EDITED: Link fixed. Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.

The Rat

I haven't used an airbrush since my old Badger, bought about 50 years ago, bit the dust, and it was the ultra-cheap bottle type, not gravity feed, which hooked up to a can of compressed air. Only good for spraying large swaths of paint, and even doing that poorly. But I've been looking around, and I'm seeing the portable ones becoming more popular. 

They're not as good as a regular one yet, but as with many things in this world, they are getting better, and will no doubt continue to do so. And I firmly believe that in a few years large compressers will be up for sale on ebay or similar sites, as people transition. 

Here's one video I watched today that shows the present state of the art, and I was impressed: Autolock Portable Airbrush

Edited by The Rat

• The Rat changed the title to EDITED: Link fixed. Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.

There are several things to look at....

What air pressure can the brush put out, what is the spec of the paint nozzle/needle, how long the charge lasts, how long to recharge the air supply, paint cup sizes ava.... etc..

Airbrushes can be used for a variety of applications.    I remember  demos that Ian Peacock once had a customer that wanted suet airbrushed...I think it was for a tv advert !    

Personally the normal mains air compressor, will be the norm, for a long time.   

There is something about hold a good quality airbrush with precision components that can be configured for the job you need doing that is very satisfying. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Rat said:

And I firmly believe that in a few years large compressers will be up for sale on ebay or similar sites, as people transition. 

Don't see it myself ... for many of us portability is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I have a workroom with a spray booth and I wouldn't ever use my airbrush anywhere else. For me the bulk of the compressor would be an issue - I'm used to the balance and hold of my airbrushes and I think I would find that extra weight an issue when doing precision work - and possibly getting in the way when working in close. The video says a charge lasting an hour ... a lot of my sessions go beyond that, esp if you take into account a thorough cleaning.

No doubt these have their uses - indeed some people may have both setups - but I don't see it replacing current compressors.

Cheers

Colin

Rechargeable batteries give little or no warning when the charge runs out which could lead to cleaning issues on longer sessions.

14 hours ago, ckw said:

solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

With everything now having a rechargable equivalent we have a mulitude of these at the moment. 

Out of curiosity I bough the Neat and Handy set up.

I have to say that I was initially impressed. The airbrush with a nominal .3mm needle worked well enough and put down good coats of paint and sprays well with the attached battery run compressor, I was also impressed as to how comfortable and easy to use it was and was a lot less awkward than I imagined it would be. The hours running time claim wasn't far of and with a second battery charge was not an issue, as to actual battery life I cannot comment yet.

Noticing that they had a web site and supplied parts all from a UK address I thought I'll buy another brush .5mm this time along with some replacement needles and nozzles, the airbrush was £17.

'Pon receiving the brush I found that it would not work, the head was blocking the airflow into the nozzle, when slackened off a tad it would then spray but obviously the air was bubbling back into the cup.

I contacted Neat & Handy who asked me to send them a video of the problem!?!?!?

Well I have no way of taking a video and told Neat & Handy that suggesting they send me a return envelope to enable me to return the defective item.

There was no give here at all heels dug in no video no action was their position. Evidently their UK "warehouse" cannot accept returns???

Their attitude was not helpful at all, I was been treated like an idiot even although I explained to them that I had some airbrush experience, eventually I was told that it was impossible for there to be a defect as all their brushes were rigorously QC'd, now there is arrogance for you.

So a shyster company that won't deal with defective products unless you have a video suite. Like make things really difficult for people.

There was little good news however, I swapped the head with the one from the original brush and low and behold they are now both working. However if my second brush had been the first one I had received then I would never have got their system to work.

So to come back to the original post, these portable airbrush compressors have their place especially as entry level kit where tyro's can get airbrushing experience with out the initial expanse of a stand alone compressor. If airbrushing is pursued then these cheap airbrushes will give service with a stand alone compressor

Will they replace a separate compressor? Well not in my book, at least not until they find a way of adjusting the pressure. In saying that I did mount a MAC valve on the battery compressor and it certainly gave the system a bit more flexibilty but the MAC valves adjust volume not pressure so still a way to go.

the Neat & Handy compressor powers my Iwata CMs fine within its limitations.

I suspect that the idea will languish somewhat unless a mainstream airbrush producer starts to run with the idea, developing products, giving better quality and quality control but with proper airbrush company development then I think the idea could be brought on

These cheap end products are just that and as such you will be taking a chance as to their efficacy 'pon purchase.

An airbrush-mounted compressor with adjustment dial would be useful, although I think we need a more dense battery source before they become truly useful, as the weight and size of the battery must be a bit of an impediment, even compared with the drag of a hose, although I have to say that I seldom even notice it these days.  Maybe the same would be true of the tube in the end? :shrug:

I'm happy with what I've got for now though, so unless it was free or all my kit packed up in one fell-swoop, I'm not in the market.  Didn't stop me having an opinion though, did it? :D

I don't think so.  For those that do their airbrushing at the same workbench a dedicated compressor is better and more versatile.

I can see it useful for modellers who don't have a dedicated workbench - like those that set up at a household table but have to clear away at the end of each session.  Also as a secondary airbrush for those who want a portable solution like when going to clubs or a mate's house.

I liken it to the broadband in my house - WiFi is great, very flexible but where the device is in a fixed position, like my gaming PC or my Sky Box then wired ethernet is far superior.