Heller Draken

Enzo the Magnificent

This is the venerable Heller Draken, originally released way back in 1977!  

As was usual for most kits released in the 70s, this kit has raised panel lines, but I wouldn't let that put anyone off from building this kit.  It is still a very nice one.

Dunno what scheme I will be building yet, but I'm tending towards the classic Swedish scheme as provided by Hasegawa. I will have a spare decal sheet from one of my other builds. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Nice choice Enzo and I’ll be following on. I was seriously considering doing one of these as well, however on closer inspection there’s a number of moulded dimples showing on the once piece outer wing and tail fin parts that really mar the surface texture of this otherwise nice kit. It’s all very repairable of course, however it’s kinda put me off spending the time to correct it at this stage. I hope your moulding is much better so all the best getting this one done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason first of these were made in light grey plastic with a good quality mouldings.

When they changed to green plastic the outer wings and fin were full of sink marks🙄

Cheers,

AaCee 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

For some reason first of these were made in light grey plastic with a good quality mouldings.

When they changed to green plastic the outer wings and fin were full of sink marks🙄

That's exactly how my kit is.  It shouldn't be much of a problem on the fin, as I can replace it with a Hasegawa one.  However, to fill the sink marks on the wings I think I will need to scribe all the panel lines.

5 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

When they changed to green plastic the outer wings and fin were full of sink marks

Mine too. I was (and still am) contemplating starting mine, however those sink marks have put me off a little. Similar dimples also show up on my early edition Heller Viggen tail fin, however I was able to obtain a replacement part from another kind Britmodeller member a while back. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Brilliant! Yes, those sink marks are horrible! During the recent Heller GB, I built two of these, one of them combining the Heller kit with Hasegawa parts - something that was easier than I thought. Maybe my build threads can be useful?

• Like 1

I installed the cockpit.  There was a nasty gap behind it allowing a view into the fuselage, so I filled it with a chunk of plastic card.  Plety of room for ballast behind the cockpit.  I used a 10g motorcycle wheel balance weight (which isn't shown).

spacer.png

The single-seat spine is attached and the fuselage assembled.

spacer.png

In order to work out exactly how I could fix the shrink marks on the wings and tail, I gave them a couple of coats of primer.  The shrink marks were not nearly as bad as I first thought, so I decided to leave them alone.  Work to fair in the fin is still ongoing.

spacer.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks good Enzo! In all fairness, the Hobby2000 kit has some slight dimpling on the outer wings. Never seen the Hasegawa so  I can't comment on it.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, when you've seen the Hobby2000 kit you have indeed seen the Hasegawa kit too. V-P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I primed with my usual technique of a coat of lacquer followed by grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.  The olive drab was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-270.   After another coat of laquer I masked off the disruptive pattern with Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

The blue was then sprayed with Lofecolor UA-517.

spacer.png

The undersurface was then masked and sprayed with Vallejo 71-114.  The natural metal portion is from a rattle can.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...