Combrig 1/350 HMS Victoria

For me, the Victorian Age will always be the pinnacle of Europan history. If I had a time machine, I´d go bach to 1898, to Britain, Germany, France, Belgium or Italy. Such a wonderful time, Europe at the peak of imperial splendour and might, Britain not yet ruined by WWI, France risen again after the defeat of the Franco-Prussian war, its 3rd republic in full swing, Germany celebrating the 10th year of Emperor Wilhelm the 2nd... I could write on and on about that time, but that is a ship forum so let me say that the world has not seen more interesting ships then in the late ironclad/pre dreadnought period. Unfortunately, this time period has been criminally neglected by all mainstream plastic model manufacturers (with a few exceptions) so I had to turn to small Russian resin model manufacturer Combrig. After months of tinkering, improvisation and (a little) frustration, I finished HMS Victoria. While some flaws remain the ship turned out quite beautiful I think, echoing, I hope, a tiny little bit of that Victorian splendour, majesty, beauty and power. I want to thank everyone who followed me on my little construction journey on the "work in progress" thread, who inspired and motivated me to continue and at last, to finish her. Comments and criticism are most welcome. BTW some pictures turned out a bit greenish, that is an effect of the light, the white portions are indeed white...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Micha_Pol
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good choice of era.

Good choice of ship.

Good build.

Good brass.

Good paint.

Good rigging.

Good display.

Good photos.

Good WIP.

Good all the way!

That faultless performance all adds up to something quite special and I've bookmarked her in my personal 'inspirations gallery' where she is one of only three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Micha - that is a truly superb model - your level of precision and finishing skill is enviable.

One of my favourite models this year :clap2:

Rob

I feel mightily honored, to hear praise for my humble work from an expert modeller like yourself. Thanks to everyone else too, glad you like her. I firmy believe the is a market from late 19th early 20th century ships out there, but the plastic model manufacturers don´t see it. Instead, they are showering us with made-up or uncompleted ships (Weser, Montana, Barbarossa, Graf Zepellin). Where is HMS Powerful? HMS Majestic? SMS Victoria Louise? Armored Cruiser Jeanne´d Arc? SMS Hagen? USS Indiana (BB-1) etc.?

• Like 3

I agree that this era is distinctly neglected in terms of model opportunities. The speed of change was enormous, the Royal Navy had spent hundreds of years with wooden ships, then went from HMS Warrior to the Orion class super-dreadnoughts in the next 50 years. HMS Devastation is a personal favourite as the first ship with a design that evolved into modern battleships, but I love all the side developments as well. 

Your model is superb, as others have also said. It really shows us what can be done with the combrig kits, although I doubt I have the patience or the wallet for the resin kits. Your etch work is immaculate. I'd imagine sailing on this ship can't have been much fun, the funnels seem desperately short to be that far forward, must have been pretty dirty on deck. I love the look that almost feels half ocean liner though, you can imagine her with passengers if the turrets weren't there.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, Micha_Pol said:

I firmy believe the is a market from late 19th early 20th century ships out there

I'd love to see it, my personal preference would be for more real ships as well instead of the what if selections. For me the window of HMS Warrior - Revenge class has so much potential, as does the cold war era (in 1/350 for sure) and there's also a lot of real RN WW2 ships yet to be modelled, so much unused opportunity to get us ship modellers to part with our money ☹️

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

I agree that this era is distinctly neglected in terms of model opportunities. The speed of change was enormous, the Royal Navy had spent hundreds of years with wooden ships, then went from HMS Warrior to the Orion class super-dreadnoughts in the next 50 years. HMS Devastation is a personal favourite as the first ship with a design that evolved into modern battleships, but I love all the side developments as well. 

Your model is superb, as others have also said. It really shows us what can be done with the combrig kits, although I doubt I have the patience or the wallet for the resin kits. Your etch work is immaculate. I'd imagine sailing on this ship can't have been much fun, the funnels seem desperately short to be that far forward, must have been pretty dirty on deck. I love the look that almost feels half ocean liner though, you can imagine her with passengers if the turrets weren't there.

I'd love to see it, my personal preference would be for more real ships as well instead of the what if selections. For me the window of HMS Warrior - Revenge class has so much potential, as does the cold war era (in 1/350 for sure) and there's also a lot of real RN WW2 ships yet to be modelled, so much unused opportunity to get us ship modellers to part with our money ☹️

Thank you for the kind words. It´s funy you mention the funnels, since these are the long funnels. HMS Victoria originally launched with much shorter ones, they were lengthened later (presumably during the refit on Malta after her grounding) due to issues with fuel combustion. Combrig actually gives both short and long funnels to choose from. Here is the "original" Victoria, funnels seem to be about 40% shorter.:

spacer.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MilneBay said:

Lovely model of a ship from an extremely interesting era of ship design.

Thanks. She totally is. It was an amazing time in shipbuilding. I recently aquired some rather rare 1/350 models of two 1870s Ironclads - the all-round warships of the Russian Black Sea fleet Novgorod and Vice-Admiral Popov. I´ll gladly show them here once completed (one day...)

spacer.png

• Like 2

That's a delightfully beautiful build. And out of a Combrig resin kit too. The shading on the hatches on the white portion of the hull is just perfect.

She oozes imperial splendour as befits her era. Very very nice indeed.

• Like 1