BAOR Chieftains - Removal of Wing Mirrors for Exercises?

Redlodger

Hello everyone,

I'm working on some 1/100 scale Chieftains for playing Tanks: The Modern Age and Team Yankee. I've been watching videos on YouTube of BAOR Lionheart exercises from 1984-85, and it seems like all of the tanks had the wing mirrors removed.  Was there a rule or regulation calling for this, or was it just a very common practice?  I'm also curious as to how this was done. In most cases it looks like the mirror and the bracket have been removed.  Other times, it seems just the mirror has been removed, and the bracket is folded down and forward to rest on the top of the side skirts.  However, the film is a bit grainy, and the brackets could still have been there. Was one practice more common than the other, or was there only one way it was done?

Thanks,
Mark

Removed so the drivers could not see the chasing Russians OPFOR who were faster than the Chieftains😛  I did one Lionheart exercise attached to a British Army unit but in much faster Scorpion. 

Removed/ knocked off take your choice! The driver would be relying on the Commander anyway and as he was probably a very tired 18/20 yr old in a 60 T tank he very likely didn’t care what was behind him😄

• Haha 1