Heinkel He46 – AML 1/72 - WIP

Slow, unwieldy and not particularly stable, the He46 was certainly not one of the best aircraft designed by Heinkel. Already outdated at the beginning of the conflict, it was relegated to non-operational tasks at flight schools. In 1943, with the complete restructuring of the dive bombing and assault units and with the creation of the Nachtschlachtgruppen, it became operational again, together with other vehicles coming from schools (Arado 66, Gotha 145…), being used in the role of harassing aircraft and for the anti-partisan fight.

Practically the only injected kit on the market is that of the Czechoslovakian AML, dating back to 1997. It is not an easy model, it requires a lot of 'attention' and modifications, however something at least discreet can be obtained from it. The cockpit needs to be almost totally rebuilt, while the exterior of the fuselage needs further modifications.

The engine, completely exposed, must be 'refined' with many small additions,

but the most boring part of the construction is certainly that of the wing (which must be made thinner) and the tailplanes, printed completely smooth and on whose surfaces must be instead recreated the canvas effect. It will also be preferable to replace all of the various wing struts and braces.

Hope you like it.
Thanks for your attention.
Giampiero Piva

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Slow, unwieldy and not particularly stable, the He46 was certainly not one of the best aircraft designed by Heinkel.

Oh my goodness, I have just Googled this one to see what it looks like and the poor thing is definately aesthetically challenged (in every respect!)😲. What was Herr Heinkel thinking of. But what an interesting project and you are off to a brilliant start applying your usual detailing skills with aplomb.

Any ideas yet for which colour scheme you are doing? I found this one which I thought was colourful with the yellow bits.

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/2-Airplanes/Axis/4-Others/04-Hungary/He-46/He-46E-2.htm

I shall keep an eye on this one , its going to be a corker.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/02/2023 at 12:51, Pete in a shed said:

Oh my goodness, I have just Googled this one to see what it looks like and the poor thing is definately aesthetically challenged (in every respect!)😲. What was Herr Heinkel thinking of. But what an interesting project and you are off to a brilliant start applying your usual detailing skills with aplomb.

Any ideas yet for which colour scheme you are doing? I found this one which I thought was colourful with the yellow bits.

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/2-Airplanes/Axis/4-Others/04-Hungary/He-46/He-46E-2.htm

I shall keep an eye on this one , its going to be a corker.

Pete

It will be in 70/71/22, NSGr.7, Balkans 1943/44.

• 2 weeks later...