75 Sqn RAAF Mirage IIIO - NMF(Hopefully)

That’s fabulous Cookie, really well done 🏆

The early 75 Sqd badge always puts in mind of the police for some reason.

AW

• Thanks 1

Just read all the way through the thread Cookie after seeing your RFI post - really stunning build, the jet is beautiful and the seat is a little gem!

I'd seen the brushed on Metalizer technique mentioned before, but never seen it used so well, lovely work! I've got a few bottles stored away somewhere, hope they're still useable! 

Sorry if I missed it, but can I ask did you use more than one shade of metalizer, if so what ones?

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry if I missed it, but can I ask did you use more than one shade of metalizer, if so what ones?

Hi Keith, sorry I don't think I made it clear what shades I was using. They are:

Aluminum Plate - the shiniest and lightest panels

Stainless Steel - the panel surrounding the exhaust and the leading portions of the air intakes (hard to see these with the red markings also there)

Exhaust & Burnt Metal - these were always mixed with Aluminum Plate to give the darker variations - particularly on the wings and the fuselage 'bands'. I mixed them by simply dipping the brush into one cap and then the other rather than making a mix in a separate pot. This means that no two panels are really alike, but that's the point of variation right?

I ran some experiments with Mr Metal Color using the same technique and will try and remember to post the results here soon. It worked pretty much the same as the Model Master technique, but it remains 'wet' and workable for much longer, but it was very smooth and shiny. I've heard that Mr Metal Color will deteriorate over time, and so I coated a bit of the test portion with Future - it left a rainbow sheen that could be good or bad depending on the intent.

EDIT: There is an RFI here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Stunningly shiny metal finish @Cookenbacher, congratulations on this great result!

One day I shall try this method on a Mustang, pretty sure I won’t achieve your level of result, but at least I have a starting point on how it can work out. 

Again, congratulations👍🏽

• Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 03:35, Cookenbacher said:

@keefr22 Here is a pic of the Mr Metal Color experiment:

IMG_20230530_182558

The left side has the Future coat, and you can see the rainbow sheen it creates. It's been a month or two and it's all pretty shiny still.

It looks perfectly acceptable to me, Cookie. :thumbsup: Was the Future coat airbrushed or brushed on?

Ciao 

• Like 2

Wow… how good does that look!! Apologies for missing the end of the GB, this Aussie ‘Miracle’ is just absolutely perfect. Well modelled Cookie, any Aussie would be proud to have that in one’s collection. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 4:35 AM, giemme said:

Was the Future coat airbrushed or brushed on?

It was just brushed on, thinned with a little distilled water. The Future definitely knocks down the metal finish, but I'm worried that the Mr Metal Color will require it in order to not to decay over time.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:37 AM, keefr22 said:

I have some of that paint too

It worked just as well as the Model Mater stuff for brushing/polishing on, but I've heard tell that it can deteriorate. I'll keep an eye on this test piece.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:00 AM, Sam said:

One day I shall try this method on a Mustang

I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so! I bet it would look great - and you could paint the lacquer portions of the wings with a 'conventional' metal paint, and I bet it would result in a nice contrast.

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

any Aussie would be proud to have that in one’s collection

Incredibly kind of you to say Dave. RAAF 75 Sqn has been one of my favourite subjects since my youth, yet this is my first Magpie build. Don't worry, I've got kits and transfers for a 75 Sqn P-40, F-18 and F-35.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, Andwil said:

That’s fabulous Cookie, really well done 🏆

The early 75 Sqd badge always puts in mind of the police for some reason.

Thanks AW, your Mirage IIIO led the way!

You're right the badge on the tail would look less out of place on an automobile, the later badge, like on you camo jet look much more 'aerodynamic'.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:23 AM, John Laidlaw said:

That is pretty spectacular, Cookie! As always, with your builds.

Thank you John! Hope all is well with you.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, Wings unlevel said:

I’ve just had a look at the pics in the gallery, Cookie, congrats on a superb build!

Thank you, thank you - it was so fun that I think I'm just going to keep building Mirages for a while.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:45 AM, modelling minion said:

Beautiful result on your Mirage Cookie, that metallic finish is absolutely fantastic.

Very well done.

🇺🇦

Thank you Craig, I need to catch up on some of your recent builds - you've been a Group Build stalwart!

• Like 3