Bits in paint - how best to fix

S-boat 55

Hi All,

I'm in the closing stages of a build and having needed to paint some parts during assembly I mixed all of the paint, it's then taken me weeks and weeks to get to the point of doing the main spray and you guessed it the mixed paint in the tajiya mixing jar has started to cure in places, hoped it'd come back with a long mix as it needed thinning anyway, but no joys, loads of bits of 'film' in it that just clog the airbrush, 

Any idea what I could use to strain it? I've heard people suggest coffee filters but no idea of that's a legitimate idea or not. Can't get more paint as it's out of stock, 

Help!!!!!!! 

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55

Try a pair of ladies tights or a fairly loose woven piece of cloth as your filter. Coffee filters aren't open enough to let the paint particles through.

I reckon the tights are best, BUT, test your mix with em first. Some thinners will dissolve the mesh.

Regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Try a pair of ladies tights or a fairly loose woven piece of cloth as your filter. Coffee filters aren't open enough to let the paint particles through.

I reckon the tights are best, BUT, test your mix with em first. Some thinners will dissolve the mesh.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll give it a go 

I had this with some old xtracrylix. I ended up using a bit of gauze as the etch gauze I had for intake covers was too fine.

I bought a few square metres of paint filter material from eBay for a few quid.  Under a tenner from that there China, if I remember.  Took a week to get here, and I occasionally cut a few square inches from it to strain any paint that's got bits in it, usually older Alclad, which has a habit of going gritty as it ages, particularly the darker metallic shades.  The holes are measured in microns, so nothing escapes filtration when you use it, and for the price, it's disposable :)

• Like 2

Inserts for £6.52

On 10/03/2023 at 17:51, cpoud117 said:

AK makes a purification cup if you want to go with a purposed-built tool

https://ak-interactive.com/product/airbrush-purification-cup/

Much cheaper on AliExpress (as usual) and you get two of them!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005209503221.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef18022iWSZt

Edited by Mr_Sworld
Wrong link
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can get proper paint filters the same as used in autobody repair shops, they will work fine to get out any bits in the paint. 

One of the reasons why I only mix the quantity of paint I'm using. I've never been fond of mixing big batches of paint and storing it. The thinner and paint separate over time, or, as you found out, the paint can dry in the bottle and cause all sorts of problems later on.