Millenium Falcon

I couldn't wait until I'd finished the Viggen before I started this one, so I cut parts from the sprue last night. I haven't seen one of these on here so here the obligatory sprue shots.

R5sqwdhE_o.jpg

Lots of plastic in the box.

mJ0BmPaO_o.jpg

6dCVUINv_o.jpg

44Je4qN5_o.jpg

FkuHzvfN_o.jpg

T9aXvfvE_o.jpgtO1vhxL3_o.jpg

wwNcG0Fa_o.jpg

A tiny Cewbacca

iH7T4aOt_o.jpg

Cockpit painted up.

7GtJcZkZ_o.jpg

6CBO3MIs_o.jpg

HFcr8REp_o.jpg

• Like 12

Inevitably SWMBO has also tested positive for Covid last night and is currently trying to slept so no airbrushing can take place on pain of a knitting neddle shoved somewhere, so until I can turn the compressor on I'm stuck on the Viggen/Tempest/Blenheim/YB49 as all need spraying so more work on the Falcon. The mandibles took less than 20 mins and most of that was getting the tiny pipe work into the correct holes.

2Z5GbZ69_o.jpg

xfh8m3IQ_o.jpg

A bit of grebble spotting, appears to be an automatic transmission case at the end

8znw8wEe_o.jpg

And the top of a V12 engine.

w2QHRogK_o.jpg

These clipped into the lower fuselage and started to go round fitting the airlock and side panels.

dwol3poj_o.jpg

nqdZAQnn_o.jpg

7EuAmZIj_o.jpg

Here are the 2 gunners stations and as usual the instructions have only the vaguest of details on how to paint so I'll be cracking out my old DVD's to see how it should be, not that you'll be able to see it once done.

38kGbXuK_o.jpg

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 8

Painted the gunners stations with Barley grey with Deck tan for the pads and some black and dark sea grey highlights, seat with IJN dark grey. Should be more than enough once its fitted.

MtrKhzcy_o.jpg

All the internal parts for the lower section less the gun position have been fitted so I can move onto the top halve.

il5QEBnG_o.jpg

QVQwcFWW_o.jpg

ugfGX0CH_o.jpg

M6s8QR79_o.jpg

Ea53TLyR_o.jpg

The clear parts have been dipped in Klear as I'm going to use the decals for the frame rather than mask with tape.

• Like 5

Placed the decals on the clear parts earlier so I could fit the gunners stations and as I thought most of the detail is lost.

ea4KJQBH_o.jpg

dYTsJqNa_o.jpg

Once the guns are in place even less will be visible. Below is the only part that has a gap so far.

U6Sk0W8q_o.jpg

Quick size comparison with1/72 Tempest, not the biggest kit but still a fair bit of surface to paint.

g4hYa9UV_o.jpg

Underside done less boarding ramp, landing legs and some engine details.

UEjSWB0a_o.jpg

Top side completed less dish and engine details.

eya8Xpvi_o.jpg

• Like 5

Stripped the Falcon apart and sprayed a second coat of X32 last night so I could get into the odd spaces around the edges before sponge applying the Maskol on for the chipping effects.

u3ev0JiQ_o.jpg

T52MUB9H_o.jpg

sBbtNB75_o.jpg

And the Maskol applied.

r6jSICC5_o.jpg

tHFERSp0_o.jpg

QJ3CjYDF_o.jpg

I've made up a mix of Tamiya XF2 white, XF55 Deck Tan and XF54 Dark Sea Grey at 85/10/5% mix for the main colour, just hope I've made enough.

• Like 6

Sprayed the Falcon yesterday morning and started on masking the individual panels rather than use the decals, I've done this on both the X Wing and B wing so I can do more chipping of the coloured panels.

lXE9eFiz_o.jpg

6bAqkuyn_o.jpgifzDOeie_o.jpg

I had just enough of the paint mix to get a good coverage. Already done the orange panels as there was only 4 of this colour, next will be the dark grey panel, some of the darker grey panels masked up below. No where near as complex as the Viggen but still time consuming.

uu60YoJt_o.jpg

On the plus side the wife has finally tested Covid clear.

• Like 7

Being back at work has really slowed me down this week but completed the second round of masking for the Tamiya XF54 dark  sea grey panels last night and unmasked this morning.

qE6mLdTV_o.jpg

Fqxut4Nj_o.jpg

ZMtN37QP_o.jpg

Now it just repeat another two time for the light grey and red panels.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Been nearly three weeks since last update but had to catch up with work, go on holiday in Wales for a week (first one in five years) come home to a broken boiler (took BG 2 days to come out and fix) and then after 2 days back at work got sick again (not Covid) but not pleasant so not much work done on the Falcon. Before Wales I did mask up the red panel and sprayed a mix of Tamiya XF7 red and XF1 black but didn't take any pictures before removing the masks so did the last few light grey panel in Tamiya XF12 IJN Grey.

J6f2SLcs_o.jpg

And after removing the masking with turret, dish and cockpit fitted.

xTvfttf2_o.jpg

kFPSmd3F_o.jpg

LR3bIjEm_o.jpg

jiWU5ao6_o.jpg

Still need to paint the upper exhaust vents and there are some small decals to go on before I can clear coat. The underside has no light grey panel less the boarding ramp.

RNZOrmtM_o.jpg

v2D4nRfR_o.jpg

I' have popped out the detail panels so I detail easier.

3O5DpIv2_o.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, ConorC said:

Beautiful. I love the peeled off paint effect. Well done.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:06 AM, Hunter Rose said:

Nice paint! Looking good so far

Thanks. I did a light oil wash of Bone Black in the pipe work section but decided to leave the rest as it was so I didn't want to over do it. Sprayed the upper exhaust vents with Tamiya Rubber Black. Assembled the fuselage section and 3 of the legs and the ramp but it turns out I haven't sprayed 2 of the smaller leg doors so I'll have to try and match the paint mix.

JNsuZ2Up_o.jpg

XYoGXtJn_o.jpg

e1GFNleX_o.jpg

z9rxaZW0_o.jpg

Next up will be a flat coat which should tone down the starkness of the red and black and maybe some weathering pigments to finish off.

• Like 6

Calling this one done (for the time being), may go back and add more weathering later but I'm happy with how it looks now. RFI is linked below.

VK0OkxRO_o.jpg

Edited by neil5208
Added RFI
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...