Tamiya Universal Carrier

Is everyone having fun in this groupbuild?   I know I am. :thumbsup:  I really enjoy Classic GBs as they give me a chance to revisit old kits that I have previously enjoyed building and also to build something that I never built back in the day but always wanted to.

My current two builds are one in each category.  But now I'm so enthused that I want to build another in the second category.

The Tamiya Universal Carrier kit was originally released in 1976, which is when I believe Tamiya reached the top of their game.  Scalemates informs me that extra parts were added in 1994 - I believe it was a sprue for the crew.  This boxing is from 2001.   It has a strange subtitle: Forced Reconnaissance  (sic)

spacer.png

Let's look at the sprues.  This does not look like a 47 year old kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I believe the sprue on the left was added in 1994.  It provides a crew for the European campaign.  The original crew - for the western desert campaign - is still included in the box. :thumbsup:

spacer.png

• Like 6

Okay, hold on tight rider! :D

First step was to build the lower hull and the engine compartment.

spacer.png

Which was then primed with grey plastic primer from a rattle can.  I have also primed the bulkhead and hull sides.

spacer.png

Sprayed with Lifecolor UA-270 SCC 15 olive drab.

spacer.png

I then did a lot of drybrushing with a dark aluminium colour.  Extra weathering was added using Flory washes to try and make the interior look a bit worn and shabby.

spacer.png

Hull sides added.  This one builds up quickly. :thumbsup:

spacer.png

• Like 9

Great to see another carrier in the mix. 🙂

'Forced Reconnaissance'? No, it went of its own accord...

Apologies. Ancient joke. 🙃

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The next step was to paint and detail the driving compartment.

spacer.png

Once assembled, the interior was masked off and the whole vehicle given a coat of grey plastic primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear suspension and exhausts built up and fitted.

spacer.png

The model was then sprayed overall with Lifecolor UA-270 SCC 15 Olive Drab.   The suspension was also built up and painted.

spacer.png

Tracks painted with Valejo Track Primer.  The drive sprockets and idler wheels are ready for for fitment.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And we're finished! :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a difficult campaign, the carrier crew managed to liberate this stream from the kettenkrad crew who had previously occupied it.  :lol: 

spacer.png

This is a kit originally released in 1976.  It's still a joy to build. :thumbsup: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks great . Like the crew poses . Just water in the canteen or did the campaign to liberate the stream require something stronger 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...