Revel 1/72 Saab Drakken a piece of history

Marklo

A5-BFB917-7598-459-A-BBCF-E6-F4764-FCA00
my intended victim a revel kit that might be as of as I am :)

C8-FDAA2-A-D34-B-4-C3-A-B6-FB-2-C13255-F
The bits hopefully this fills you with nostalgia rather than scaring you.

BBEBC083-4580-4261-A009-E463-D928-B2-C0.This is the scheme I’m going for. Hopefully I won’t have to modify the kit too much. Next step compare my miscellaneous bits of plastic to a set of plans :) 

• Like 4

Good luck. You need longer air intakes, longer tail with the small wheels and a different canopy to start with for those decals.

The old Revell kit is closer to a late prototype than anything else.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Orso said:

You need longer air intakes, longer tail with the small wheels and a different canopy to start with for those decals.

Thanks for that. So if I’m downloading scale plans which model am I looking for? I’m guessing the J-35 OE.

Edited by Marklo

Weren't all Ö:s (OE:s for some of you) refurbished, second hand D-models. They retained both wing guns, where as later Filips and Johans had the left one removed to make room for more electronics. I think the refurbishment of Austria-bound Davids included a later model canopy, but I haven't checked/seen all the planes. 

On 2/26/2023 at 3:59 PM, Marklo said:

The bits hopefully this fills you with nostalgia rather than scaring you.

BBEBC083-4580-4261-A009-E463-D928-B2-C0.This is the scheme I’m going for. Hopefully I won’t have to modify the kit too much. Next step compare my miscellaneous bits of plastic to a set of plans :) 

Hi @Marklo,  here's my build of the MisterCraft copy of that kit.  Don't be disappointed - but it's firmly anchored at the bottom of my Draken Totem Pole.

As well as everything @Orso says, noticably it's missing the bulge for the tail bumper wheels.

But that underside symbol looks great!

• Thanks 1

Nostalgia indeed!  That's the box art that I faithfully replicated by painting Testors gloss blue (of some sort) over the kit's molded green.  Uh oh, I feel a "Four Yorkshiremen" moment coming on...

bob

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Uh oh, I feel a "Four Yorkshiremen" moment coming on...

What, like , ‘in my day we couldn’t afford fancy primer and airbrushes and we had to make our own paint by…….’

• Haha 4

On 2/26/2023 at 5:59 PM, Marklo said:

is the scheme I’m going for. Hopefully I won’t have to modify the kit too much. Next step compare my miscellaneous bits of plastic to a set of plans :) 

Hi,

It depends how accurate you want...

When compared this classic Revell kit, an early A-type, to the Austrian ones it has at least different pitot-tube, early short intakes, early low canopy, single under fuselage fuel tank, early fin tip, missing tail wheels and housing of it and short rear fuselage.

I suppose it would be possible to modify it with Heller double-seater parts quite easy to a C-model.

Cheers,

AaCee

0-D0-E768-A-99-BE-41-E7-BA60-24018-D3808

CC43-DA57-9-D37-46-E6-86-E6-E5100-ACD0-A

Plan comparison, plans are a J35OE and  actually compare well. The intakes will need a little work and there are a few bits and pieces that need to be added but nothing major.

The kit also has the most delicate engraved panel lines and rivets and must really have been state of the art in its day. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, Marklo said:

plans are a J35OE and  actually compare well

This is a nice surprice! I'm looking the wing tips. Are they a little long or ailerons too short?

On 3/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, Marklo said:

most delicate engraved panel lines and rivets and must really have been state of the art in its day

Exacrly! In general Revell was ahead their time when this and severall other kits, like DC-7C and Fokker F.27, especially with the engraved surface detailing.

As a random thougt this could be a perfect candidate for Finnish DK-200. It was an instructional airframe of type "Adam Kort", that is early J-35A with short tailcone.

Cheers,

AaCee

18 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

As a random thougt this could be a perfect candidate for Finnish DK-200. It was an instructional airframe of type "Adam Kort", that is early J-35A with short tailcone.

8-C0-C9-D8-D-110-D-4103-B81-E-F0-F751865 
A DK 215 I’m liking the colour scheme….

Edited by Marklo

4589-DD8-A-D926-4-BBB-AE73-E694-BB019094
This is the artwork I’ve done for the Austrian machine. I’m not entirely sure the tail marking will work. Do the Finnish one might be a good alternative…..

Actually now that I think of it If I make a tape mask for the outline and a black on clear decal for the detail that probably would work.

Edited by Marklo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG-2227.jpgAdded a homemade resin seat. Just a stick and the office is finished.

IMG-2228.jpg

Extended the intakes with some plastic sheet. Masked the areas I don’t want y damage. I’ll use some milliput to finish off the area once the glues set.

• Like 3