Hawker Typhoon 1/24th, 1945

Here she is, big and bold....

Built from the box, with only Brass U/C legs added as she is a heavy model. 

I was thinking of some weathering, but concluded that as this was a post German Surrender repaint the airframe would have been quite clean. 

You will notice some transfer damage: the Airfix transfers had not aged well, especially the big ones. Despite Microset they cracked in places. 

Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib MP197 of 245 (Northern Rhodesia) Sqn RAF. The blue and white tail band and white propeller base and blue spinner was applied in Early summer 1945, before the Squadron was disbanded in Germany on August 10, 1945.

I also like the mouth around the radiator. MP197 was the usual mount of F/L Harrison Taylor 'Moose' Mossip DFC RCAF until he was killed on 7 March 1945. 'Moose' was flying JP936 and during an attack on a train near Amden his aircraft hit high-tension cables and he was killed.

MP197 then became the personal aircraft of 245's CO, S/L Tony Zweigbergk.

Typhoon-and-Driver_s.jpeg

spacer.png

From-Above.jpeg

spacer.png

Underside.jpeg

Cockpit-and-Saber.jpeg

Gunbay-S.jpeg

The full build story is here:

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That looks super Peter. This is a kit I've neither the skill, patience or pockets for but love seeing built up, yours ticks all the boxes to my eye, you've made a cracking job of that. 👍

Steve.

Steve, 

kind words, much appreciated. 

I retired a couple or 3 years ago and am working through the stash, the only costs are paint. 

I have the time, the kits and I enjoy making them. 

Possibly the 1/24th Airfix Mosquito next! 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:07 AM, 224 Peter said:

If anyone here has wondered just how the internals of the Saber worked, follow this link.

https://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/contributions/photos/329-napier-sabre-animations-created-by-sergio-pasquali

Stunning animation! 

He has missed the sleeve actuation mechanisms, shafts & bell cranks etc, mind you, it becomes very messy with all that in there. Very nice graphics otherwise. 👍

Steve.

My thanks to everyone for the kind words! 

Yes, it looks good in the photos, but there are many little points I could have done better. 

I guess aiming for perfection is part of the "fun....", I enjoy building and also researching and understanding the context that applies to the aircraft and its markings.