1/72 RAAF SP-2H Neptune

G'day all,

Finally finished this one after lots of stops and starts, primarily due to moving interstate and a lack of room in our new place - can't wait to get back to our own house when this year's over! You can see my 'Harry Potter cupboard' under the stairs I'm working in at the moment in a few of the shots.

What can I say? It's the Hasegawa kit, with a heap of extras added - most of which I shouldn't have added! All the dramas are detailed in the WIP build link below. It represents A89-281, which is now at HARS and, unlike her sisters, A89-273 and the ex-Aeronavale 566, is very unlikely ever to fly again. She's depicted as she was just before her removal from service in 1978. Finished with Mr Surfacer White, Humbrol 40 Grey and 85 Satin Black and a mixture of detail colours from Colourcoats and Testors Model Master (all enamels). Weathering pastels (barely visible) to depict exhaust staining and Mr Colour weathering solution (brown) in the wheel wells. All coated with Future with Tamiya X-21 added to flatten the finish, where required.

WIP and extras detailed at:

I'm glad it's done and off my bench but it's not reflective of my current skills and will sit in the cabinet as a reminder not to go crazy on aftermarket and detailing and not to use 30 year old decals!!

DSCN0639 DSCN0648 DSCN0647 DSCN0645 DSCN0644 DSCN0643 DSCN0642 DSCN0641 DSCN0640 DSCN0639 DSCN0638

And one with the aircraft it replaced in-service - the GAF-built Lincoln B.30:

DSCN0637

Sorry about the stuff in the background but I'm a bit too over the model to care, to be honest! Hopefully the 1/48 Harvard will be better...

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Wells one Rob, gotta be one of the best 1/72 Neppie’s glowing around. Love all the extra detail underneath that takes a good OOB kit to much higher levels. So I suspect a fully detailed Orion must be next? 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just love it! You should be proud of yourself, great result! No where do you store it, because it must be huge... Hopefully enough place when you get back in your own home, although the Lincoln looks even bigger..

Edited by Fred piket
adding text
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind and undeserved words! Makes me feel a little better about it. Maybe we all see the faults in our own builds closer than everyone else does?

15 hours ago, Fred piket said:

No where do you store it, because it must be huge..

I have a reasonably large cabinet that the bigger models go in:

PXL_20230311_213445371

I'm fortunate that my wife tolerates my hobby and has allowed me to buy four cabinets for them all so far! Transport and storage while we head overseas for a couple of years will be the next worry.

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So I suspect a fully detailed Orion must be next? 

Not for a while, Dave. I did an AP-3C(EW) rebuild a couple of years back as a desktop model but I intend to do an AP-3C at some point. I stupidly have the AM bomb bay, internals and wheel wells to go in it, too.

• Like 7

Great Neptune!

Love it

Built one in my youth 40 odd years ago

Would seriously love to get my hands on one and have another crack......yours is a beauty😎

Cheers

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Thanks all for the kind and undeserved words! Makes me feel a little better about it. Maybe we all see the faults in our own builds closer than everyone else does?

I have a reasonably large cabinet that the bigger models go in:

PXL_20230311_213445371

I'm fortunate that my wife tolerates my hobby and has allowed me to buy four cabinets for them all so far! Transport and storage while we head overseas for a couple of years will be the next worry.

Not for a while, Dave. I did an AP-3C(EW) rebuild a couple of years back as a desktop model but I intend to do an AP-3C at some point. I stupidly have the AM bomb bay, internals and wheel wells to go in it, too.

You are a lucky man with such a wife!

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself and your Neppy there Rob!  It looks great... love the Lincoln too.  Are you planning on a long nose Lincoln too??

Cheers mate

Shaun

• Thanks 1

Now, that's a fine Neptune !!

Well done Man !!

I missed the kit not so long ago !!

I use a protection film when I use old decal, but on the Neptune decals just look fine...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hello, Rob,

You have completed the construction of this big plane, bravo! 👍

The improvement work you have done, like the bomb bay, is a very big addition. It looks great.  :worthy:        

I really want to build my two copies, but I have so many things to do...

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:50 AM, rodenlee said:

Are you planning on a long nose Lincoln too??

No, Shaun - the B.30 ended up costing well over AUD$300 by the time I finished it and I don't really like the look of the MR.31. Thanks for your positive comments, too. For those interested, the Lincoln build is at: 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, corsaircorp said:

I use a protection film when I use old decal, but on the Neptune decals just look fine...

Thanks CC - I do, too but some of them still cracked. You can't see the issues in the photos but they are there! Pete from Hawkeye Decals was a saviour!

• Thanks 1