Thoughts on the Takom FV432 1/72

AMStreet

I am currently building the 1/72 version of the Takom FV432 and thought that I might share some thoughts about this kit.

Some of the  problems I have come across are of my own making.  Having been mounted on the Mk. 1 version during my service with 29 Field Ambulance RAMC one of the first things I did was to convert the kit from the Mk. 2/1 to the Mk.1 ambulance version which we used.  There does not appear to be a great deal of information  about the Mk.1 specifically, most illustrations and references being to the later marks.  Luckily I have been helped by threads on this site concerning the construction of the 1/35 version and after a lot of searching found enough material to allow me to sort out the differences between the various marks.  One set of pictures in particular helped enormously.  The Aldershot Military Museum has a Mk.1 07 EA 00 on display and which is captioned in one of the photos from the museum as having served with 29 Field Ambulance so I may have ridden in it at some point and my old friend Vesper may have worked on it in our LAD during our time at Harden Barracks, Obernkirchen.

The other set of difficulties is with the kit itself. 

It looks to me as if Takom had taken the data from their 1/35 version and scaled it down to 1/72.  Some of the reasons for my thinking this is the fact that the interiors of all the hatches are detailed and as there are no internal fittings provided and the instructions show all hatches closed on the completed vehicle, why bother to mould handles, insulation and other details on the inside if they were not supposed to be left open?

The other thing that leads me to suspect that the 1/72 ,version is a scaled down 1/35 model is the size of the locating holes and some of the parts, most noticeably in the suspension.  There the locating holes and pins are microscopic, this added to the size of some parts like the springs makes life difficult.  Separate parts would make sense in the larger model but having made them smaller means that construction is more like watch-making than modelling.  The same goes for the track assemblies and I found trying to get the individual links properly aligned frustrating and time consuming.  These could have been made as one part and this would have eased construction a lot.

Having said that, the fact that the hatches have details on both sides has made my life a lot easier.  I decided early on that I would scratch build the interior and so far things are going well.  A little trial and error have given me something that already resembles the pictures I have and also fits in with my recollections.  I have a lot left to do with this side of the project but barring some absolute disaster I have hopes that the finished item will bear a passing resemblance to the real thing and given that 07 EA 00 was on the strength of 29 FA that's the one I am going to finish it as, in all its Deep Bronze Green splendour.

• Like 2

• Julien changed the title to Thoughts on the Takom FV432 1/72

Ive changed the title to include the scale.

Interesting to read as my Dad has talked about having the Mk.1s and trouble sometimes getting petrol when the rest of the army had gone to diesel. He also might have been in 07EA00 at some point.

We were in Local German housing in Munster, then quarters in Bukeburg, then when 1ADFA was created we moved to Bergen. 

All were camo 2/3s by the time I can remember them, though I can recall a replacement chassis for a Land Rover Amby arriving in Bronze Green.

Julien