Defiant Seat Details

PatG

The pics of the example at Hendon, along with those in the books I also have, show the seat as having a padded back but the 72nd scale Airfix kit I'm working on just has it as a plain metal seat so I'm wondering which is correct?

If it should have a padded back then what would be the best or easiest way to add this in this scale, and what colour should it be?

If the latter could be in terms of Humbrol colours, along with the best ways to weather it as well, that would also be a great help too.

Pat.

8 hours ago, PatG said:

The pics of the example at Hendon, along with those in the books I also have, show the seat as having a padded back but the 72nd scale Airfix kit I'm working on just has it as a plain metal seat so I'm wondering which is correct?

Not unusual to see later improvements present on surviving and restored aircraft. The very early Spit seats & Hurricane seats did not have padding, but seats could be replaced (akin to the changes made to the seat pan - most kit seats represent the later rhomboid pan).

8 hours ago, PatG said:

If it should have a padded back then what would be the best or easiest way to add this in this scale, and what colour should it be?

Eduard 3D Space sets sometimes have the padding as 3D printed decal. Most padding is depicted black, but brown was used too.

Or you could use something like Milliput and shape the padding yourself.

y4mi9ycNn5W2yoL4zpvsollQd1k1VWBhTi2f53RV

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help.

I was thinking about possibly using fine (white) Milliput as I could then add the folds of the seat before it sets, or even plastic sheet with the lines scribed?

Would Humbrol 65/Leather be a suitable colour and with a black/dark wash then applied to highlight the vertical folds?

Worst case is I muck this up so end up leaving it as is which also seems to accurate for an early May/June 1940 Defiant.

Thanks again.

Pat.

On 25/02/2023 at 01:57, PatG said:

I think @AndyL is the "go to" name for Defiant questions.  Maybe he could point us in the right direction? Not that that is a slight upon @alt-92's knowledge.  I was just noting Andy 'cos I've seen him provide info on Defiants before.

Good question Pat.  I'm gathering info for the same subject.

cheers

Rob

• Thanks 1

Just another quick question about the seat if I may.

The diagrams and pics in the Franks book on the Defiant, which includes pics of the Hendon example, show the harness coming through a slot in the armoured head rest and then over the seat. However it doesn't appear to be the normal Sutton Harness arrangement which would then also have a part which double backs and fits into a slot at the base of the seat for anchoring.

So did the Defiant have a different harness arrangement to Spitfires and Hurricanes or is this simply missing from the Hendon one?

Pat.

Someone else's interpretation of the seatbelts

I've also got the Alec Brew book "Boulton Paul Defiant  An Illustrated History".   It has 2 rather tantalising cockpit photos (pgs 15 and 16) in which just have the pilot's belts partially in view.  These are not the museum aircraft as far as I can tell.  From the little one can see, they don't look to me like full Sutton harness.   So maybe the simpler arrangement is correct.  Hopefully someone with better knowledge and/or photos will respond.

Hope that helps

Rob

Judging by the 48th scale build plus the extra photos the Defiant didn't have the standard Sutton Harness arrangement so I'm happy to go the same route unless someone has any information to show this is wrong?

Pat.