Hello from Cheshire!

Beardybloke

Hello all!

I suspect that like many on here I started modelling quite young, with my first model (mostly built and painted by my Dad!) being a Matchbox 1/32 Bf109E at around the age of 10. My first few attempts didn't go too well, but I became a passable modeller (helped by working in the local model shop from the age of 15 - £15/day in 2000, but the 25% discount more than made up for that!). I made quite a bit, mostly 1/72 aircraft but occasionally 1/48 (the Tamiya Swordfish with etched bracing wires was very nice) and 1/24 (Airfix Spitfire, Hurricane, and a never-finished Harrier GR3).

All of them eventually ended up in the bin after being knocked about over a few house moves, and when I started university I shifted to railway modelling in 1/76 narrow gauge (009). This is still going now, the better part of 20 years later - but as everything is kit built and frequently modified to suit real-life prototypes, nothing is ever simple.  Shortly before lockdown I decided to get a couple of 1/72 kits again with the idea being something that I could build straight out of the box rather than endless tinkering, landing on an Eduard Fw190F-8 and a Spitfire Mk XVI Dual Combo. I was amazed by the quality compared to what I used to build years ago, with the Profipak kits having more detail than I remembered the old Airfix 1/24 models having from my teenage years!

Looking for a bit of info led me here, and I've been an intermittent visitor ever since, albeit I've only just created an account. I've made a fair few kits over the last couple of years and the idea of building purely out of the box has fallen by the wayside in about 50% of cases; but I at least feel like that's more of an option for me compared to the railway modelling as I'm not trying to build a coherent whole and each model sits more or less in isolation, and I can decide how many inaccuracies I can live with on a case-by-case basis.

I've just finished an Airfix 1/72 Stuka - a replacement for the long-binned first kit that I did on my own - and a pair of 1/72 Bf109s (Airfix and Tamiya) as a first trial of using an airbrush for mottling, and I'm quite pleased with how they've come out. I've just got a KP Spitfire PR Mk.XI out of the stash, with an eye on the Scouting and Recce GB, which was part of the reason I finally took the plunge and signed up 🙂

Steve

Edited by Beardybloke
Typo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 👋  and welcome! 

Like many, I've returned to the hobby in the last couple of years, producing the sum total of 3 new builds and finishing two that were started over 20 years ago 😳 

Hope to see some of your work! 

Keith 😁