Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I PR Type B, KP Models 1/72, now Eduard 1/48!

I've just come across this page on Facebook:

Spitfire PR IB N3069 - Remembering F/O Mervyn Wheatley 

The entire page is a fascinating tribute to this early PR pilot, F/O Mervyn Wheatley who met his death on 22 March 1940 when he was shot down by Lt. Harald Jung of I./JG20.

There are some incredible photographs posted, some of which are well-known but which have been taken from first-generation copies and which are far clearer than any I have seen previously. Such as:

PR IA N3069 Colourised

PR IB P9331 Colourised

PR IA N3069-N3071 Details

I'm not convinced by the validity of the colourisation, but I think the clarity of the photos is astonishing. There are many other interesting items and its well worth a look through for anyone interested in PR Spitfires.

Cheers,

Mark

@AliGauld @bigbadbadge @Winded Penguin @Hammer2023 @Troy Smith @mark.au 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Mark for the link to another cracking cause, very interesting with some great photos too.

Great start to your Spitfire too. 

Got my KP Seafires through the other day, they look good, plus spare fuselage too, that's awesome.

Chris

• Like 2

Small thought.

We in this hobby want the finest, most detailed models possible.

Here am I, filling in all that lovely detail just because I want something a bit out of the ordinary.

Lol! :facepalm:

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Col. said:

While on Facebook take a look for the Sandy's Spitfire page as well Mark :) 

Thanks, Col, yes I've seen it - excellent work going on there and a worthwhile memorial to all the PR pilots in my opinion. I've got their special edition Sword PR.IV kit in my stash that I keep looking at.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I've sprayed some Tamiya rattle can paint as a primer to seal in the bits I've added:

IMG-20230309-110948177.jpg

Ventura Classic Warbirds #10 states on page 5, "all the panel gaps (were) filled with plaster, painted over, then polished." It seems logical that if you're going to the trouble of so treating the wings, then the fuselage should be equally treated, and looking at the photos I linked on the Mervyn Wheatley Facebook page, I would say that's true. Obviously, some panels need to remain detachable, such as those on the engine cowling and obviously the pilot's door, but filling the fuselage is, I think, born out in the photo of P9331 at Reims where there is a pale line where the wing root fairing meets the fuselage side - plaster of paris? As such, I've decided to fill the fuselage panel lines as well, excepting the ones scrawled over in red pen:

IMG-20230309-111020426.jpg

I suspect the model will look rather toy-like in the end, so I'm considering ways to "highlight" the smoothed-over panel joints. 

As that's not much to report, here's a photo of Arthur taking up most of my bench:

IMG-20230309-111102984-HDR.jpg

TTFN!

• Like 11

For my own PR.I Spitfire projects I found filling the panel lines and giving them a light rub down before the filler had fully cured was enough to leave a hint that showed through the paint as a slightly different surface texture.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

For my own PR.I Spitfire projects I found filling the panel lines and giving them a light rub down before the filler had fully cured was enough to leave a hint that showed through the paint as a slightly different surface texture.

That sounds like a good plan, definitely something to try out - I think I'll give it a go on the fuselage, and if it turns out well I can always use a set of wings from another kit to get them to match. Thanks for the tip, Col, its greatly appreciated. What filler did you use, by the way - I should think PPP would be the best option?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

PPP does give you the option to wipe away with a wet cloth or cotton bud rather than my more medieval method of Humbrol filler and sanding :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Nice work with the extra detail.  This is coming along nicely -- there are a lot of details here I wasn't aware of, so it's been quite educational as well...

Early PR Spits are really just another rabbit hole! There's a surprising amount of info available but it just needs piecing together. I'm finding it's proving a very interesting project, so even though I'm not getting much done on my other builds it's worth it :D

A bit more detail needs to be added to the cockpit walls, but that will have to wait until I've done the external seams as I'm bound to knock it all off with all the extra handling :D I'm hoping to be able to pick up some PPP today.....

All the best,

Mark 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm hoping to be able to pick up some PPP today

I was shocked when I went to my LHS today and they actually had PPP.  I'd never seen it before!  I've been wanting to try it so I snatched it up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I was shocked when I went to my LHS today and they actually had PPP.  I'd never seen it before!  I've been wanting to try it so I snatched it up.

I'm hoping my LHS will have some - that's where I found it previously. If not, I'll have to order it online :( and wait.....

A trip to the LMS this morning garnered some PPP, and this afternoon I slapped some onto the fuselage panel lines. I also broke out a spare set of KP Spitfire "A" wings and puttied those as well, to see if I could do a better job second time around. You can see I've already drilled the camera ports in the wings and also the underside light:

IMG-20230311-175245704.jpg

Would Sidney Cotton and Maurice Longbottom approve, I wonder? Probably not.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

Nice work so far.

Good to see Arthur taking a supervisory interest.

I don't know if you got the big tube of PPP but when you're putting the top back on put a drop of water in first as it stops it all drying out.

Go on ask me how I know. :blush:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice work so far.

Good to see Arthur taking a supervisory interest.

I don't know if you got the big tube of PPP but when you're putting the top back on put a drop of water in first as it stops it all drying out.

Go on ask me how I know. :blush:

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair! Arthur is always a great help :D

Its only a smallish tube, but even so that's a great tip, thank you, one I'll be sure to use!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Well now, I think this might have some mileage in it:

IMG-20230314-083756115.jpg

That's about five minutes' worth. The cotton bud was dampened at one end only, the damp end used to soften the PPP and the dry end used to rub off the excess, working at 45 degrees at all times so that I was never going "with" the panel lines. A little re-working will be needed, I'm sure, but that will wait until after assembly. I wonder if some slightly thinned PPP, so that its a sort of thick slurry, would work as well with a slop-on-wipe-off process (SLOWO!).

Thanks for looking in :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Very nicely done Mark,

PPP is useful stuff for this sort of thing.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, I've gone over to using a scraper to try and keep the PPP level with the surface - a dusting of paint has shown a few small scratches where I've scraped a little too enthusiastically! :D

All in all, though, its coming along and my next job on this is a bit of cockpit detail. Once that's done, I can get the fuselage together and the wings on, and then I can think again about the joint and panel lines!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

A couple of crappy photos - I was trying to catch the light to reveal the filled panel lines:

IMG-20230316-092946664.jpg

The port fuselage half hasn't been sanded/polished yet, and you can clearly see where the panel lines are due to the texture of the PPP being different to the surrounding plastic. Its quite a good effect, I think, but whether it will perpetuate through to final colour coat seems unlikely. There are a few flaws/missed bits to deal with as well......

Wing panels:

IMG-20230316-093007807.jpg

Gun access panels for the inboard pairs of Brownings retained as per the IWM photo, and I need to scribe a spanwise line between them for the camera access panel. The various inspection panels have been retained as I reckoned they'd be considered essential for airframe maintenance.

Anyways, next job is to detail and paint the cockpit, and given that these were early airframes I'm going to go with the non-"standard" Supermarine Interior Green (that rhymes!).

More soon with a bit of luck.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Aye that all looks pretty good.

Colour me impressed.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you, Alistair, you're too kind to my bumbling efforts!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1