KP 1/72nd Spitfire PR X, RAF, 542 Sqn. Finished

Mr T

My first entry to this GB will be the recent KP kit of the Spitfire PR X. Originally intended to be the PR equivalent of the Spitfire VII/VIII, it was overtaken by the need to get a higher performance PR Spitfire into service. The 'quick fix' was the PR XI, based on the Mark IX with a high altitude rated engine. The PR X was apparently based on the VII fuselage with a pressurised cockpit, and the enlarged oil tank and wings as of the PR XI. Delays meant that the PR X was late into service, and did not appear until April 1944, and appeared to offer little advantage of the PR XI. It may also have been that the type was overtaken by the PR XIX, the first of which flew in April 1944 and deliveries started in May 1944. Only 16 were built, and not all saw service.

The KP kit shares its sprues and instructions with the PR XI kit. The only differences are a different decal sheet and a fighter type windscreen. Fortunately, the deeper rear section of the canopy found on pressurised Spitfires seems to have been catered for. The box art shows an aircraft in PRU Pink that has been illustrated in profiles elsewhere, but I understand is unlikely to be accurate. The kit parts are cleanly moulded with no flash and what I consider to be an adequate level of interior detail, and exterior details looks well done and not too heavy.

52704058832_65c7de86ba_c_d.jpg

52704058767_434f5f3fa0_c_d.jpg

52704582476_c38417a133_c_d.jpg

No locating pins on the main airframe parts apart from the tailplanes, I can live with that. I remember a time when some authors in magazines suggested that the location pegs should be removed as they obstructed a better fit.

Eee, it were hard bein' a modeller in olden days, no photo etch or fancy paints, and thy could get an Airfix Lancaster for two shillings, and still have enough change to buy all the paints and glue, and a fish supper. Tell it to these young ones today, and they don’t believe you, just cos' it's a pack o'lies. (With apologies to Monty Python)
Python) 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

The KP Spitfires are lovely kits IMO, as you say nicely restrained external detail and reasonably detailed inside, with room for extra details if one chooses.

I find a good way to assemble the cockpit is to assemble the fuselage halves first, and when they're set add the IP and seat/bulkhead from underneath, then wiggle the "floor" in last. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted! :) 

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark, Thanks for the hint, although I have already attached the 'floor' to the IP, Some photos up tomorrow of the nice looking interior. I am just finishing off an Airfix Hawk T.2 and Arma Hurricane as an antidote for all the short run stuff I did last year. 

Martin

• Like 2

Yes, the Hurricanes are brilliant, would be even better if I had not mislaid the photo etch sheet, that still has a couple of bits I need. The Airfix Hawk is one of the few forays I make these days into modern days. It goes together alright, but the surface detailing is overdone, and frankIy couldn't be bothered tho fill and rescribe. On the other hand the decal sheet was brilliant and the stencilling went on with no problems. There is a lot on the Hawk an it shows up against the black surface. 

The Spitfire will take centre stage soon, along with my next entry that will be a vacform. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2023 at 17:26, Mr T said:

Delays meant that the PR X was late into service, and did not appear until April 1944, and appeared to offer little advantage of the PR XI. It may also have been that the type was overtaken by the PR XIX, the first of which flew in April 1944 and deliveries started in May 1944. Only 16 were built, and not all saw service.

The PR X was meant for high altitude work, as it was pressurised. the initial PR XIX were not pressurised,  but once they were it was obsolete. 

been a few threads on the PR.X,  including the idea that it was finished in a high altitude scheme of Medium Sea Grey uppers over PRU Blue underside,  posted by a no longer active poster,  @Colin S-K but he was told this by a former PR pilot.    IIRC they were not very popular to fly.

If you fancy something a little different, and given there were only 16 made....  Sadly the serial not visible but they are colour pics courtesy of @Etiennedup

52540813742_0efee2a0c2_b.jpgApplying Invasion stripes, 4 June 1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

52619124243_1eb3151c1a_b.jpgApplying Invasion stripes, 4 June 1944.  (Photo Two) by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

The box art shows an aircraft in PRU Pink that has been illustrated in profiles elsewhere, but I understand is unlikely to be accurate.

PRU Pink was intended for low level use....    and the PR.X was for high altitude use....  

I can winkle out previous threads if you like? 

HTH

• Like 5

Troy, thanks for the pointers, I have read the other PRX discussions, thus my decision to use PRU Blue. It is interesting about the  unpopularity on the part of the pilots, and something  I had noticed in all the books and articles I have read on the PRX. I have an impression that the additional weight of the pressurisation reduced performance, and that even without pressurisation, the PRXIXs that started to arrive very soon after the PRX, were seen as a much better aircraft. Thanks for posting the PRX photos, shame no serial is visible. It also confirms what I thought from other photos the undercarriage legs and  tail wheel are PRU Blue. 

Mark, I just thought I would have another look around for the PE, and low and behold, it turned up almost straight away! Thanks very much for the offer though. 

Fueslage together tonight, a very good fit. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr T said:

I just thought I would have another look around for the PE, and low and behold, it turned up almost straight away! Thanks very much for the offer though.

Glad to hear it surfaced :) but you're most welcome! Looking forward to seeing an RFI!

Cheers,

Mark

AFAIK pressurised spits had an extra small intake on the Starboard side of the fuselage between the exhausts and windscreen - have KP remembered that? Of course I may be wrong!

Pete

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterB said:

AFAIK pressurised spits had an extra small intake on the Starboard side of the fuselage between the exhausts and windscreen - have KP remembered that? Of course I may be wrong!

Pete

The cabin blower intake.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Pete

I meant to add that the cabin blower was a Marshall 85, which is very popular with vintage MG owners who want to go a bit faster! 

Cheers again,

Mark

PS my MG TC has a Shorrock blower!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

No, spot in. This also shows the Lobelle canopy, deeper rear section and fighter windscreen.

p?i=afeff4440f2ee276bbd2d2d96eff6810

The box art shows an aircraft in PRU Pink that has been illustrated in profiles elsewhere, but I understand is unlikely to be accurate.

This seems to have originated in the On Target book of PR Spitfires by Twaddle Alliance.    

Full of profiles, few pics at times poor research. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

No, spot in. This also shows the Lobelle canopy, deeper rear section and fighter windscreen.

p?i=afeff4440f2ee276bbd2d2d96eff6810

This seems to have originated in the On Target book of PR Spitfires by Twaddle Alliance.    

Full of profiles, few pics at times poor research. 

Never trust a profile without photographic evidence.....as per your sig, Troy :(

Cheers,

Mark 

• Thanks 1

The kit has the part for the blower and the instructions mention its use for the PRX. The canopy is also has the fighter windscreen and deeper rear section. My understanding is that the forward fuselage was a standard Mk VII item suitably modified. 

Interestingly enough in the fairly ancient Harleyford book on the Spitfire, the colour scheme profiles illustrating the various marks shows the PRX in PRU Blue. I would love to know where the idea for the use of Pink came from. The  photos (apart from the colour ones) I have seen for the type seem to come from a set taken as an official 'portrait' for the type, some with the serial obviously censored. They do look pale, but that could easily down to the conditions and type of film used. 

• Like 1

Some proper progress with this kit. Over the last few days I have been doing bits and pieces, but now stuff is coming together. The interior has been painted and the decal seat belts and instruments used. They work quite well and will look OK under a closed canopy. The fuselage halves are joined, some filling will be needed where I botched taking them off the runner. The wings have also been assembled, with the idea they might be attached to the fuselage tonight.

52734389991_a2ee504a0e_c_d.jpg

52734873133_a9da23c7cf_c_d.jpg

This is beginning to come together now, and I think will be OK

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

I would love to know where the idea for the use of Pink came from. The  photos (apart from the colour ones) I have seen for the type seem to come from a set taken as an official 'portrait' for the type, some with the serial obviously censored. They do look pale, but that could easily down to the conditions and type of film used. 

AFAIK, from the On Target profile book. The profile artist , who is also the Xtradecal designer, quite often makes mistakes. I suspect part of it things are done to a price, and on here it's a hobby.  We'd not work for the rate  we'd get paid for the details we require, or no-one would pay a decent rate for the time needed! 

Build progressing well.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

I suppose the question I should have asked is where did he get it from? Unless he thought that a pressurised aircraft with a high altitude rated engine was perfect for dicing. I should have thought that the off white pink colour used was the last colour to use for a high flier, look how easy to is to spot an airliner at height even if not forming a contrail. The regular Canadian  or USN Hercules flights over us at the same heights are all but invisible. 

• Like 2

At last, the kit is looking like a Spitfire. The wings and tailplanes are on, with some filling required. This is probably due to my enthusiasm in cleaning up the parts. I have never come across a 1/72nd scale kit of a Spitfire, even including Eduard, that didn't require some work. Hopefully some paint on in a few days.

52743229080_83ce9545ff_c_d.jpg

52742812371_350cb8e8b8_c_d.jpg

• Like 14

Yes, PRU Blue in the radiator housings. Radiators etc in place and hopefully some paint on tomorrow. We are away from Tuesday to Sunday next week, so nothing will get done. My son is still around to look after the cat, who will become his best friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some paint on before we go away. I do quite like this kit, much better than a lot of KP/AZ kits

52759248287_f6b7a68c87_c_d.jpg

Mrs T likes the colour, much nicer than the grey ones.

• Like 13