453rd BG Museum Build #2 - P-47D "KOKOMO", Tamiya 1/48 - Completed!

giemme

Hi everybody; for those following the 453rd BG Museum builds, here's my second entry after the P-51D I built and delivered to the Museum in Old Buckenham last year. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, a search in the forum for "453rd BG Museum build" will provide the whole back ground story :winkgrin:

Anyway, this is the second kit Jim (the Museum curator) sent me a couple of years ago, and it's about time I started building it! :banghead: 

The kit is the well known Tamiya 1/48 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Bubbletop":

boxart

Let's have a look inside the box, shell we?

sprues1

sprues2

sprues4

Three main sprues with lots of details already (note in the last one there's a pilot figure and three different kinds of propellers), plus tow additional sprues with payload and tanks and other details

sprues5

Transparencies

sprues3

Huge decals/stickers sheet:

decals

(won't be using many of those.... :winkgrin:)

Jim also added this AM PE fret:

am

And this is the specific airframe I'm going to build:

instructions

Also shown a this link:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-content/gallery/usa/aircrafts/p-47d/P-47D_42-26637_Kokomo_Kepner_2.jpg

What is peculiar about this aircraft, besides the nose art, is that it was used in a training unit and was the personal mount of Maj. Gen. Kepner; it was kept to a minimum load possible, so no drop tanks or any other hanging bits and pylons, and the outer gun barrels were removed and blanked out, leaving her with 6 machine guns in place of the standard 8.

Construction has not started yet, but will soon with the cockpit; in that regard, there's a nice thread right here on BM on how confusing the situation about cockpit color is on this AC, but I think I'll go with the general consensus reported there and paint it Dark Dull Green; now, if only I had a clue about how that color looks like..... :confused:  :D  :D  

All comments and advice most welcome

Ciao

• Like 22

13 minutes ago, Andrés S. said:

Maybe this will help you.

Andrés.

Definitely! Thanks Andrés!  :thumbsup: 

So according to that thread, FS34092 turns out to be quite a good match, and I have the Lifecolor equivalent for that. Now I can start with the cockpit!

PS: it goes without saying, but the pre-painted eduard PE parts have nothing to do with that color....

Ciao

• Like 5

1 hour ago, giemme said:

it goes without saying, but the pre-painted eduard PE parts have nothing to do with that color....

Colour (fnaar) me surprised. 

Taking a seat. Do I see correctly that the big T has inserts in the wing for a later airbrake equipped version?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Colour (fnaar) me surprised. 

Taking a seat. Do I see correctly that the big T has inserts in the wing for a later airbrake equipped version?

Welcome on board! :thumbsup: I didn't know Jugs had airbrakes at  a certain point: where did you spot the inserts? I can take a closer pic at the relevant sprue so you can tell

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooooh yeah! Front row seat. Pass the nuts. 😍

not using the decals huh. 😉

Johnny

ps.

sooooo does this mean another visit to the museum? 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Looks likely Johnny, plans?

Welcome both :thumbsup:

Definitely planning another visit, I see no other suitable way for delivering the completed model to the museum  :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 5

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I didn't know Jugs had airbrakes at  a certain point: where did you spot the inserts?

parts 20 & 22 next to the bottom wing halves.  
Dive brakes were fitted to D-30s onwards and P-47M models - basically the super-duper-high speed version of a D-30 model. 

Not for dive bombing, but in general to reduce accidents due to compressibility in high-speed dives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Welcome both :thumbsup:

Definitely planning another visit, I see no other suitable way for delivering the completed model to the museum  :winkgrin:

Ciao

That seems a suitable way to do it G, I might go to E.A if it isn't clashing with my trip to France in June.

Might be fun, maybe even less frantic than meeting buddies at Telford. Maybe  :)

• Like 3

I'm in!

I have a P-47D Razorback in 1/48 from Jim so I'll be watching this one with great interest…

I'll get in touch with Jim about another visit this year. Watch this space (or email).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2023 at 23:25, alt-92 said:

parts 20 & 22 next to the bottom wing halves.  
Dive brakes were fitted to D-30s onwards and P-47M models - basically the super-duper-high speed version of a D-30 model. 

Not for dive bombing, but in general to reduce accidents due to compressibility in high-speed dives.

Well spotted, those two parts are inserts:

instructions2

On 27/02/2023 at 09:48, perdu said:

That seems a suitable way to do it G, I might go to E.A if it isn't clashing with my trip to France in June.

Might be fun, maybe even less frantic than meeting buddies at Telford. Maybe  :)

Definitely going to be fun! :winkgrin:  

On 27/02/2023 at 17:08, CedB said:

I'm in!

I have a P-47D Razorback in 1/48 from Jim so I'll be watching this one with great interest…

I'll get in touch with Jim about another visit this year. Watch this space (or email).

Ah good - should basically be the same kit, with a different spine insert (if yours is a Tamiya too, that is)

Some progress made over the last week or so, here it is: main cockpit parts cut off their sprues

cockpit1

and quickly dry fit into the fuselage

cockpit2

Even with the windshield on, there's a lot of cockpit that will remain visible - for once! :D 

I started with the IP, removing the molded in detail to allow for the photo-etched parts:

IP1

Also, that central bit needed to be removed, it's not on the PE and neither in any of the pics of P-47Ds I could find.

For the PE IP, I decided (as opposed to what I usually do) to not use the printed clear sheet for the gauges, because I wanted to test a different thing. So I went with the double PE layer and put drops of clear UV resin inside the bezels, to reproduce the glass effect. What do you think?

IP2

Still missing a bunch of small PE levers, but I will add them later, right before completing the cockpit assembly.

I also drilled out these two holes in the rudder pedals, that were originally molded blind

cockpit3

Then these bits received a Tamiya Flat Black base coat (by airbrush, thinned with cellulose thinner)

cockpit4

Same for the seat

cockpit5

After a few hours curing, I airbrushed on the Dark Dull Green color, using Lifecolor UA008 (FS34092) paint, thinned with my usual mix of water and IPA

cockpit6

Same for the seat (paint still wet here)

cockpit7

I did a bit of work on the gunsight too: after removing the central molding line (I had to polish back to clear the lens after that, and give it a coat of Aqua Gloss), I brush painted the structure with Vallejo Flat Black

gunsight1

Some PE bits to go on that as well, but not before it has properly cured.

That's it for the day, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 17

4 hours ago, giemme said:

For the PE IP, I decided (as opposed to what I usually do) to not use the printed clear sheet for the gauges, because I wanted to test a different thing. So I went with the double PE layer and put drops of clear UV resin inside the bezels, to reproduce the glass effect. What do you think?

IP2

I used to use the clear film, until I tried the UV resin instead. I haven’t looked back!

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2023 at 01:13, CedB said:

Excellent work Giorgio - following closely for mine!

Yes, it is the Tamiya kit :) 

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup: Good to know you have a Tamiya too :) 

On 06/03/2023 at 03:04, billn53 said:

I used to use the clear film, until I tried the UV resin instead. I haven’t looked back!

I can see why :thumbsup:

On 06/03/2023 at 04:06, VT Red Sox Fan said:

G, what can I say, its you and its a radial--I am all in!  Looking forward to learning more about Tamiya's P-47, the aircraft and the many tips you bring to the forum--best, Erwin

Cheers Erwin, thank you! :thumbsup:

Alright, more painting done on the interiors; next shot shows the main tub parts

cockpit8

The floor is more or less done, with PE added (the left hand console received three small PE levers, now painted black but I need to find a pic of that area to check for the real colors), a black tempera wash and some drybrushing with white oil to give it a slightly worn out look - it still needs a flat clear coat to complete the job, though. The bulkhead is basically done too, again missing the final flat clear coat. Both side walls received an initial detail painting, but there's still lots to do and some PE parts to add.

Seat painted and dry brushed for metal chipping

cockpit9

cockpit10

I want to add the PE harness before doing any more weathering, though.

And finally, the IP+rudder pedals+gunsight assembly

IP3

This still missed (more than) a few PE parts, but the pedals are in their final state, with chipping and black wash and flat clear coat already on.

I'm off to France for a few days during the week (business trip), so next update will be next WE.

All comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 17

Slips in late at the back having missed the start ............ still managed page 1 at least!

Great subject Giorgio, and your usual flying start. Something very brutish but beautiful about a Thunderbolt. Love that IP.

I'm planning to start my first museum build soon, an East Wretham P-51D green nosed Mustang. Slight delays on all aviation builds at the moment as I'm halfway through a tank target commission build for the Tank Museum here in Dorset.

Looking forward to following this one.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oooh too.  Also just noticed that progress has been made.  Also think things are looking 👌 and well up to the usual standard.  Will try to have an original thought to express for next time… ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 13/03/2023 at 16:05, Brandy said:

Nice start Giorgio.

Enjoy France, shame it's business though.

Ian

Thanks Ian! :thumbsup: All I enjoyed of France was the 2.000 kms drive on the highway.... up to Rennes and back.... 😓

On 14/03/2023 at 10:01, Terry1954 said:

Slips in late at the back having missed the start ............ still managed page 1 at least!

Great subject Giorgio, and your usual flying start. Something very brutish but beautiful about a Thunderbolt. Love that IP.

I'm planning to start my first museum build soon, an East Wretham P-51D green nosed Mustang. Slight delays on all aviation builds at the moment as I'm halfway through a tank target commission build for the Tank Museum here in Dorset.

Looking forward to following this one.

Terry

Cheers Terry, thanks! :thumbsup: Looking forward to watch your Museum build too! :popcorn:

On 14/03/2023 at 11:01, CedB said:

Those internals are looking marvellous!

Glad you like them, Ced :thumbsup: There's more below

On 14/03/2023 at 12:05, hendie said:

all looking very nice and up to the usual standard I see.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

On 17/03/2023 at 22:14, The Spadgent said:

Oooh that’s looking fantastic!  Sorry I only just caught up. 
Ip details and that sight are 👌

Johnny

No problem Johnny - thanks and welcome on board! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Oooh too.  Also just noticed that progress has been made.  Also think things are looking 👌 and well up to the usual standard.  Will try to have an original thought to express for next time… ;)

Alright, just for this one time we'll let this pass... :rofl:  :rofl: Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Alright, busy week, as I anticipated, and busy WE too, so I didn't get much bench time. Here it is, anyway: with the addition of a few PE levers and the "manual" gunsight, the IP was completed

IP4

better viewed form here, maybe

IP5

Control stick painted, weathered and flat clear coated

cockpit11

In preparation for joining the fuselage halves, I assembled the main wing spar and painted the visible part with YZC (actually, a home brewed mix of Tamiya Flat Yellow and Tamiya Flat Black, airbrushed on top of a Tamiya Flat Black base coat)

wings1

I did also brush on a protective gloss clear coat, but will complete the painting only after I insert this in the fuselage and prior to sticking on the wings.

Two inserts needed to be added to each fuselage half at this stage, representing the two typical vents seen on the model (actually, I think one is an actual vent while the other is a sort of deflector....); anyway, I painted their inside brushing on some Model Master Metallizer Burnt Metal, using the stiff brush technique

vents1

In place

vents2

I also painted and weathered the cockpit areas that will remain visible once the tub assembly is in place

cockpit12

As you can see, I also airbrushed YZC (again, on top of a black base coat) in the rear wheel well

cockpit13

Still plenty to do on the cockpit parts, but they'll have to wait for next time. I also managed some time on the Greek F-4E Phantom, so for this one it'll be all for now.

All comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 18

On 19/03/2023 at 23:13, The Spadgent said:

Blimey that was a flurry of activity. Lovely colours G. 🙌

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

This WE I managed some substantial progress on this build - let's see: a couple of preparation jobs on the fuselage halves, before joining them. I airbrushed Tamiya Flat Black followed by YZC on the sides that will be visible inside the main wheel wells:

wheelweels1

While I was at it, I did spray the wheel wells themselves

wheelweels2

and this area where the two small intakes are:

intakes1

The intakes themselves need to be painted in various metallic hues, but that can wait :winkgrin:

Next was the turbosupercharger aft exhaust duct: MMM Exhaust painted on using the stiff brush technique, with the actual exhaust that received a reddish filter and a black tempera wash (again by brush)

exhaust1

So, the only thing preventing the fuselage halves to mate was... completing the cockpit :D Here are the main parts, with all the various PEs added, detail painting, drybrush, black wash and flat coat to seal it all

cockpit13bis

Some details

cockpit14

cockpit15

cockpit16

cockpit17

cockpit18

All there, bar the IP

cockpit19

cockpit20

And with the IP in place

cockpit21

I had to enlarge the slots in the sidewalls for the IP to fit, because of the added thickness due to the PE parts. No big deal, but I should have really thought of it beforehand .... :banghead:

cockpit22

cockpit23

cockpit24

A quick dryfit

fuselage1

and then on with TeT

fuselage2

There's quite a non-Tamiya gap on the bottom that will need some careful filling - luckily that area is going to be painted over with black and white stripes, and not left bare metal  :phew:

Alright, this is curing as I type, next will be the spine/fin assembly. Meanwhile, all comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 22