Tactical Recon in Vietnam - RB-66B (1/72 Italeri)

After much deliberation I've settled on the RB-66 for recon duties.  Looks to be a fairly simple kit, so hopefully will expedite the construction process.  Kit will be built out of the box, so don't have your expectations set too high.  :P

52726170759_754ac68550_c.jpg

• Like 14

Nice subject choice Chris :speak_cool: Going OOB is a good option with this one as the cockpit area is fairly well enclosed so you'll get more time to concentrate on the exterior paintwork. Speaking of which, what scheme are you going with?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice subject choice Chris :speak_cool: Going OOB is a good option with this one as the cockpit area is fairly well enclosed so you'll get more time to concentrate on the exterior paintwork. Speaking of which, what scheme are you going with?

SEA camo.  B)

• Like 1

A bit basic by modern standards but it still builds into a good looking model.

DSC03905-crop

I don't remember any problems with the build. This is their old 1998 reworking into an RB 66 - I was thinking of converting my original B-66B but then managed to pick this up cheap.

Pete

• Like 2

• helios16v changed the title to Tactical Recon in Vietnam - RB-66B (1/72 Italeri)

Cockpit.  I don't think too much will be seen, but I used a couple different shades of gray to vary things up a bit.

52728961688_6f47ee7908_c.jpg

Fuselage coming together.  I did use some styrene flat bar to build a shelf to help w/ alignment of the spine.  I still need to glue the tail & belly together.

52729884829_6c560fa895_c.jpg

Speaking of the belly...there is a bit of a weird recessed mold line that is going to take some work to clean up.

52729109572_be312d0fd8_c.jpg

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice progress Chris :) This one makes for an interesting comparison with @Creepy Pete's EKA-3B Skywarrior in the SSD GB.

Yes, I made the pair of them for the Vietnam GB.

DSC03911-crop

Chris, on the A3B Douglas decided not to fit ejection seats. There were a number of reasons including weight, cockpit layout, and the fact that the current state of the art in ejector seats was not that good. As a consequence they fitted only an opening escape hatch in the top of the canopy for when the plane ditched. Normally access was via a door in the bottom just behind the nose wheel bay and this was designed so that it could also be used as an escape chute, complete with an extending deflector to reduce airflow problems - they did something similar on the Skynight fighter I believe. I think that the B-66 did have ejector seats for both the front and mid section crew but there were still entry hatches underneath both sections AFAIK so Italerii may have tried to mould them - I have books on both variants somewhere if you need any info. 

Pete

• Like 8

• 5 months later...

Dust is coming off.  Back from a bunch of vacations this summer.  Currently working on the seams.  Just going after it, not going to worry too much about panel lines at this point.  I'll address that after primer.

53119720424_e23dd99038_c.jpg

53119925425_b895bf89a4_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Time for a bit of catch up on this.  Attempting to push this one to the finish line for this month's club meeting for "Shelf of Doom".  It was never really relegated to SoD status, but certainly got set on the back burner.

53507027508_355b47ba0a_c.jpg

53506872236_d727e87099_c.jpg

53507028513_92e37d60e5_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...