'Flower' class corvette, long focsle

Gidday All, here's my latest completion, a model of a 'Flower' class corvette. Rather than do a specific vessel the model depicts a generic ship of the class, a later vessel with a long foc'sle and the mast stepped abaft the bridge. This model was built for the "Salty Sea Dog" GB, and is my first that I've attempted to scratch build a hull from styrene. While it is very rough it turned out better than I hoped, and could well open quite a few doors for me with model ships in the future.

With the exception of the boats and davits, the pompom, anchors and the screw (all of which I've made myself in the past for other models) everything on this model is scratch built. The model is in 1/600 scale and hence is quite small, 104mm long with a beam of 16mm, but I chose this scale to be able to compare her with other warships I've done. This is to show just how small these ships really were. And I think they and their crews did a superb job, fighting not only the U-boats but the appalling weather of the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. This is my very small tribute to them.

Anyway, here she is, a Flower class corvette, long foc'sle type.

Flower class corvette jm9 - Copy

Flower class corvette jm4 - Copy

Flower class corvette jm13 - Copy

Flower class corvette jm19 - Copy

Flower class corvette jm20 - Copy

For those of you who are interested, the build thread:

Thank you all for your interest. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 29

Yes, it is a bit rough but the wonder is that you did it at all! It's a very complex shape with tons of tiny detailing and I think I'm right in thinking that you build everything from scratch. Proper modelling and I hope it will inspire more of us to attempt this level of creativity. Well done!

• Thanks 1

Hay Jeff where did this come from great bit of work and scratch build will have to spend some time on your WIP to see if I can get some tips.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Hello Jeff,

scratchbuilding such small parts is a real challenge! It turned out very well!

Congratulations for your stunning build.

Andreas

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much guys, greatly appreciated. Doing the hull the way I did was a bit of a trial-and-error and I had one false start but hopefully this method is feasible for larger ships. The advantage of a small model for a trial is that not a lot of material is lost if it doesn't work. But the disadvantage is that measurements are more critical, particularly when doing the rib frames. Still, that's why the modeling gods have provided filler to hide a multiple of sins. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice to see you take the leap too 100% scratch.

Gidday Steve, thanks for the comment, but I think she's only 98.374% scratch built. 😁 Perhaps I should have done the other stuff too. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

Well done, that's a wee beauty and scratch building your own is so satisfying. If anything it looks a little too 'crisp' as all the parts are freshly cut and not rounded slightly by the molding process. So probably more accurate, but not so traditional for 1/600!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

So probably more accurate, but not so traditional for 1/600!

Gidday, and thanks. I can add some flash, sink holes and an over-thickness gun barrel if you like. 😁 But seriously, thank you both for your comments. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, and thanks. I can add some flash, sink holes and an over-thickness gun barrel if you like. 😁 But seriously, thank you both for your comments. Regards, Jeff.

Yeah, its a shame Airfix never did some sort of 1/600 convoy set with a Liberty ship, a Flower and a U-Boat. I'd have bought it! But yours is much better.

• Thanks 1