ICM Kits

Solexman

Getting back into the hobby I’m amazed at the range out there ,particularly of unusual subjects , and I’ve been perusing IMC kits. A very interesting range of subjects.

But what are everyone’s thoughts on their quality? I’m not looking for complete beginner level kits, I’m fairly competent I think. But at the same time I don’t want kits that are just going to pee me right off! 😂

Edited by Solexman
Typo!

Hi Solexman,

welcome back, things change pretty quickly these days, modelling is no exception.

ICM have come on in leaps and bounds and their recent offerings have been really very good in my opinion.

I built one of the 1/48 Spitfires a few years ago and it was nicely detailed but had a few minor fit problems, was a bit fiddly and also had a few sink marks. Fast forward to the last 18 months and I recently completed the Sea Gladiator and DH Tiger Moth. Both were an absolute joy with quality mouldings and very few assembly problems.

They do have, as you say, a huge range and you didn't stipulate the genre of modelling you do. I have only built the above aircraft but, have not heard of any complaints about their other offerings.

Hope this helps. 

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Solexman,

I recently had the 1/24th Model T Ford Speedster and while I had to part with it before building (health issues) , I had no reason to think it was poor in any way and I was looking forward to building it. The mouldings were beautifully clean and nicely done and way better than the older AMT offering. Personally, I felt that the wheels were under-detailed and didn't match the details of photos of the real car but that could have been rectified fairly easily. I've seen versions of the same scale fire truck and was very impressed with the end result. The Speedster looks to be a fairly accurate rendition of one held in the Czar Nicholas Collection but there are plenty of small variations in current use.

It's hard to say what pees off other modellers because I get used to generic models that aren't quite right for any given occasion and I enjoy making them as accurately as I can but others find that just too tedious. Horses for courses!

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

For clarity I’m a vehicle/ civilian/ military modeller. Also as a sideline a garden railway builder. 

When I say “pee off” I mean bad moulding, parts that don’t line up, square pegs in round holes! 😂

Fastcat - I was actually looking at the speedster. And the RNAS Model T armoured car. Their prototype shots look excellent.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

You two are getting ICM and IMC mixed up

I presume the OP does mean IMC which makes models of trucks and heavy industry vehicles?

https://www.imcmodels.eu/en

Yes! Blame Fat fingers and I didn’t have my glasses on! 😂

I meant ICM! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Solexman said:

I meant ICM!

If you  look for the 3 dots in the top right of your post,  click and you should get a drop down menu with an option to 'edit' , 

you can then edit your thread heading to make it clear what you are asking about. 

HTH

OK, as you were everbody

I C M it is

I've only built some of their 1/72 aeroplanes. I find their plastic accepts glue well, good joints with not much glue required. Thier location holes and pins are very small and delicate, very easily over looked and sanded off.  You need to get everything lined up correctly first attempt as the parts get stuck together quickly and its hard to separate them to adjust alignment

• Like 1

• Solexman changed the title to ICM Kits
8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

OK, as you were everbody

I C M it is

I've only built some of their 1/72 aeroplanes. I find their plastic accepts glue well, good joints with not much glue required. Thier location holes and pins are very small and delicate, very easily over looked and sanded off.  You need to get everything lined up correctly first attempt as the parts get stuck together quickly and its hard to separate them to adjust alignment

Thanks for that. Handy to know. I like to use EMA Plastic weld. It’s great but is a “one shot” job I find. 

Hi Solexman,

Yes, the armoured car does look good. Just a quick glance does seem to show that the tyres had a cross tread while the kits have only circumferential grooves. Slightly odd when the box illustration shows them correctly. Other than that and it's easily corrected, it looks like a really nice kit.

Dave

2 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Solexman,

Yes, the armoured car does look good. Just a quick glance does seem to show that the tyres had a cross tread while the kits have only circumferential grooves. Slightly odd when the box illustration shows them correctly. Other than that and it's easily corrected, it looks like a really nice kit.

Dave

I never noticed that. But to be honest I never build models to be 100% accurate and true to life. I like to build to represent a vehicle in a place and time. An atmosphere or historical event rather than a museum quality, prototypical engineering model. 
I’ve been called an artist in the past. Admittedly it was “p*** artist” but I’ll take it. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1