1/48 Tarangus SF/SH37 Viggen

I don't have time for this! I don't have time for this! (Too many good group builds this season!)

Let's try anyway. The stash is over filled and needs some slimming. 

I haven't figured out which one to build yet. Apparently both (normal pointy nose and the camera laden nose, (ok I don't remember which is which) are reconnaissance aircraft. One is just maratime version with applicable radar. Other one obviously has all the cameras in the nose. I'll probably do the camera nose version (SH right?). Both versions have the splinter camouflage version which I have to do I guess! The grey looks modern and very sleek but if this is the only Viggen I ever build...

52710512636_abdc008847_z.jpg

There are too many sprues to photograph all of them, but trust me it's unstarted! 

52710989523_5d9f548720_z.jpg

Will try paint this tomorrow.

52709989057_88f7352ae2_z.jpg

I'm gonna try "blitzbuild" this one excluding the paint job as I don't have time for this in my life right now. But we do these things not because they are easy...

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a bit more done on this. She's going to need a little filling here and there but I am adamant to make this a fast build so not too much messing around with it! 

52740675621_e9dc7144f8_z.jpg

And after a few hours work I have something almost Viggen shaped! 

52740158287_8f35acfc08_z.jpg

Much excitement. 

And a shot with little cousin, which I'll hopefully paint tomorrow. (First non group build build in..... a very long time!) Perhaps 4 years or more! It will be Saudi Airforce markings. 

52741165548_e9193d3f79_z.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away from the forums for quite some time. Life getting in the way as it often does. But finally a Friday night free and managed to get this all together and (more than) a lick of filler on. Was trying to sand it but filler needs to dry over night as it kept smearing.  Plenty more to do of course, and possibly not enough time but let's see how it goes. Canards dry fitted only.

Definitely Viggen looking now! It looks especially badass and more modern with the recce nose I think!

52768540476_aaa3413a2b_z.jpg

52768556011_00c304637b_z.jpg

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 8

The Viggen is certainly a radical set of shapes and does look rather cool. Hopefully you'll not need too many rounds of fill/sand/repeat before it's ready for paint.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Goodday @arfa1983

how could I have missed the start of your Viggen. Great job so far, and very quick. If you some information ask me, I‘ve got a good book about all the Viggen variants and may be able to answer. I‘ve put my Viggen aside for the moment, as I am involved in GBs. Habe fun with your build, it‘s such a cool jet. 

12 hours ago, Sam said:

Goodday @arfa1983

how could I have missed the start of your Viggen. Great job so far, and very quick. If you some information ask me, I‘ve got a good book about all the Viggen variants and may be able to answer. I‘ve put my Viggen aside for the moment, as I am involved in GBs. Habe fun with your build, it‘s such a cool jet. 

Thanks Sam! Yes I've finally worked on it tonight and it's ready for primer! All other parts cut off and landing gear assembled too.

52817602129_e7e4ab5d21_z.jpg

I also picked these up during recent trip, sorry, pilgrimage, to aviation megastore in NL. I will have to manually mask the nose but it's gonna save me a little time compared to a full manual mask job.

52817857608_9bf570e071_z.jpg

I also picked up some Ukrainian Foxbot decals and masks for my 1/48 Mig-29. Unfortunately I didn't notice they are 1/32 😐. Seems like I have a 1/32 Mig-29 in my future. 😀

Now where did I put those eduard canopy masks....

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nice to see a Viggen being made for this GB. I had hoped to join in with the Special Hobby 1/72 SH but I just don't have the time and there are too many great GBs this year! Good luck with the splinter camo :like:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great recce Viggen

:)

Seems you have fine the hard plastic part :)

now to the even harder splinter :D

Hi exdraken, I primed today and a lot more sanding and a little more filling required unfortunately before I get on to the splinter. I know the camo will hide a lot of the imperfections but it's just a little too rough at the moment. 

There is hope for sure though of getting it done in time if I get a few more good weekends in.

I did prime all my shelf of doom kits today however and the 4 year old Tamiya F-16 has 'piqued' my interest after a coat of primer .... 

• Like 2

Still moving ahead with this. Not a bad kit but not a shake and bake either. I keep finding imperfections along the lines you can see below so now it's hopefully the last filler but I will need to rescribe (:fraidnot:) as I've lost a lot of detail from the persistent sanding.

52839893281_6cd1ae551a_z.jpg

There is still a fair chance this can make the gallery but I'm not even onto the splinter yet as has been pointed out! 

I've also been working on this (made a cameo earlier in this thread)  to try and build up my 1/72 skills and while it's not as rewarding as 1/48 it certainly progressed a lot faster! A LOT more fiddly though. 

52839322882_ae74d96fb6_z.jpg

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Work on this is continuing at snail pace. However hopefully this is the last of the filling and sanding before painting can begin.

I restored all the panel lines that I could and I think I did a decent job!

52878421820_300c6d5102_z.jpg

I used a tamiya scribing template with tape and a scribing tool and razor saw. 

I finally used a black pen to trace the lines to see how they worked out and it looks ok. 

52878042201_3af1f4a6b5_z.jpg

I'm quite excited to start the painting on this and I really want to try do the scheme justice. 

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...