WW2 Aircraft Exhaust Colour?

dr_gn

All,

Any suggestions for a good paint mix for WW2 aircraft exhausts? 

It’s a kind of very dark copper / brownish black colour, over which I can apply some weathering powder to represent exhaust staining.

I’m not after a heavily weathered/corroded effect.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, dr_gn said:

It’s a kind of very dark copper / brownish black colour

Try Tamiya XF-84 Burnt Iron

pic and caption by a @dogsbody

"Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron and did a bit of weathering with Tamiya Pastels Burnt Red. They will need some lighter colours yet."

46072033212_dd5651595b_b.jpg

for worn in exhaust it's a good start, note the exhaust deposit on 2nd and 3rd exhaust here is pale, from running a lean mixture. 

16804377395_ef98bef002_b.jpgSpitfire Mk. IIA, 1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=spitfire&user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1

Wartime period colour of Spitfires, a few you can see the exhaust colour well.

Exhaust start as bare steel, and then discolour, think F-100 rear fuselage. 

HCS-Color-Chart.jpg

they will if left corrode and go more like the Spitfire.

For a fresher exhaust

I tried a mix of gunmetal and dark blue, which would make a nice party dress... then tried a Vallejo rust wash,  which made sparkly orange, so tried dulling it down with my grey wash and some hull red,  and then dabbed on some very thinned blue,  wiping off the excess each time.... which got me here,  you can add pastels to dull down and add exhaust deposits.

32491546317_bd3727092d_b.jpg

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Try Tamiya XF-84 Burnt Iron

pic and caption by a @dogsbody

"Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron and did a bit of weathering with Tamiya Pastels Burnt Red. They will need some lighter colours yet."

46072033212_dd5651595b_b.jpg

for worn in exhaust it's a good start, note the exhaust deposit on 2nd and 3rd exhaust here is pale, from running a lean mixture. 

16804377395_ef98bef002_b.jpgSpitfire Mk. IIA, 1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

from 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=spitfire&user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1

Wartime period colour of Spitfires, a few you can see the exhaust colour well.

Exhaust start as bare steel, and then discolour, think F-100 rear fuselage. 

HCS-Color-Chart.jpg

they will if left corrode and go more like the Spitfire.

For a fresher exhaust

I tried a mix of gunmetal and dark blue, which would make a nice party dress... then tried a Vallejo rust wash,  which made sparkly orange, so tried dulling it down with my grey wash and some hull red,  and then dabbed on some very thinned blue,  wiping off the excess each time.... which got me here,  you can add pastels to dull down and add exhaust deposits.

32491546317_bd3727092d_b.jpg

HTH

Thanks for that. 

BTW I don’t think the visible parts of the exhausts would be “bare steel”, more like a type of inconel or nickel based alloy. Their heat discolouration would therefore be different from the chart. 

Also remember that the fuel used, especially Allied fuel, was highly leaded, which would leave grey staining on anything to the rear of the exhaust outlets. Not black, but fairly dark grey.

Chris

Your suggestions seems good although I am not tied to any one exhaust colour because as others have said they all vary. I like to study any photos both period and current warbirds (with the usual caveats in terms of modern fuels and materials) to see what's going on and then try to replicate. I prefer working off an airbrushed black base and then use Gunze's Mr Metal Color various shades (iron, dark iron, stainless, brass, copper) airbrushed, some targeted brush painting with the same and then polish or not depending where and what I am trying to achieve. The variation you can achieve creates some nice effects quickly (but not cheaply). Then some exhaust staining depending on the subject and its environment. Here are some 1/48 examples:

Bf 109G-2 before exhaust

BG Bf-109 G2 Construction 40

PZL P.24B before exhaust

PZL P24B Construction 60

Bf-109G-14 after exhaust

BM BF-109G6 Construction 62

Spitfire Mk I before exhaust

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_109

Spitfire Mk.VC after exhaust

Painting_Exhausts_2

Ray

• Like 3

On 07/03/2023 at 17:52, dr_gn said:

BTW I don’t think the visible parts of the exhausts would be “bare steel”, more like a type of inconel or nickel based alloy. Their heat discolouration would therefore be different from the chart. 

Quite possibly.  It was suggestion as to ways an exhaust may appear.   You maybe able to find a more appropriate discoloration chart.

while looking for something else I spotted this in out Sea Hurricane walkround, which look to be a brand new set of exhaust pipes. 

sh49.jpg

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76586-hawker-sea-hurricane/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Quite possibly.  It was suggestion as to ways an exhaust may appear.   You maybe able to find a more appropriate discoloration chart.

while looking for something else I spotted this in out Sea Hurricane walkround, which look to be a brand new set of exhaust pipes. 

sh49.jpg

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76586-hawker-sea-hurricane/

Thanks. Yes it's a tricky subject  - so many variations, but if you get it wrong, it's immediately apparent!

• Like 1