Remove dried Tamiya Panel liner

TK501

Hello everyone,

So after years and years of making my own blends of panel liners, I figured I'd try Tamiya's Black Panel liner. Works well enough and is convenient. I let it dry (as per the instructions on the bottle) and then tried to remove and blend it with the paint using  Tamiya X-20. Now my paint job underneath is completely ruined. It went through the gloss coat, the final paint coat and into the primer. I'm sick as a dog over here after all the work I've put into this kit to have the paint get destroyed. I'm already resigned to having repaint the spots that are worn through, but any thoughts on how to remove the dried panel liner that is all over the finish without further damaging the paint?
Thanks in advance,

Mark

As @colin has said Tamiya panel liner is an enamel based product so odourless thinners/white spirit will remove it without damaging your acrylic paint layers. My favourite though for cleaning up after application is naphtha in the form of lighter fluid. In all cases I remove gently as mechanical action can damage nearly every paint coating. You will need to remove all the panel liner and make sure the surface is totally clean and dry before repairs or there might be more pain to come. Let us know what paints you used for more accurate advice. Tamiya X-20 enamel thinner should do the job.

Edited by Ray_W
Corrected Statement
  • Like 1

+1 for questions about what gloss coat you used, and which exact Tamiya thinner it was. X-20 and X-20A are two different beasts.

• Like 1

HI everyone and thanks for your responses.

I airbrushed Badger Air-Brush SNR-210 Stynylrez Water Based Acrylic Polyurethane (white) followed by Tamiya acrylic paints(XF colors) thinned with Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver and gloss coated the entire model with Tamiya X-22 (also thinned with Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver for airbrushing). I tried X-20A last night which didn't seem to do anything in terms of removing the panel line. And as I write this and after further examination, it looks like I failed to look closely at the bottle I purchased from my local hobby store today and it is actually Tamiya Lacquer thinner (the bottle with the yellow cap I used that caused all the damage. What a puz I am!! If I pick up a bottle of X-20, will that allow me to remove the dried panel liner without messing up my acrylic XF colors?

Thanks again for all the help and feedback on this topic in advance!

Edited by TK501
third grade level english grammar cleanup
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TK501 said:

If I pick up a bottle of X-20, will that allow me to remove the dried panel liner without messing up my acrylic XF colors?

Enamel thinner will do the trick, I clean my Tamiya liners from acrylics with Humbrol enamel thinner for example because I have a spare bottle.

47 minutes ago, TK501 said:

f I pick up a bottle of X-20, will that allow me to remove the dried panel liner without messing up my acrylic XF colors?

Apologies, I am even getting confused. Yes X-20 is Tamiya Enamel Thinner. It should do the trick. I have not tried it preferring White Spirits or Naphtha. One reason I like the Naphtha is it is not very aggressive and flashes off quickly without the long drying times of the white spirit.

9 hours ago, colin said:

ops TK501 that's one you wont repeat I bet

I heartily agree with you!!

Ok, so once again thanks to all who responded; a valuable lesson was learned. 

After calling my local hobby shop and was told they did not have the X-20, I took @Ray_W advice and visited my local Home Depot, picking up some Naphtha. With beads of sweat from nerves dotting my forehead, I went about removing the dried panel liner from the model. It worked out far better than I expected and am preparing to repaint the damaged areas after thoroughly cleaning all traces of panel liner and Naptha.

I'll start posting some images here soon in a separate thread. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1