1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc MA368 IAF (Bonus KP Spitfire Vc side build)

Madmaks

Greetings. Since I got the wonderful book "Spitfires in the Sun" I have been trying to build some of the planes beautifully profiled in it. 

These profiles include Spitfire VC MA 368 that went through some interesting paint transitions since it got to India. Having the KP and Airfix kits I am going to try to build at least 2 of the profiles for this aircraft from the book. 

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 2

First, the build on the Airfix kit. I got the Kits World spitfire seat belt decals and it took me a while to figure out but I think I got it more or less to passable.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Reduced the wing root gap by a decent margin as I factored in the dihedral but the fuselage joint below will need some additional gap filling.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 5

Some putty, CA, sanding later the gaps seem to have been taken care off. The vokes filter also required some careful sanding and pressure to greatly reduce/eliminate the gap.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Great start and great project too,  will follow with interest.   You may be aware already, but a filler using CA and talcum powder is wonderful and if you use a bit more talc it is easier to sand and can be sculpted too.

Apologies is teaching to such eggs.

Great progress

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start and great project too,  will follow with interest.   You may be aware already, but a filler using CA and talcum powder is wonderful and if you use a bit more talc it is easier to sand and can be sculpted too.

Apologies is teaching to such eggs.

Great progress

Chris

Thanks Chris. I was out of talc so just added CA with the putty at the joint below and it worked. It's only when one really needs something that you realize you are out 😬

• Like 2

Got all the main parts glued. Working on the KP Spitfire for a bit while everything cures on the Airfix. Big question is what color scheme to choose for both as I need to make that decision soon. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

• Madmaks changed the title to 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc MA368 IAF (Bonus KP Spitfire Vc side build)

Nice work on the Airfix Vc! Now that's one Spitfire kit I don't have (yet), but I suspect I may have the KP Spitfire Vc (it might be a Vb*). At any rate, always nice to see a Spitfire(s) being built!

Regards,

Jason

*Checking my voluminous and occasionally accurate list of kits, it is the four-cannon-armed Vc version (I also have a KP Vb). It looks to be a nice kit.

• Like 3

Thanks Jason and yes,  the KP is the four cannon version.

The KP kit has a nice bit of detail but fitting the cockpit in and getting the fuselage halves together helps you revise all the cuss words you know 🤬 I think I will  work on masking a work in progress Sepecat Jaguar for a bit before I start working on the KP's wings.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Struck gold! I found this in my decal stash yeehaww!

spacer.png

This means I can build the Airfix Vc as this -

spacer.png

However tragedy struck the KP build. I was careless and some glue seeped through the clamps as I was putting together the main wings. Some sanding and rescribing is required to restore order to the universe but I will get to it soon enough. Need to focus on the Airfix build for now.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, Madmaks said:

The KP kit has a nice bit of detail but fitting the cockpit in and getting the fuselage halves together helps you revise all the cuss words you know 🤬

Strange.  They're a bit fiddly, but generally slide neatly in from the bottom. 
The Vokes tropical filter housing tends to be my pitfall usually.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I might have gone about it the wrong way and I wasn't careful enough as the plastic for the control panel is a little brittle and cracked in a couple of places as I was putting it together. Nothing too serious.

I do see a big gap between the wing and bottom fuselage joint below though. Might need some plasticard filler or some milliput for that.

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 4

Picked up my air brush after a few months and noticed the needle was slightly bent at the tip. Good thing I always keep a cpl of needles in my spares box. I primed using Vallejo Air Blue Grey largely because I am part of a MiG-21 group build as well and the scheme I will build for that requires air superiority grey and I wanted to see if blue grey is close enough. Anyway, the only seam line sort of showing through is the one running through the vokes filter. Should be a quick fix.

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 6

Minor progress today - got the propeller set-up glued and painted and worked on the smaller bits and bobs. Also glued back and did paint touch-ups on this old 1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk VIII that had met with an accident. Happy to be able to put it out on display again 😊

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 4

Took a nicer shot of the resurrected Hasegawa Spitfire in between meetings. Hope to get back to painting the Airfix Vc later this evening. I also need to start rescribing the part of the KP wing that got glue on it. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Added a light coat of Vallejo Air Medium Sea Gray last night. I usually use Tamiya but trying out all Vallejo colors this time. I will add another light coat this evening before moving to the upper surfaces.

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 2

Got some dark earth on. It's well past midnight. Will see how it cures overnight and if I need another light coat or touch-up in the morning. If all goes well, I will mask and get the dark green also done after work.

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 2

On 26/02/2023 at 17:07, alt-92 said:

With KP Spitfire Vc and Seafire Ib on the bench at the moment, I'd agree. My strategy is seat frame bulkhead in first, then IP bulkhead, then floor, and finally gas bottles. The bulkheads slid in nicely on my kits.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1