Eduard 1/48th J-35 Draken - Finished

Peter W

Thought that I'd like to jump in on this group build and plan on building the Eduard boxing of the J-35 Draken.

Pictures of the unbuilt kit and a few extras:

WueoKdR.jpg

6aPIQCC.jpg

NqvtVPQ.jpg

May add a few more bits along the way but best to get this thing started first.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Time to show that something is happening.

As usual work starts in the cockpit by cleaning off any unrequired plastic and then getting the photo-etch parts fitted, thankfully not too many.

MfUkfzW.jpg

odWK6Rq.jpg

Then a splash of paint.

EirHTj5.jpg

before adding the remaining cockpit etch.

rHTP1qu.jpg

95Rrk5n.jpg

nRb7Tkb.jpg

Gave it all a bit of a dry brush to highlight some details this morning and a matt coat to dull the etch down a bit, so now ready to start some serious gluing later.

Back soon Pete

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Looking great! I guess you are going for an Austrian one?

Hi Bjorn,

Yes, the Austrian option looks the best of the options for me.

I did debate the obvious Swedish one with the red tail, but quite like the grey camouflage for the Austrian one.

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

That’s a neat little office. Can I ask what colour grey you used for the cockpit? It looks 

ile a app on match to the PE.

Hi Wings unlevel.

I used Vallejo USAF Light Grey (FS36495).

It is a few shades lighter than the etch but close enough for me.

Pete

• Like 1

A bit more progress to show. This is a kit that goes together quite quickly, once the cockpit is in. A bit of a mistake in the Eduard instructions though as they show that you should use the air scoops similar to the Quickboost ones in my earlier photo. Having got them all glued in place, and cleaned up, I then notice that they aren't the same as shown in any photos of an Austrian Draken. Cue a few expletives and a bit of remedial work. Thankfully they came out without too much mess and the correct ones are now in place. Got the flaps cut out of the wings and ready for the new ones too. Another session of careful clean up to make them fit though as they aren't a drop fit. Lastly, fitted the vertical tail with a few location pegs to help with keeping it in place and aligned. There's going to be some cleaning up required down the line as I didn't find it the best of fit in places but nothing that isn't expected with our hobby.

Onto the pictures:

zFUvrKQ.jpg

pIXDPYW.jpg

AikcGzU.jpg

tSBFWa0.jpg

sR0FfOI.jpg

4Wwikm3.jpg

Back soon Pete.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Looking great! It looks as if the outer flaps are upside down, so maybe you should check that before you glue them in place.

Thanks Björn. I spent some time looking to see if there were any differences but couldn't see any. Now I look again, the radius on the balance horns? is a bit more on one side, which I now assume is the bottom. I'll make sure that they are the right way up when I get around to gluing them in place though.

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't forgotten this but have been distracted getting two of Supermarine's finest off the bench. I was beginning to run out of room to build anything without knocking something else. All done now though and back to this beauty. It really doesn't take a lot to get this one together and a few hours at the bench saw the last of the bits glued together and something ready for a wash and paint looking back at me.

RJISehO.jpg

B2aOgDd.jpg

KCqVrqL.jpg

A91I9fQ.jpg

HwdrExf.jpg

Then tonight, a hour and a bit in a cold garage saw the undercoat go on.

FSII4n0.jpg

RKruGLf.jpg

A few bits of cleaning up to do and then I can get some colour on, or more grey to be precise.

Really enjoying this one and can't believe that I haven't built a Draken since I was about eight and that is a long time ago 😁.

As a last thought for now. Does anyone want the Eduard resin wheels and etch for a Draken that isn't Austrian. PM me, with your address, if you do and I'll get them sent.

kocLmmV.jpg

gHShRGt.jpg

Back soon.

Pete 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Back again with a milestone update. After a few hours of spraying, masking, spraying, masking...oh you get the drift, I've managed to get some colours on.

8GVJ6xe.jpg

YCZFOun.jpg

And then three coats of AK Gauzy to give it some shine.

MZdBWWp.jpg

H4lOZ8l.jpg

Ready to start adding some markings now.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 6

A few good nights at the bench has seen the decals added and a sealing coat went on this morning.

bPRXFrN.jpg

5qJ0KlW.jpg

0A0Rxle.jpg

Really am enjoying this build and may have to get some more 😁

Back soon 

Pete

• Like 4

A couple of good modelling sessions has seen this one over the line and ready for the gallery. One last picture here to show her ready for some better pictures later. Thoroughly enjoyed this one and thanks to all for getting a group build up and running.

1o3LIgA.jpg

Pete

• Like 3

• Peter W changed the title to Eduard 1/48th J-35 Draken - Finished