75 Sqn RAAF Mirage IIIO - NMF(Hopefully)

Hi all, I've been overly influenced by all the Mirage goodness in this GB and have impulsively started a Modelsvit Mirage IIIO.

My modelling mojo has been pretty low recently, and so I have two completely incompatible goals for this build; a quick, fun out of the box build, and a natural metal finish. We'll see how it goes!

I've been following @Andwil's Mirage IIIO in this GB, and it has helped me avoid several pitfalls already - thanks AW!

I've been working on this one since last weekend, and here the progress from the first week:

IMG_20230221_194055

I didn't use any of the include PE, and just applied the cockpit decals to the painted plastic.

IMG_20230221_203315

IMG_20230221_203552

Overall, the kit is pretty complex, but goes together really well considering the large number of parts.

• Like 7

OK, and here is the progress from this weekend:

IMG_20230225_135855

IMG_20230225_150611

IMG_20230226_095603

Again, I must thank @Andwil for blazing the trail on the Modelsvit Mirage III. Mating the forward fuselage leaves a gap, otherwise it will result in the nose pointing upwards.

I filed down the spine and the inside of the 'cover' to help the fit over the gap - otherwise, it sat proud.

IMG_20230226_101324

And threw some plasticard into the gaps.

IMG_20230226_101332

While I really should have been taking care of the fuselage seams at this point, it was starting to look like a Mirage, so I attached the upper wing surfaces.

IMG_20230226_111232

The fit was difficult for me, with lots of careful sanding to try and keep the resulting gaps (especially on the underside) to a minimum.

OK back to the fuselage seams. I really like 'sprue goo' as a seam filler, but I have trouble maintaining a pot for very long before it dries out. So I tried using plastic shavings from a previous build to sort of make 'on demand sprue goo'.

Plastic shaving placed over offending area (you can see a shaving already turned to goo just ahead of it)

IMG_20230226_111631

A drop of Tamiya Extra Thin applied.

IMG_20230226_111710

Impulsively added the vertical stabilizer.

IMG_20230226_114424

I spent a long time dry fitting and sanding it, but no matter what I did, the right side sat flush (see above) and the left side had a gap (below).

IMG_20230226_114413

Either way, it's built up enough for some low passes over the bench as long as the proper jet noises are created.

IMG_20230226_114400

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

You are making very rapid and good progress!  Seeing as you’ve overtaken me I can now watch  your build for tips.  I foresee similar issues with the vertical stabiliser on my Mirage.  

AW

• Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, giemme said:

And it's almost paint time already! :pilot:

😆 I hope so, but lots to clean up - the NMF demands no seams.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, Andwil said:

You are making very rapid and good progress!  Seeing as you’ve overtaken me I can now watch  your build for tips.  I foresee similar issues with the vertical stabiliser on my Mirage. 

Thanks AW!

Looks like your Mirage IIIO has pulled into the lead once again.

On 2/27/2023 at 3:15 AM, Wings unlevel said:

A weekend well spent!

Agreed!

I didn't have as much time this weekend unfortunately.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:16 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Cookie 

I am very pleased to see you on this Gb ..

Very good and fast start despite the problems you have faced ..

Best of luck for the rest and have fun ..

Thank you Patrice, and thank you for leading this GB!

Had some time to keep trying to hide seams and attached the drooped elevons which the kit is nicely designed for.

I filled in some of the gaps with plasticard trying to line it up with the engraved detail where gaps should remain (I think):

IMG_20230305_183716

A little closer to paint:

IMG_20230305_190810

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I filled in some of the gaps with plasticard

Wow, that's a lot of filling there! :frantic: looking good, though! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on using the Testors Model Master Metalizer (tongue twister!) brushed on for this one. They've quit making it, and I figure I better use it up while I've got it. Just a few test panels done.

IMG_20230306_193846

IMG_20230306_200431

I actually got a piece of PE (semi)successfully installed - better post a pic!

IMG_20230306_204905

• Like 19

Did you say ‘brushed on’? That’s quite an impressive finish on that very shiny panel. Nice work and shame they no longer produce the range. They are sorely missed. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I'm loving that metal panel! :clap: :clap: 

On 14/03/2023 at 23:27, Rabbit Leader said:

Did you say ‘brushed on’?

I'm sure Cookie will chime in with the link for it, but that result wasn't attained just by simply brushing the paint on, there's a specific technique to do it involving a stiff brush, gathering the paint form the pot lid after having shacked it thoroughly and painting/polishing at the same time.

I use it too and it's very effective, but I normally do it on smaller areas - in this case Cookie has achieved a fantastic result on a large area :worthy: 

Ciao

• Like 3

On 3/14/2023 at 3:27 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Did you say ‘brushed on’?

Yes, it's how Giorgio @giemme described above, it's brushed/polished at the same time. The link to where I found the technique no longer works, and the paint is no longer manufactured, but I'll give a brief description for posterity 😆:

• Shake the metalizer bottle, then just use a portion of what is left in the cap when you open it; it's really 'hot' stuff and can melt the plastic if you use too much.
  • Brush it on as you normally would - it looks terrible at first, like brushing on really thin paint, but just keep going, eventually it transitions into a smooth finish and the longer you brush/polish the shinier it will be.
  • It will dry in a minute or two, and is remarkably robust - it can be masked almost immediately, but is very susceptible to fingerprints, so I wear gloves when painting
  • If you mess up a panel, it can just be painted over again

Apparently, Gunze Mr Metal Color can be applied in the same way, but is much more fragile and I've also heard that it can deteriorate with age.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, giemme said:

I'm loving that metal panel!

Thanks Giorgio, I might as well use it while I've got it!

On 3/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, Hook said:

Now that is coming along rather well!

Thank you Andre! It is a rather tedious process, but relaxing.

A few more panels done this afternoon:

IMG_20230318_143446

I used a tiny brush to pic out a few access panels with Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum

IMG_20230318_145205

The tail and a bit more of the fuselage done:

IMG_20230318_155823

I failed to mention that my desire to do a Mirage III in a metal finish was inspired by @mirageiv's Mirage IIIS found here:

@mirageiv has made what is probably my favourite metal finish that I've seen, so please don't judge my little guy by the standard you'll find in the link above 😄!

• Like 19

Great to see you back at the bench Cookie, and a great choice of subject.

That NMF finish looks awesome. Shame the paint is no longer available. I recalled having some Testors metallic paint ..........

2023-03-19_11-27-03

These all say airbrush only on the lid. Are they the same? 

Terry

• Like 4

On 3/19/2023 at 4:29 AM, Terry1954 said:

These all say airbrush only on the lid. Are they the same? 

On 3/19/2023 at 6:25 AM, Hook said:

Yes.

Agreed, those should be them Terry, treasure them!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I'm moving a little slow with this one, but normal service should resume shortly 😃.

• Like 2

I've just been painting a few panels here and there when time allows

IMG_20230328_205554

The right wing (top) is finished now:

IMG_20230401_175437

I've been leaving the front and rear of the fuselage unpainted so I have somewhere to hold the model when painting. Eventually, I'll just have to be very careful and be sure to only use my gloved hand.

The underside should be quicker to paint, because I won;t be so worried about varying each panel. For the radome and the area immediately behind it, I think I'm going to paint it Tamiya gloss black, then mask off the 'band' at the rear of the radome, paint the forward section matt NATO black, and use Vallejo Metal Color behind (most pics seem to show a definite difference in the section just behind the radome).

Slowly but surely.

• Like 17