V-P made me do it 😢

JOCKNEY

This was a GB I wasn't going to join, having far too many builds in other GBs.

However through guilt, coercion,  flavoured Vodka etc, I find myself joining this GB :hypnotised:

Here's my victim of choice

It's still sealed in the box, yet without even opening it I've spotted a problem  :doh:

More later

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

It's still sealed in the box, yet without even opening it I've spotted a problem  :doh:

Skill level 2 Pat?  :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 6

On 03/03/2023 at 21:50, bootneck said:

Skill level 2 Pat?  :giggle:

Mike

Actually that's better than the original reason which was this

I can't get the token on the card 

First World problems eh ! :rofl:

Kit pictures later, it's still sealed in the box meaning I haven't had a chance to lose anything yet :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Can I ask a favour,  the colour quoted in the instructions bear no resemblance to the picture on the box.

Can I ask what Humbrol or Revell colours to use, including inside the cockpit, wheel well, ordinance etc.

Many thanks Pat 

Good question Pat and nice wall chart too! I’d be keen to see what others suggest for colours as well, not having a clue on Swedish schemes by any stretch. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can I ask a favour,  the colour quoted in the instructions bear no resemblance to the picture on the box.

Can I ask what Humbrol or Revell colours to use, including inside the cockpit, wheel well, ordinance etc.

Many thanks Pat 

We share some same problems! Here's a link to Hobby 2000 instructions, they'll help you a lot at least with the detail painting if not the camouflage colours, which are a nightmare: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/7/7/1416277-97-instructions.pdf

Many of those colours are easy to convert to Humbrol and Revell just by their names: Dark green, steel, flat black, burnt metal, khaki, tyre black, silver, aluminium etc. The Swedish (and Finnish) camouflage is another matter! Here's my experiment on the scheme:

2023-03-04_07-54-03

Never mind the Spitfire in the background B). I think Humbrol 140 is a tad too light for the undersides (Blue Gray) and will replace it with something darker and more blue, maybe Hu 87? That's why paint mules were invented! On the other hand I'm quite happy with Humbrol 108 (for Olive Drab) and Revell 69 (for Dark Blue) and will probably try them on a Draken too. V-P 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I used:   Humbrol 166 underside,   

Humbrol 144 for camo grey, then 

Humbrol 155 Olive Drab for the camo pattern.

Inside cockpit:  well Google showed either grey, or green, with black instruments.  

for this MisterCraft Swedish Draken last year.

• Like 1

Sorry for the daft question but why do all the pictures I look at show this aircraft as blue and green with grey underneath ?

Yet the painting guidance is green and grey ?

Cheers Pat

What I've learned is that the olive drab lost a lot of its green in later life and turned quite brownish, whereas the dark blue faded to light blue-green, almost turquoise. Grey, I don't know why, but I spotted a conversion chart that recommended Luftwaffe Black Green for both the olive drab and the dark blue. That'd been easy to mask and apply!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Humbrol 140 is a tad too light for the undersides (Blue Gray) and will replace it with something darker and more blue, maybe Hu 87? That's why paint mules were invented! On the other hand I'm quite happy with Humbrol 108 (for Olive Drab) and Revell 69 (for Dark Blue)

Hi VP et al,

I built mine when the Hasey kit was new. What I remember the colours my Blågrå was Humbrol 87, Mörkgrön IIRC 116 and Mörkblå HJ number forgotten (Authentics Japanese set) very dark blue. And as VP says they faded a lot especially when kites were kept outdoors like gate-guards or museum examples. Also clearly visible after longer period in use.

Kippis,

AaCee

• Thanks 2

Pat,

I owe you many thanks!

I was just thinking "If I am building an uncharacteristically posh kit for this one, who is going to turn up and build the Airfix clunker?". I started to feel a bit guilty about not doing the Airfix one and even thought about having a look on Ebay...

So: THANK YOU for taking one for the team! And a shout out to @Marklo too for covering the old Revell mould.

Having got a nice posh kit I have no doubt I will promptly stuff it up with some stupid mistake...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

So: THANK YOU for taking one for the team! And a shout out to @Marklo too for covering the old Revell mould.

Believe it or not it’s actually one of the nicer kits I’ve gotten hold of lately, now that said I do have some pretty awful kits in the mix. The surface detail is actually very good and it compares pretty well to the scale drawings.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

I built exactly the same boxing back in the Nordic GB in 2020. At the time there was a lot of info coming in from our continental modellers about colours so it might be worth having a look at that GB. I believe I used Hu 117 for the green and Hu 77 with a touch of black for the blue uppers, and maybe Hu 87 for the underside. Judging by my photos I used a darkish grey for the cockpit interior (Hu27?) but could have been wrong.

No pics of mine left in the thread but I still have them if needed. It includes some info on the build that might be of use/interest to you such as cannon, decals, missiles, ballast etc.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness! I thought for a moment I was going to have to grab one off EBay and build one for the team.

And what are those strange pointy things we haven't seen any of in our Hasegawa kits? Ahhh, missiles, I remember them.

Looks like a nice Classic Airfix kit. Build on!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3