Airfix 72nd Scale Tempest V - 2023 Release

PatG

Apologies if this is covered else where but I've checked The Rumourmonger section and can't find any reference to it.

Just curious as to whether the re-release of this kit this year is a Series 2, as per the box art which shows it without the protruding canon barrels, or is it just Airfix simply re-boxing with new decals? According to Scalemates it just has new decals which is a shame if this is this correct.

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

Pat.

Ps. similar question also regarding their re-release of the Mosquito B.XVI as the PR version bearing in mind the original errors with the bomb bay doors, although Scalemates suggest it has new parts which hopefully means correct bomb doors this time.

Edited by PatG
extra info

23 minutes ago, PatG said:

Ps. similar question also regarding their re-release of the Mosquito B.XVI as the PR version bearing in mind the original errors with the bomb bay doors, although Scalemates suggest it has new parts which hopefully means correct bomb doors this time.

The PR version does not have bulged bomb bay doors, so those are the new parts

see this in rumour monger

Airfix PR Mossie

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re' the PR.XVI Mossie which I missed on Rumourmonger but can anyone shed any light on whether the Tempest V is being issued as a Series 2 with mods to the parts, or is it just a re-issue with new decals as per Scalemates?

Pat.

The 2023 release is a continuation of the original Rumourmonger thread here 

No parts changes are necessary. The kit includes the cannon barrels as separate parts - see the instructions on Scalemates - so I imagine their plan is for them to simply mark the cannon barrels as "not used" and just leave the wing leading edge apertures open.  Similarly there are underwing tanks already included in the kit's existing release, You also get both types of prop spinner in the kit already, and both four and five spoke wheels. 

You might also be interested in Chris Thomas's comments on late and early Tempest variations here 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024331-concerning-tempests/&do=findComment&comment=2779625

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Thanks for also pointing me in the right direction re' the Tempest V Series 2 release, although I thought there were some other, albeit very minor, differences as well between the Series 1 and 2 in addition to the gun barrels?

Pat.

I did indeed read the Chris Thomas post so thank you for that but it does differ from the 4+ publication and the Bentley plans, both of which are excellent, although the differences are quite minor and do not necessarily delineate a Series 1 versus a Series 2 which I accept.

Pat.

Going from memory, there were only 100 Series 1 Tempests built and the differences to the later Series 2 were - 

1. Extended leading edge wing cannons

2. Five spoke small hub wheels 

3. External strengthening fish plates around the fuselage, just before the hori stab. 
4. Two small blisters on the upper rear wing root fairing (can’t remember why). 

Whatever else was different is probably not that noticeable in 1/72 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

4. Two small blisters on the upper rear wing root fairing (can’t remember why). 

Whatever else was different is probably not that noticeable in 1/72 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The Blisters are there because the S.1 (possibly not the full run?) used Typhoon fuselage centre sections, which differed in the wing spar pick up points. The blisters covered the pins IIRC, and I think there are some below as well (but may not remember correctly).

• Thanks 2

To be fair the 4+ books are excellent and I also have the one on the Wellington (also quite superb) so being printed in Prague (Praha) is not to discredit them as I'm sure not even Chris Thomas would claim to be 100% accurate or definitive.

Few things ever are as new information is discovered over time but the 4+ books are a very fine start point indeed for the types they cover and in my experience are far superior to other series such Warpaint and Squadron/Signal.

Pat.

Thank you Hornet133 for the vote of confidence!  A bit unfair on the Czech 4+ publication though; it is one that I rate among the best on the Tempest - a lot of good information packed into a slim publication. I've just seen PatG's comments and I totally agree. And, although I do my best, I do not claim to be 100% accurate!

I do however disagree with part of the description of the Mk V Series 1.  I believe that the defining differences to the Series 2 were the use of former Typhoon elements (centre section structure and rear fuselage monocoque) and the introduction of the wing with long-range tank fittings. This would mean that only the first 50 of the JN series were Series 1 and the remainder were Series 2. There is one small flaw in the last statement, revealed by looking at the individual histories of Tempest airframes. 

In the last quarter of 1944 it is apparent that all the remaining Series 1 Tempests, most of which were under repair for one reason or another, were refurbished by Hawker and delivered to 20 MU (despite an acute shortage of front-line Tempests at the time - they were of no use to the 2ndTAF without LRT fittings).  From 9 November 1944 onwards, as they became available, they were allocated to 287 Squadron, an an Anti-Aircraft Cooperation Unit.  Among  them was JN751, Beamont's famous 'RB' and the three with the latest serials were JN795, 796 and 797. But, hang on, that last serial, JN797, belonged to the 51st Tempest. However a look at slightly earlier machines shows that the 2nd Tempest, JN730, was the test aircraft for long-range tank trials, leaving 50 Tempest built with without the LRT wing. JN798 onwards had LRT wings and some (eg JN802, 807, 877) survived in front line service through to peacetime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting there were Tempest target tugs in 1944/45, presumably for anti V-1 units fast low level practice, given a big limitation on Typhoon and Tempest production as Sabre engine production, resulting in up to 400 Typhoons being reduced to spares in 1943 as there were not enough engines.  A problem that persisted.

A memo in AVIA 49/229 says 4 of January, 12 of February and 11 of March 1945 Tempest V production slaved to purgatory storage, less engines.  In January 1945 there were 127 Tempest V in storage of which 2 lacked equipment, plus another 2 airframes.  For Typhoons it was 289 in storage of which 37 lacked equipment, plus another 168 airframes.

Peak monthly Typhoon production was actually 130 in December 1942, the average for 1943 was about 95 a month, built back up to 110 a month in the first half of 1944, then declining to around 70 by the end of the year and continuing to drop through 1945. 3 Tempest V in October 1943 then production from January 1944, building to a peak of 72 in November then declining.  It means 826 Typhoons+Tempest V in the first half of 1944, 839 in the second half.  Hawker started building Tempest II in November 1944, Bristol in February 1945.   Hawker started building Tempest VI in June 1945.

If the ability to carry drop tanks did happen at Tempest V production aircraft 51 there were 50 built to end March 1944, if carrying bombs was production aircraft 151 that is in June 1944, rockets at aircraft 351 would be in October 1944.

15 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

Interesting there were Tempest target tugs in 1944/45, presumably for anti V-1 units fast low level practice, given a big limitation on Typhoon and Tempest production as Sabre engine production, resulting in up to 400 Typhoons being reduced to spares in 1943 as there were not enough engines.  A problem that persisted.

The Tempests used by 287 Sqn from November 1944 to June 1946 were standard Tempest V Series 1 aircraft.  The sorties flown were for the benefit of anti-aircraft batteries and radars calibration.  No target towing was involved.  The unit also operated Spitfires, Beaufighters and Oxfords.

Certainly shortage of serviceable Sabre engines was the limiting factor on Typhoon and Tempest production.  Typhoons were constantly in short supply through the winter of 1944/45 despite the apparently large numbers in store.  The problem was that, on top of the engine shortage, the stored airframes were mostly early examples without many essential modifications eg. no sliding hoods, no bomb/RP/LRT facilities and no armour.

The shortage of both types was further complicated by the shortage of pilots, leading to the formation of two new OTUs (which themselves required suitable aircraft and experienced instructors.  As a result, between February and April 1945, three Typhoon squadrons were disbanded and the conversion of two Spitfire squadrons to Tempests was also abandoned.

• Like 3

On a related note regarding the OP. Is the silver scheme natural metal or High Speed Silver? and what would be the case for the Spitfire 22? Just bought the latter and fancy the silver scheme, I'd also like another Tempest but I already built two (one finished as a later a/c with wing tanks and recessed cannon etc) and so I'd like to make it look different.

Thanks

Stuart

1 hour ago, Stuart Wilson said:

On a related note regarding the OP. Is the silver scheme natural metal or High Speed Silver? and what would be the case for the Spitfire 22? Just bought the latter and fancy the silver scheme, I'd also like another Tempest but I already built two (one finished as a later a/c with wing tanks and recessed cannon etc) and so I'd like to make it look different.

Thanks

Stuart

There were not many 'silver' Tempest Vs but among them there were examples that had their paint stripped off and others that were painted 'Aluminium'.  Silver Spit 22s were more common, with more (judging from photos) in the painted Aluminium scheme than 'NMF'.  600 Sqn had a number of F.21s and at least one F.22 in a mixture of both - overall Aluminium but with stripped and highly polished engine cowlings.

I guess your choice will be decided by decal availability.