AdrianMF's 1/72 H2K (ex-Hasegawa) Draken - Finished

AdrianMF

I'm in with this one:

A755-EBF0-BCBB-4501-91-F3-2948-B65-D4-F7

It will be done in one of the kit schemes, in camouflage, not yet sure whether to go red tail fin or not.

I know next to nothing about these things so will concentrate on building as nicely as I can out of the box.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

On 3/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, AdrianMF said:

I'm in with this

Adrian,

This kit is less than thirty years young. Do you think what does it mean for your reputation!🤭

On 3/5/2023 at 9:37 PM, AdrianMF said:

Red tail fin or not.

Absolutely Red! My favourite since I first time saw it!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

less than thirty years

I've got an F-106A on the go in the Big in Japan GB and that's 54 years old (1969), so I haven't gone over to the Dark Side yet!!

Regards,

Adrian :)

PS red it will be...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I made some bench time. I've got the cockpit done, adding only some seat belts from wine bottle foil:

C97-E6-D84-C814-4-BC1-865-A-2-A960-AA87-

I didn't think I'd get much weight in the nose cone so I added a couple of lumps behind the cockpit:

0-A46-E583-085-C-458-C-A4-E2-6-B4-ED73-B

This is my first modern era Hasegawa kit and I have to say I'm rather blown away by the detail, fit and general loveliness of it all!

I have been inspired by @Andwil to add some intake trunking, so I just have to do that and I can close up.

• Like 5

Right, trunking:

CA503784-4-EE5-49-D3-BA7-D-D52-A2-B1737-

Was it worth it? Bear in mind this is before I add the intake extensions:

B0454-CF6-818-A-4530-8-BCA-28-DD266-BE47

Well, I know it's there. I should find out what colour the intake insides are next, so it won't bother me knowing that they are invisible and the wrong colour 🙄

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

All hand painted?

Hasegawa provide decals for the instrument panel and consoles. They are brilliant - very detailed, in register, and you don't even need to trim excess film off the edges. I added the seat belts but that was it.

I am loving this kit, except for the times where I'm caught out by my own clumsiness and mess perfect parts up while trimming off the sprue gates or putting them together. Normally it doesn't matter on the sort of kit I build, because it would all get lost in the filler and sanding. I need to reach a higher plane of modelling*

Regards,

Adrian

* ...or get back to building rubbish kits!

• Like 1

I like the kit very much, but have got used to dealing with a little softer plastic than Hasegawa's. I tend to notice the difference in cleaning the sprue gates, and these seem to have like "roots" in the kit part. Of course it is caused by my clumsiness, lack of skills and patience only :whistle:

• Haha 1

Thanks Andre, duly painted aluminium:

77-CBC724-ED17-45-AE-815-E-9-C3382057-DE

I also added some "busy detail" to the upper cockpit walls with a pen and scratching back to plastic.

Trunking is much better now that it's the right colour :whistle:

F1-C25-C52-379-A-4-E1-F-A514-AA1-ED48948

The real things were of course rounded and wonderfully sinuous, but I think that would be a waste of Milliput and an afternoon...

[edit] the long thin radar viewing tube has fallen off the instrument panel and vanished without trace since the last post. I wasn't terribly happy with it anyway so I am making a new shorter viewing tube out of some plastic rod.

• Like 3

In a steep vertical climb waiting for the cement to dry on wings, intakes and nose cone:

FC9-AF55-E-6-D9-C-4-CC4-9372-2-D6-BB0-BB

The intakes seem a bit shallow top to bottom, so I aligned them at the top edge and there will be a bit of filling and sanding needed on the underside:

8-E942-CE6-2-BEC-457-A-9891-17-BDFEE11-A

You can see from the stress marks that I managed to pull the bottom edges a bit further out but it will still need a touch of filler. I don't know if it was me or the kit parts being a bit off. Given that I'm not used to tight tolerances I can believe it was me!

Given that the body is camouflaged and the fin is red, I'm going to leave them separate until after painting. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Got my underside intakes blended in:

2125731-A-2724-45-E0-BEC8-DED5773-BA8-CA

So was it enough to quench your usual thirst to fill and sand?

Just kidding, mate :wink:

I remember some work was also needed to settle the exhaust shroud parts (been very long ago so not sure if it was the kit or me).

Nice pit and blending in of the intakes. It's a nice looking Draken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/03/2023 at 00:32, PattheCat said:

So was it enough to quench your usual thirst to fill and sand?

Bizarrely, having decided in my head that this is a "perfect kit", I now find myself mildly outraged when the slightest thing doesn't click together with Lego-like precision. Go figure...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3