The first could be the promised update of the Theme isn’t yet applied. That will be an easy fix when it turns up in my inbox if it’s the case. 

the second and very much more likely option is that it’s your iOS is no longer being updated by Apple, so your stock browser, Safari, also isn’t being updated with the new technologies that are constantly coming on stream to improve the lot of most people. If your device is no longer being supported by Apple, it’s just a matter of time before it will become a useless browsing tool, because eventually all sites will use the newer technologies. This isn’t to make you spend money (at least to an extent), it’s just the way IT works. If the majority of people have iOS/iPadOS 16, then developers code for the masses. Because you’ve been lucky that your old device still works, you eventually become unsupported. 

For example, I’ve just renovated and upgraded an old Lenovo T61 laptop to run Windows XP, which has been unsupported for several years now. I tried to post on the forum the other night (before the update), and couldn’t. It would be unreasonable of me to expect it to work after all these years, so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. I was in the lucky position of not needing it to browse, as I’ve made it to use with my ALPS printer, which is of a similar era. 

Going back to the subject in hand, the development of browsers is a very expensive and time consuming process, so to expect companies to continue throwing time and money at operating systems with a diminishing user base is unreasonable, although sometimes people will try to make browsers that work for older OSes as a hobby project. There was one for XP, but I think that’s dead now. There may be one for older versions of iOS. Have a look. 

It’s possibly an oversight from Invison and easy to correct - don’t get you hopes up though. I’ll contact them and ask, but if you could let me know the following, it would help:

Device name

iOS version

Browser name and version 

I can’t promise anything, but we can ask. :) 

Device Name - iPad Air

iOS Version - 12.5.7 (latest Version)

Browser - Safari (can't find the ver but I suspect the highest that goes with the iOS).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

iOS Version - 12.5.7 (latest Version)

That's an ooooold iOS.  Was it the first iPad Air?  I suppose if you wanted to put a positive spin on it, your device has lasted a LONG time, so you've at least had your money's worth out of it.  Doesn't help of course, as positive points don't equal pound notes, but it's a healthier way to look at it? :shrug:

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's an ooooold iOS.  Was it the first iPad Air?  I suppose if you wanted to put a positive spin on it, your device has lasted a LONG time, so you've at least had your money's worth out of it.  Doesn't help of course, as positive points don't equal pound notes, but it's a healthier way to look at it? :shrug:

I bought it when God was a boy - he had just invented apples (well that was what Adam told me).  Yes I know it is well beyond write down date but this is the first app that has stopped working right.  Just have to stop reading the forum in bed in the morning or at least go downstairs to pick up me laptop..

12 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Yeah, old iPads/IOS are a pain but we're talking basic html functionality here, not advanced html5/javascripting.

It might appear that way, but they're using techniques with the future in mind with lots of talk about REST, APIs and the like, so who knows? :shrug:

I've asked the question, so we'll have to wait and see.  They've changed their help centre to a forum format, which makes sense given their market, I suppose?  It's a bit new to me still, but I'm sure I'll get to grips with it eventually.  Change can be disconcerting at times, especially now I'm officially old. :(

19 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Just have to stop reading the forum in bed in the morning or at least go downstairs to pick up me laptop..

If it means you getting out of bed earlier, you have my sincere condolences :( On the upside you're having more modelling time, but you could always treat yourself to a new pad of eyes if funds will permit? :shrug:

• Haha 1

Just to round off this thread I’ve just managed to upgrade to iOS 12.5.7! I guess that's where the issue is. :( It looks like I need a new one!!!! 💷💷💷

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just to round off this thread I’ve just managed to upgrade to iOS 12.5.7! I guess that's where the issue is. :( It looks like I need a new one!!!! 💷💷💷

apple on 16.3.1 now by the looks of it

3 minutes ago, Julien said:

apple on 16.3.1 now by the looks of it

Depends on what you're using.  I'm sure my iPad is running 16.3.2 now... I could be wrong though, it happens.