Photo Album ID request

Hi,

I have been lucky enough to have been lent a photo album which will be of interest if I am allowed to post. (Later!)

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what this ship is?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dv0L2emHp5HmpgJJ5_RzIeG4sdoBNSaR/view?usp=share_link

Photo album started on Benbow in the Med and went onto Hermes in China Station. This photo at start of album so probably early to mid 1920s.

Many thanks

Hi,

She looks similar to this picture of HMS Invincible from Wikipedia.

Regards

Pat

HMS Invincible, Battle of the Falkland Islands (Warships To-day, 1936) - Invincible-class battlecruiser - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible-class_battlecruiser#/media/File:HMS_Invincible,_Battle_of_the_Falkland_Islands_(Warships_To-day,_1936).jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi

42 minutes ago, PF Naughton said:

It does not look similar - it is exactly the same picture!

Here is a scan of the print with a higher resolution.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vVFBVCRJlcsp6DhQuGB6H3mEcaRZ4dFK/view?usp=share_link

(4 megs)

It is the first picture in the album.

I wonder if his father was on that ship when it went down.

I am off to ask the owner.

Many thanks PFN!🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

Gidday, I thought it was HMS Inflexible, in pursuit of Von Spee's squadron off the Falklands, 8th December 1914. I thought the photo was taken from HMS Invincible, a sister-ship. I can't tell the difference between the two ships myself, though. But I think it's fair to say it's one of them. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Gidday, further to the above, I've just found a slightly clearer photo of those linked to above. I still can't make out the flags at the extreme mast-heads but if one is a Vice-Admiral's flag then it could be HMS Invincible after all, as she was the flagship at the Falklands. (If in fact this was where the photo was taken). HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Of the three ships in the class, Inflexible's forefunnel was rasied in 1911, Indomitables's in 1910 and Invincible's in 1915.  Together with the anti-rangefinder spirals on the topmasts, which were fitted to Invicible during the Falklands period, this indicates that the photo shows Invincible.

Edited by Our Ned
Typo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Our Ned said:

Together with the anti-rangefinder spirals on the topmasts, which were fityted to Invicible during the Falklands period, this indicates that the photo shows Invincible.

Gidday Ned, that's pretty conclusive. Many thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Our Ned said:

this indicates that the photo shows Invincible.

Thank you Our Ned.

And Arnold.

🙂

I have not heard back from the owner yet, which makes me think that this is all news to him.

Isnt it odd how war resonates down the generations.

• Like 1

It was news to him, he has gone off to “ask some questions of his aunties”.

Attached are three more extracts from a picture of Naval units passing Constantinople around the time of the Chanak crisis of 1922. Or at least that is the family tradition.
Number 1 shows what I think is a light cruiser followed by three heavy Hawkins class cruisers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ta3v-E1EFsxc9r2ZUtGiGuZhBhGZ7D3f/view?usp=share_link

Number 2 shows another light cruiser and what I would ignorantly call a dreadnaughty type thing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j3rl5a1ZRN_tYebqoB9woGm-MSscJO5E/view?usp=share_link

Number 3 shows some ships moored at right angles to shore. First one is a (nice looking) destroyer, but the rest look to be commercial or maybe support.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VE294vQmkrJZ0sTzWRy8qO-VHW7SBlJt/view?usp=share_link

I know a bit about aeroplanes but am a numpty when it comes to ships, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Would Chanak fit?

Gidday @Andrew Patmore, in that first photo the three large warships look more like RN battleships to me.

In the second photo the first (left) ship certainly looks like a RN cruiser, I'm wondering if the other in the foreground is an Italian Vittorio Emanuele class pre-dreadnought battleship.

In the third photo that destroyer is American, known as a 'flush decker' or 'four stacker', sometime a 'four piper'. 

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

The three large ships in the first image look like RN battleships. I'd say likely Iron Dukes or just maybe KGV class- members of both were in the Med at around that time.

The 'commercial' ships behind the American destroyer could actually be naval cutters/ dispatch vessels. In this period these smaller ships tended to have a yacht-like appearance. 

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I'm wondering if the other in the foreground is an Italian Vittorio Emanuele class pre-dreadnought battleship.

Yes, definitely a member of the Regina Elena class. (Incidentally, an outrageously good looking design in my view!)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Andrew Patmore said:

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Quite the international affair!

Not surprising really. At one point the Chanak crisis was looking like the summer of 1914 all over again. The UK conservative 'hawks' were clamouring for a war- claiming nothing less than a Turkish/Soviet takeover of the whole near east was on the cards. As it turned out cautious anti-war voices in Italy and France prevailed, and for the first time the Commonwealth nations made it clear to Westminster that their support would not be forthcoming- which was a significant historic moment in its own right. In the UK the fallout from the blundered crisis ultimately contributed to Lloyd-George's collapse and for Churchill (his partner in crime) it was yet another example of the numerous strategic miscalculations he made that had the potential to (and in many cases actually did) result in military catastrophes. Of course most of these are largely forgotten in popular history!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

There are some really good photos of ships, some close up and clear. I am going through and scanning at 1200ppi the best examples. The photos that rock my boat (pun intended) are some shots of Fairey Flycatchers and FIIID/Fs.
I need to discuss with the owner before plastering these on the internet, though that is certainly the goal. 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Andrew Patmore said:

Gidday, I was interested in the second photo of the page, and in particular the caption. It states that it was HMS Invincible at the Falkland Islands in November 1914, and that she was sunk there. But the battle was fought in December 1914 (a minor point), and HMS Invincible certainly survived it. She was sunk at Jutland in 1916.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1