75 Sqn RAAF Mirage IIIO - NMF(Hopefully)

Yes, very interesting technique. I want to do more NMF stuff, but I've been struggling with airbrushing metalic colours. And they're tricky to clean up as well. I might have to get some of the Gunze metalics and have a go with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Sorry it has been three weeks since my last post!

It's moving along - I painted the radome area gloss black:

IMG_20230416_144237

Then masked off the thin strip that looks gloss in reference photos (I think Modelsvit also provides a decal for this):

IMG_20230422_092726

I painted the forward portion of the radome matt black, and the rear portion with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum, hoping that it will give some contrast to the metalizer.

IMG_20230423_122853

Oh, also got the windscreen attached.

The underside is a bit of a mess, so this may be the last photo posted of it - we can all just pretend that I dealt with the underwing seams adequately (they look much worse in real life).

IMG_20230423_132954

The metalizer is on most of the main airframe now:

IMG_20230423_152753

IMG_20230423_152814

The Vallejo Metal Color continues to impress, not much contrast as hoped with the metalizer, but there is definitely a difference.

I still need to build the dang seat!

• Like 17

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I still need to build the dang seat!

You can always claim it is removed for maintenance.

Or an accidental ejection on the ground - it happened!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I'm late with an update - thanks for still following along everyone!

Transfers started:

IMG_20230513_120709

I probably would have been better off masking and painting some of these larger ones, but the Modelsvit decals are very well designed.

IMG_20230513_120724

IMG_20230514_150139

• Like 13

I worked on this guy quite a bit this weekend, but I'm still gonna be in a rush to finish on time.

The transfers are mostly on now, and I got out the rivet wheel - the results are really subtle, which I'm happy with:

IMG_20230521_174227

Wheels painted!

IMG_20230521_174244

And here's a random pic in low light just to see how it photgraphed in those conditions:

IMG_20230514_160523

But the biggest modelling accomplishment of the weekend, the seat:

IMG_20230521_154108

• Like 14

You did the riveting after the painting??? Brave man! :worthy: And I agree, it's subtle but effective :clap:  :clap: 

The seat looks ace too! Maybe you just want to add some variations to the seat belts, like a wash/filter or some highlights - it would made for a bit of depth

Ciao

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hook said:

Awesome!

Aren't those RAF roundels on the upper wing..?

If I understand correctly  originally those were the ones used. The Roo only gradually conquered territory... starting at the fuselage.... 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

If I understand correctly  originally those were the ones used. The Roo only gradually conquered territory... starting at the fuselage.... 😉

Something to learn every day - thanks!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

The metallic finish and decals look superb Cookie and as Giorgio observed, very effective but very brave use of the riveting wheel post paint! 

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 11:57 PM, Tentacles said:

This is looking great! The seat is incredible - what did you use for the belts?

BTW, maybe you already knew, but this GB has been extended to the 11th of June:

Thanks @Tentacles, the belts came included as PE. And thanks for letting me know the GB has been extended, I had no idea til you mentioned it!

On 5/23/2023 at 12:58 AM, giemme said:

You did the riveting after the painting??? Brave man! :worthy: And I agree, it's subtle but effective :clap:  :clap: 

The seat looks ace too! Maybe you just want to add some variations to the seat belts, like a wash/filter or some highlights - it would made for a bit of depth

Ha! I knew that the "1/72" wheel was pretty hard to see, so even if I screwed up, it would be difficult to capture the failure in photos!
I added a wash to the seat - see below - thanks Giorgio!

On 5/23/2023 at 2:25 AM, Hook said:

Awesome!

Aren't those RAF roundels on the upper wing..?

Thanks Andre!

The RAF style wing roundels were specified in the instructions and a web search confirmed it.

Thanks for all the roundel info @exdraken!

On 5/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, Terry1954 said:

The metallic finish and decals look superb Cookie and as Giorgio observed, very effective but very brave use of the riveting wheel post paint! 

Thanks Terry! You can see a few wavy rivet lines in close-ups, but I'm still happy with how it turned out.

Look @CedB, it's a dead one!

IMG_20230528_131521

Placing the landing gear and detail bits was even more painful than usual as the finish is very delicate and maneuvering the model around had to be done carefully.

Seat, complete with @giemme prescribed wash:

IMG_20230528_142406

I think it's finished!

IMG_20230528_150038

Rivet close up

IMG_20230528_152105

• Like 15