Dockside Crane *** Work Complete ***

Paul821

This will be my third build in this GB. The Higgins boat 

is nearly finished and I have committed to building a dockside for it (thread yet to be started) but any dock needs a crane so enter:

20230301_141400

the 50 year + old Airfix model now made by Dapol

20230301_141728

For an old mould, and "recycled plastic" the amount of flash is minimal,

20230301_142344

ejector pin marks are common, most are hidden but these need addressing,

another major issue is the ladder which I am removing and replacing

20230301_143357

but progress is progressing fast

20230301_145628

• Like 22

Yes, a very different subject, and a worthy addition! I am looking forward to seeing more of this one,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Failed abysmally to spell my name!

• Paul821 changed the title to Dockside Crane
3 hours ago, CliffB said:

I don't remember this kit at all but it looks like a fun build :popcorn:

It's so old it could've helped unload the ark!! Certainly Airfix and maybe Kitmaster before even that. a proper oldie, but as you say ripe for detailing

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

It's so old it could've helped unload the ark!! Certainly Airfix and maybe Kitmaster before even that. a proper oldie, but as you say ripe for detailing

1959 issue by Airfix

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dapol-c30-travelling-dockside-crane--264879/timeline

Thanks to all who have liked this build, work should resume tommow.

• Like 1

I built most of the old Airfix "trackside" kits including the mobile crane but I cannot remember if I ever built this one - I doubt it as it would have difficult to find anywhere appropriate on my layout back them. The mobile one stood in a short siding with a few trucks to make up my "breakdown train".

I will watch with interest.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, AlxBNE said:

Speedy work so far.

Looks great.

After nearly two weeks that was an optimistic statement as the cold spell put paid to work on this as the modelling area to too expensive to heat!

After a warmer period

20230317_104143

The poles and cables still have to be added and then some appropriate weathering applied - anyone know of a source of 1:76th scale seagull guano?

The other addition is the replacement ladder and that is why the Airfix Commandos are in the picture as they come with a ladder and I have a number of sets of these. I need to experiment with painting and gluing them before making a decision.

Once complete it will take it's place in the overall "Sittin' on the dock of the bay" wartime diorama.

and the end result will look something like a finished version of this:

52753437096_cff4a62fee.jpg

So this thread will be quiet for a while and the priorities are:

The dockside and warehouse

The Higgins boat

The sea.

Still six weeks to go, I do have an idea for at least two builds in the 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/792-tlc-transports-loaders-and-carriers/

GB that will fit into the diorama but they will be after the end of this GB.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

The other addition is the replacement ladder

can't hep with scale guano, or even 1;1 come to that! but on ladders, I'd assume Langley models to Ratio would do some? Certainly who I go to for n gauge ones

54 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

a finished version of this:

But then what will you have for KUTA time?! After a promising start, I seem to have two for it this year!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, Mjwomack said:

can't hep with scale guano, or even 1;1 come to that! but on ladders, I'd assume Langley models to Ratio would do some? Certainly who I go to for n gauge ones

But then what will you have for KUTA time?! After a promising start, I seem to have two for it this year!

Thanks for that hint. I remembered that I had a Ratio Signal Kit in my KUTA pile and amongst the unused bits was a ladder which is ideal for the crane.

52758718733_22a08b5297_n.jpg 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Finished at last      Oh no I have not, I thought I'd competed this build and took some pictures. Did not look at them until I started this post and discovered a few things need putting right! Back in a few days.

• Haha 2

Addressed a couple of issues:

20230417_120105_2

The main remaining one being the ropes/cables are no taut. I have a way of curing that but is requires the crane to be attached to to Dockside. So with eight builds on the go from various GB's including three more in Salty Sea Dog I think it's time to call a halt to work on this one in the GB and unite it with the Dockside in my Never Ending Diorama.

• Like 5

• Paul821 changed the title to Dockside Crane *** Work Complete ***