Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Dolphin

MRMRL

Hi All

Finally getting caught up on posting last years builds - this is the last completed model from 2022. Got to say, its a shame about Wingnut Wings, their models are outstanding (this is the only one I've built to date mind). The fit throughout was awesome, high level of detail, great instructions, such a joy to put together. Its nice to occasionally not build something that you feel like you need to wrestle into the shape its meant to be.

I think I "deliberately" misread the paint guide for this variant, in as much as the top wing probably wasn't meant to be such a drastically different colour (it was photographed in B&W after it had been replaced, but before the paint had been matched to the others), I've taken some artistic expression in the decision making, but I think it looks interesting, so I kept it.

Hope you enjoy

Matt

dsMlSifwRJ_dp0fvVRAS5z72ok_x0zTlcDd1sjGI

u1-2O8TfuYhCUCnDqw17XJLUy8zDLcrd4zszU3Xq

-eOijUa7R-s_t51XhLhKtkeEdPPiW-6D4QMkjRwS

Hm3kI2Jm8EF2EWwEFBinl7ywlWPKzcz2kUGxeeXu

qCMceKmxlAc8TuwDLqHDPKrMbnutPL3a-EfOay5E

TecKycx-4LoIiDuAErwCg1_oNOXqvhKNIQw-8cHo

oaZtuqoSmTQmOO2K6okFWIQ_sunQJkCMkEYFh3uZ

And a couple of in progress shots, just to show the detail that gets crammed inside where you can't really see it

zY0qHigiYk8k6bazPtwhLzGs7KUWjWP4w1nlkwyn

Sc2Yt_Cw1jGy9EGPflkgPXe_KDHQw-5vCvF_BeR2

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done, particularly the in-progress shot of the front internals. Can you imagine the noise/ heat/ vibration suffered by the pilot being positioned so close behind that big V-8 Hiso! I wasn’t drawn to this kit when it was first released by WNW in 2017 but I think the weird cockpit forward proportions, the staggered wing configuration and the open mid wing gun mounts all made it so much different from the other British WWI fighters that led me to finally buy the kit (at close to 2X the original price! 😖). I wouldn’t sweat the upper left wing color diff on yours as I’ve read the PC-10 varied all over the place and this one looks like it encountered a wing repair and re-paint in the field. Hope mine comes out half as good!

OOPS! Correction to my color comment above, I just looked at the WNW painting instructions for this option ‘D’ and your more brownish upper left wing looks spot on! Next time I’ll look at the excellent WNW instruction booklet before commenting! Again very nice build!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Added correction
  • Thanks 1

Superb model extremely well presented. The differences in colour on the upper wing looks completely authentic to me: lots of photos show wing sections were replaced in the field with different colours as a result.

P

• Thanks 1

I wasn't too keen on the Dolphin but seeing your one makes me think I made a mistake by not getting one when I had the chance. Really nicely done, the top wing colour certainly adds even more interest to the model.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

A lovely model, I've had a soft spot for the Dolphin since reading The Bandy Papers many years ago.  I did put in a backorder with the Big H, then ummed and arred , cancelled it, then decided I wanted one but too late.  Ah well, mine probably wouldn't have turned out as good as yours anyway!

• Thanks 1

That's a fantastic result, the difference in colours of the wings looks absolutely right to me. Your rigging looks excellent too. Copper State Models are producing some beautiful WW1 kits in 1/32 which might interest you now WNW are no more.

Richie

• Thanks 1