1/8th Scale Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza - Complete

It’s taken over thirty-nine years, but now I’m finally calling the Pocher Monza complete. Purchased from Grand Prix Models in Radlett in the autumn of 1983, I started on it in 1984. For probably thirty or so of the intervening years it received no attention at all – it’s hard to explain why it was so often put aside in favour of other projects, just that my attraction to new things has always been greater than my commitment to finishing existing projects.

There are a few things I’m not entirely happy with which I may revisit once I’ve had a break from it, but on the whole I’m happy with the result. I prefer it without the cycle wings, so that’s how it will be displayed from now on.

Just about everything visible externally on the fully assembled car is original Pocher i.e. all bodywork, suspension, wheels and tyres, engine and gearbox. The only non-kit additions are the rear lights, number plates, rear view mirror and exhaust heat shield.

The only after-market additions are the metal foot pedals, the instrument decals, the engine/chassis plate decals, the photo etched radiator badge (I lost the original) and the coach bolts for wire locking.

There are more photos in my Flickr album: The Finished Monza

P3077146.jpg

P3077156.jpg

P3077170.jpg

P3077173.jpg

P3077180.jpg

P3077182.jpg

P3077186.jpg

P3077194.jpg

P3077196.jpg

P3077210.jpg

P3077219.jpg

P3077221.jpg

P3077223.jpg

P3077224.jpg

P3077227.jpg

P3077233.jpg

P3077235.jpg

P3077247.jpg

P3077251.jpg

P3077263.jpg

P3077267.jpg

P3077269.jpg

P3077287.jpg

P3077289.jpg

P3077307.jpg

P3077311.jpg

P3077315.jpg

P3077326.jpg

P3077335.jpg

P3077345.jpg

P3077383.jpg

P3077389.jpg

P3077391.jpg

P3077393.jpg

P3077411.jpg

P3077415.jpg

P3077419.jpg

P3077421.jpg

P3077454.jpg

P3077458.jpg

P3077466.jpg

P3077486.jpg

P3077487.jpg

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 40

You could just jump into at and drive off, couldn't you? Until that last picture, that is. Fabulous work and well worth the elapsed time. You should nip down to Margate... that one looks a lot better than the one in the Pocher display down there. Depending how you're planning on displaying it, you might want to consider some sort of perspex pillar or cradle underneath -- all the ones on show were starting to sag and the wheels were splaying out, unlike the accurate looking inward front camber on your brilliant model!

Truly a brilliant build.

All the best,

Matt

• Thanks 1

That's quite excellent! 

Of course, you have me wondering if this one shot below is actually a separate 1/24 model in a diorama just to mess with us? :rofl2:

7 hours ago, Camwader said:

P3077487.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Absolutely fantastic - that old cliché 'it looks real' absolutely does hold true in this case! 

Just magnificent modelling and well worth the extended build period! 

The photos are terrific too!

Keith

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's quite excellent! 

Of course, you have me wondering if this one shot below is actually a separate 1/24 model in a diorama just to mess with us? :rofl2:

dnl42 - You need to re-assess your idea of 1/24 scale - the model on that bench is as wide as the chair and filing cabinet - nice idea though, and a trick I have been guilty of before 😀

19 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You could just jump into at and drive off, couldn't you? Until that last picture, that is. Fabulous work and well worth the elapsed time. You should nip down to Margate... that one looks a lot better than the one in the Pocher display down there. Depending how you're planning on displaying it, you might want to consider some sort of perspex pillar or cradle underneath -- all the ones on show were starting to sag and the wheels were splaying out, unlike the accurate looking inward front camber on your brilliant model!

Truly a brilliant build.

All the best,

Matt

Matt, I visited the Hornby centre a few years ago when they had just opened the Pocher exhibition. All of the older models were looking quite tired even then. I will definitely support my Alfa in some way. I noticed during my build that the bonnet and body gaps varied depending on whether the model was on its wheels or on the work stands - if the real world Monza had had such a flexible chassis it would have handled like a blancmange.

WOW! I was a bit confused at first because I thought, why show photos of the actual car, where's the model, only when you put the spray cans with it that I realised it was the model

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomasz Zamiara said:

I never had the courage... It's beautiful!

Tomasz, If I had known at the outset what was going to be involved in producing a model of an acceptable quality, I wouldn't have had the courage either. Back in the pre-internet '80s, the only source of information about these kits was various modeling magazines, and they all seemed to rave about Pocher models. With the information that's readily available now, I wouldn't have gone near it. The Pocher Monza is isn't too bad in terms of quality of manufacture - the plastic mouldings are OK but obviously nowhere near modern quality, and all the miniature metal parts are pretty good. What lets it down is the poor design which leads to very poor fit of major components, needing an awful lot of remedial action.

• Like 1

Hi Camwader

What a superb model! It looks so realistic.

I live in Shefford, just down the road from you and would love to see your model in the flesh sometime.

I have the Pocher Mercedes to build that has been in my stash since since the Eighties a bit like your kit you resurrected from storage.

It might give me some inspiration to actually get and build it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Hi Camwader

What a superb model! It looks so realistic.

I live in Shefford, just down the road from you and would love to see your model in the flesh sometime.

I have the Pocher Mercedes to build that has been in my stash since since the Eighties a bit like your kit you resurrected from storage.

It might give me some inspiration to actually get and build it!

Noel, I've sent you a PM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I like photos and impressive model. Absolutely it's worth of time you used for that. And nice to see this not so typical colour.

Vesa, The first real Alfa Monza that I saw was this colour, at a Silverstone Classic meeting around 2001. The vast majority are finished in red, so I wanted to be a bit different. I've seen photos on the internet of one or two other Pocher Monzas finished in this colour.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lvp said:

Can we please hear what she sounds like at idle! And how was the traction in the snow?

You are a MASTER!

Lvp - Thanks for the compliment. I don't know how familiar you are with Pocher Alfas, but they come with pistons and a crankshaft, so you can turn the starting handle and watch the pistons go up and down. Of course, to see this, you have to take the cylinder head off. If you want an accurate model with plumbing and wiring in place, then a removeable cylinder head is not really practical. So mine has no pistons, hence it's very quite at idle. Traction's great though with me pushing 😄 They also provide rudimentary crankshafts that are not connected to anything. Along with the 'working' brakes, these features are the sort of thing you'd find on a toy, not a quality model - in my opinion.

I only occasionally dip into the car section as i'm more of a plane/ship person but glad i did today !! That is really stunning, you feel like you could literally hop in and drive off. I used to have a few Pocher kits in my stash but let them go a few years ago, this is almost making me wish i'd kept a couple.

• Like 1