Draken Sk35C

Enzo the Magnificent

Back in 2006, Hasegawa released this boxing of their Draken kit.

spacer.png

It had two kits in the box!  :yahoo:  I built one at the time and the second has lain in The Stash for seventeen years.  Now is its moment in the sun. :)  

I will be converting this into an Sk35C, using the two-seater parts from the Heller kit.  Why didn't I just build the Heller kit as a t-bird?  Well, the subject I have in mind is in a natural metal finish and I thought that the engraved panel lines on the Hasegawa kit would be more suited to that.

Here are the sprues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

It's a pity Hasegawa never progressed with a two-seat version but at least we'll all get to see what it would have looked like now :) 

• Like 1

Ah, I have a couple of Hasegawa J35 kits, a Maestro resin conversion for the Sk35C and a Heller two-seat canopy that I really should be building! Mine is intended to be a natural metal Swede :)

Martin

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 10:33 PM, vppelt68 said:

Isn't the Hasegawa fuselage actually primed for the twin-seater conversion?

Yup. It is ready for all different versions but utilized so far only for Filip and Johan, Danish RF-35 and Austrian Ö.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The engine exhaust section was different for the Sk35C. It is shorter with no retractable tail bumper.  Maestro models provide a nice resin conversion set.

spacer.png

All the Sk35C:s were converted from A-models. D*** you can't believe how much I think I have learned of the Drakens lately, and how much, I know, there'll still be I will never learn!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

So that means early fin and short intakes?

The book by Laukkanen has line drawings of B, C and F models. They seem to show short intakes and different fin in B and C than F.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vppelt68 said:

The book by Laukkanen has line drawings of B, C and F models. They seem to show short intakes and different fin in B and C than F.

Exactly. Early prototypes, A, B and C-models had the short intakes. Also air intakes in the spine were different in early single-seaters when compared to later. And E-type could have either early or late canopy.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 3

On 07/03/2023 at 20:09, Enzo the Magnificent said:

So that means early fin and short intakes?

And also just one (central) pylon for a tank on the underside of the body. If you do not build an early one, do not forget the small fins on the under the wings.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

And also just one (central) pylon for a tank on the underside of the body. If you do not build an early one, do not forget the small fins on the under the wings.

Thanks Bjorn.  Although I am aware of the fins, I have yet to find a decent photograph which shows their location.  From the side their position and shape is clear, but I can't work out how far along the span of the wing they are located.   Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Thanks Bjorn.  Although I am aware of the fins, I have yet to find a decent photograph which shows their location.  From the side their position and shape is clear, but I can't work out how far along the span of the wing they are located.   Can anybody point me in the right direction?

A (probably pretty bad) explanation: They were located almost in the middle of the area between where the outer wing starts and the first one of the three small fins on the outer wings. Behind the roundel on the underside of the wings, there is a panel line. If you extend that line to the outer wings, you will find the correct position for the aft part of these fins.

• Thanks 1

Resin fin and intakes to go with the resin tail cone.  :) 

spacer.png

Fuselage assembled.  The Heller spine fits perfectly!    I feel that Hasegawa originally intended to release two-seater and early options.  Why else would the fuselage be set up for a two seat cockpit and the rear fuselage is seperate?  You even have to open flashed over holes to fit the tail bumper fairing.  I wonder why they never went ahead with it.

spacer.png

Arframe components ready for assembly.

spacer.png

Like so.   I used the Heller seats and dressed them up with Eduard harnesses.  The canopy will be closed on my model, so very little will be visible.

The rudder does not meet the rear fuselage as it should, so I have added some plastic card shim which needs to be faired into place.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

How did the Heller winscreen fit into the Hasegawa kit? It has very poor fit to the Heller kit!

It seems okay, but I'll confirm that when I have the model primed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Primed with a coat of clear lacquer followed by grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

My rattle can paints are by a company called Autotek.  I have used their aluminium paint a lot, but it seems that Autotek have now decided to rationalise their range.  They had three different silver spray colours which have now been withdrawn and replaced by a single colour called "Alloy wheel paint".  The old aluminium paint was great for representing painted surfaces such as High Speed Silver.   The new colour is slightly darker and greyer.  It is perfect for natural metal interiors and also the matt surface on this Draken. 

I bought up all the aluminium paint that I could.  If I eke it out and only use it for HSS finishes, I should have enough for three years.

spacer.png

Various panels have been masked off and sprayed with a 50:50 mixture of Xtreme Metal AK179 and AK480.  The "darker" panels are Alclad ALC-117 Dull Aluminium.  They are not actually darker.  They just look that way because the dull aluminium is quite matt in comparison to the other colours.

spacer.png

And we're ready for the decals.

• Like 5