I seem to have lost my mind...   :mental:  

Over in the Dassault GB I am building two Mirage IIIs and a Mirage F1.   In this GB I am building two Mirage IIIs.  So in the interests of symmetry it seems only fair that I build a Mirage F1 as well.

So far, every Mirage F1 that I have built in French markings has been in the classic blue air defence scheme.  I fancied a change in the Dassault GB and so am building an F1CT in the tactical scheme, which I have never done before.  It changes the whole look of the aircraft.   I'm very pleased with how that build is progressing as the camouflage looks really good, so I suddenly had the urge to build another...   :wall:  

This will be a Mirage F1CR using the last of my Special Hobby "simple kits".  Not to worry though, I still have plenty of boxed SH F1s in The Stash.  I'm planning on building a Greek one in the Southern Europe GB and a Spanish one in either the Southern Europe GB or the Desert GB.    :hmmm:   Just had a very silly idea...  

But back to this build.  Here is the kit with the in-progress F1CT in the background.

spacer.png

The sprues, in photos cribbed straight from my F1CT build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals will be from this Print Scale sheet to represent an aircraft of ER 1/33 Belfort.

spacer.png

• Like 16

The interior built up and ready for fuselage assembly.   Experience has shown me that it is a good idea to remove the locating pegs on the jetpipe and also reduce the length of the jetpipe slightly.

spacer.png

This aircraft carried an IFR probe.  However, I elected to use the nose half without the probe as I know for a fact that I will just knock it off at some point during assembly.  :wall:   I will add the probe as one of the final items.  The wings and fin are just push-fitted at this point.

spacer.png

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The interior built up and ready for fuselage assembly.   Experience has shown me that it is a good idea to remove the locating pegs on the jetpipe and also reduce the length of the jetpipe slightly.

spacer.png

This aircraft carried an IFR probe.  However, I elected to use the nose half without the probe as I know for a fact that I will just knock it off at some point during assembly.  :wall:   I will add the probe as one of the final items.  The wings and fin are just push-fitted at this point.

spacer.png

Nice work, fast progress.

That looks like quite a bit of weight behind the nose gear bay, have you put any in the nose as well?

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

That looks like quite a bit of weight behind the nose gear bag, have you put any in the nose as well?

No.  That is 10g in the fuselage, which seems a lot but because it is so close the the undercarriage, it has less of a moment.  I think only 5g would be needed in the nose but it would be difficult to fit that in, even using liquid gravity.

• Like 1

Ah, watching carefully, as I am building the same kit! :) Mine will be a F1CR with the little prince and the battle axe on the other side.

Alex

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

No.  That is 10g in the fuselage, which seems a lot but because it is so close the the undercarriage, it has less of a moment.  I think only 5g would be needed in the nose but it would be difficult to fit that in, even using liquid gravity.

That's good it's only 10g at that point, I was concerned it needed a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Proceeding at pace...  Joints cleaned up. Windscreen fitted and masked, together with the cockpit, intakes and jetpie interior.

spacer.png

Pre-primed with a coat of lacquer and then primed with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

The model was sprayed overall with Lifecolor UA-073.  The camouflage pattern was then masked with my usual technique of Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.  I neglected to take a photo of this stage, but here is the equivalent stage from my F1CT build in the Dassault GB.

spacer.png

Sprayed with Lifecolor UA-238 and masking removed.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...