FW 189A-1 (ICM 1/72 kit)

My first build will be this ICM kit - I do love a twin boomer!

spacer.png

Not too many parts in the kit, though they do look quite nicely moulded (lots on fine detail) Scalemates reckons it's a fairly recent moulding (2016), let's hope it all fits together well.

spacer.png

The instructions seem clear enough and the decals should hopefully be fine (look a bit thick but not too many of them).

spacer.png

I have a couple of aftermarket bits - some window masks to make my life easy with all that glazing and so PE to make my life hard!

spacer.png

I'll be doing one of the in-box schemes, not sure which yet.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

So I finally got started on this one!

Initial construction went smoothly, building up some sub-assemblies...

spacer.png

A few minor issues - the control surface parts are incorrectly labelled in the instructions and the boom parts which have ribs are badly attached to the sprue, making clean-up difficult (not easy to sand them flat as the attachment point goes over both the raised and flat parts).

Most of (if not all) the control surfaces are separate so can be modelled in whatever position you like, fit of parts is generally good though the control surfaces under the rear of the main body seem to have a large gap between them which looks like it could be wrong?

spacer.png

So I decided to build it wheels up, in flight - thankfully the wheel well doors fit pretty nicely - though as you can see above I added some offcut sprue pieces to help strengthen the join.

The rear wheel well / tail, I needed to cut down the articulating door length slightly as well as 'straighten' it by scoring along the join a few times first. The gear leg I did need to remove but it won't be visible.

A little filler will be needed, but overall not too much work.

spacer.png

I fitted some of the Eduard PE set, though I may have used a bit of artistic license (though I doubt any will be visible when finished). The pilots belts were a little long for the kit seat, but I didn't fancy bending up / building the PE one, so I cut them down slightly.

spacer.png

There were also some extra PE belts I omitted - one to fit horizontally across the rear for the tail gunner and another to fit across the between the pilot/front section, though annoyingly they are only colourised one one side.

spacer.png

I fitted the engines, booms and wings - one complaint I have is the mounting points seem a little small/flimsy. The booms mounting did have some gaps to fill.

I filled using Mr Hobby dissolved putty and cleaning up with IPA - I think it's worked quite well (first time trying this method). The gaps at the rear of the engine cowlings - I'm not sure if they need filling or not, possibly they would be there for cooling?

spacer.png

Overall I think the main parts have gone together well, though I've noticed one of the vertical stabilisers is erm - less than vertical.

spacer.png

So I managed to get most of the glazing on - once finished I'll have the mammoth task of adding all the window masks!

• Like 8

• 1 month later...