O-1 Bird Dog

spacer.png

First I was gonna do Fujimi F7U-3P Cutlass as suggested by @gingerbob but then I saw @robw_uk is already working on the kit (build which I'll be following closely!). Now while it really isn't an issue multiple people doing the same kit, then I found this great article with brilliant photos on the O-1:

http://modeltalking.hobbyart.sk/?p=5575#more-5575

http://modeltalking.hobbyart.sk/?p=5639

And that got my inspiration through the roof so I will be going to tackle Bird Dog first as proposed by @Col.

Here is the kit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

No aftermarket stuff, sorry. But this is a multimedia kit after all, kit comes with metal antenna :) 

Those brilliant photos on the website really make me want to do some interior scratchbuilding. I will see how far the kit parts will suffice and if there's something that I can or be able to add. I rarely work on 1/48 kits so this extra level of detail is quite new to me.

Let's go!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I'm intending to enter my Airfix 1/72 Bird Dog in this GB, so it will be interesting to see this one come together. Just trying to get a bit more done on my Salty Sea Dog builds first!

• Like 3

Lovely subject choice Reini and thank you for going ahead with it. Was tempted by the 32nd scale version of this kit but it's sadly somewhat bereft of interior detail in the same way your 48th scale example is. A nice opportunity to exercise your scratch-building skills ;) 

• Like 1

I love the Bird Dogs, look forward to seeing this one in progress.

2 hours ago, danbuoy said:

I'm intending to enter my Airfix 1/72 Bird Dog in this GB, so it will be interesting to see this one come together. Just trying to get a bit more done on my Salty Sea Dog builds first!

43 minutes ago, Col. said:

Lovely subject choice Reini and thank you for going ahead with it. Was tempted by the 32nd scale version of this kit

Well I might dig out a 144th version, so then we can have the full scale rundown 😁

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Well I might dig out a 144th version, so then we can have the full scale rundown 😁

Now I'm wishing I'd bought the kit after all haha.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh boy, I can already see it's not gonna be an easy kit. I've made a start with the engine and some interior parts, such as this seat:

y4mg3ioohmKV3rs8c_I40dQ2GIF0NptsRU6zCSf0

Everything looks ok on the sprue and in the pics like this but all it just little bit wrong size or shape or if you can fit one part, it makes fitting another part very hard. Like this chair was pretty complicated to put together, I ended up cutting some parts shorter etc.. Nothing major (yet) as I've been working on smaller parts) but it certainly doesn't go together as well as I anticipated from looking at the sprues. I mean the details and stuff looks really good!I guess I just have to make small adjustments on how I pproach to this kit and all will be well.

• Like 5

On 20/05/2023 at 10:56, MickE said:

Good start.

Thanks! Bit slow, maybe. I'm anticipating fit issues with the fuselage halves - or trying to fit everything inside them to be exact. I hope I'm wrong but it's eating up my motivation a bit. 

But I got some more done:

y4mE_27vGdedUjl6QWJq0MCJqqtrO3-JeBLW9Rze

y4mC0wGTVuPdNscwjWYJM2a3JWPhEgdL3vrXMOQm

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Barely a week and a half to go. Model is barely started with some interior parts glued together. Nothing is painted, no major components glued together. Fit of the kit seems bit dubious, anticipating lot of work in the finishing stage.

What to do?

....start scratchbuilding more interior details.

Wait... what? :o

y4m4_yGuPZ33EoX345VKClQhmbMKT_W1cKXoXMyS

This is so not the way to go at this point of the GB but hey, here we are:bangin: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

y4muMPLaNeaVyAMox22rG8S6A4Pmvj65ZnCDOLNM

Sometimes it's good to be away from the modelling bench. Well, not really. It's always good to be at the modelling bench. :D But getting away from everyday chores & responsibilities is not a bad thing.  Seeing that there is still plenty of time for this GB - we (me and my wife) went for two and a half day hike. Roughly 40km of nature trails with views like this from our tent - it's not a bad life :) 

y4miZXMN23zxy5vkzpvdr5R9pIJzwhBSm-4v_h86

Anyway, let's get back to business! :) I took out my greenstuff and modelled some fabric cover details to the interior. It's not @JeroenS level of detailing and scratchbuilding - but it's something! Once dried, we can start with painting.

• Like 7

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27587&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27588&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27589&authk

Interior details got first layers of paint :) 

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27590&authk

Followed by some shading with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colors. I use them quite heavy handedly and then just clean up with enamel thinner and cotton buds or a brush.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27592&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27593&authk

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27594&authk

Then some highlights to bring out some of the details. Interior is ready to be closed. I think I will leave the door open for this build.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27595&authk

The instrument panel is just flat plastic with a decal - which is okay for 1/72 but not ideal for 1/48. But I went with it anyways, just picked up the lenses of the instruments with thick gloss varnish to make them stand out better. And it created little bit 3D effect too which is nice.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27596&authk

This is where we are at the moment :)

• Like 8

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27653&authk

I was hoping to post a finished model today but I just ran out of time. I got it ready for painting though but with the time needed to dry between coats and decals etc. it's not gonna happen today and I'm not gonna rush it.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27654&authk

I'm bit puzzled by the colour, I could use your help. This is the scheme I will be doing, the main colour is marked "A".

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27652&authk

"A" is Natural Steel which I find odd. 🤔 I thought it was light bluish gray (ADC Gray?). If anyone have info on the correct colour, I'd be grateful.

• Like 3

The Airfix one I've just done says to use Humbrol 166 (satin light aircraft grey), which is what I used, and I think looks right. Although not the same airframe, yours is in the same scheme as mine. As the Airfix instructions are a little vague on the colours for certain details, I ended up downloading instructions off Scalemates for other Bird Dog kits, including the Roden one, for things like the marker rockets and exhausts which was a big help.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27884&authk

I've started with the decals - the big main decals are on and next is all the small ones. Decals in this kit are decent - not the most sharpest but I think still good quality. Huge film around the decals themselves so I ended up cutting them much smaller. And needed bit of sanding to get smooth but I'm confident they end up looking good. Well, me and decals don't really tend to go along very well so we will see how it all ends up...

• Like 5

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27919&authk

After some fine sanding, polishing and satin coat I've managed to make most of the decals settle down. There are few not so good but atleast most of these bigger ones turned out ok.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27918&authk

I've done some panel line washing with Ammo panel line wash and installed the rockets.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27917&authk

The photos show wires running into the rockets so I've added those with some lead wire. I think I will add 'Remove Before Flight tags also.

embed?resid=EB6FF6FF8ECA9C53!27920&authk

Next up - removing the canopy masks and adding some of the more localized weathering.

• Like 4